Close up of my temples

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Does this look like male pattern baldness? Telogen Effluvium? Maturing hairline? Is there anything else you can conclude from these picture? Also is there any hope of thickening up those smaller hairs?

cLhnmDy.png

xig3oi4.png

abcdefg

Reaction score
I always go male pattern baldness the odds are just so much in favor of that if your a man. I see miniaturized hairs assuming those were at one time normal length terminal hairs. Yes its male pattern baldness. Yes see a doctor and get on propecia its your only option really short of something stronger like dutasteride.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I always go male pattern baldness the odds are just so much in favor of that if your a man. I see miniaturized hairs assuming those were at one time normal length terminal hairs. Yes its male pattern baldness. Yes see a doctor and get on propecia its your only option really short of something stronger like dutasteride.
Thanks for the reply, I did see a dermatologist who said it's nothing but prescribed me 2% Nizoral just in case. I haven't used it yet though, but can I expect much from it? I'm hesitant to go on propecia because I just turned 20 and hormonal things like my beard are still developing and filling in. I might try Minoxidil. Can I expect to regrow all of these hairs?

Also on a separate issue, is there any non genetic reason for why male pattern baldness might start so young? I've gotten pretty obsessive about my hair loss and have done a lot of family research. The only hair loss is on my dads side, in which they started losing hair in their 30-40s and reached NW2/3 then stopped. No one is past a NW3/3.5 in my family/extended family.

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I did see a dermatologist who said it's nothing but prescribed me 2% Nizoral just in case. I haven't used it yet though, but can I expect much from it? I'm hesitant to go on propecia because I just turned 20 and hormonal things like my beard are still developing and filling in. I might try Minoxidil. Can I expect to regrow all of these hairs?

Also on a separate issue, is there any non genetic reason for why male pattern baldness might start so young? I've gotten pretty obsessive about my hair loss and have done a lot of family research. The only hair loss is on my dads side, in which they started losing hair in their 30-40s and reached NW2/3 then stopped. No one is past a NW3/3.5 in my family/extended family.

Its most likely male pattern baldness. The tricky part is working out how rapidly you will lose your hair. You may not be destined for full NW5+ but you could also hit 3/3.5 in the next few years or things might continue to progress slowly.

Minoxidil may give you some regrowth, but minoxidil alone will not retain your hairline.. Its just a growth stimulant.

I would keep a close eye on it and seriously consider finasteride

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Its most likely male pattern baldness. The tricky part is working out how rapidly you will lose your hair. You may not be destined for full NW5+ but you could also hit 3/3.5 in the next few years or things might continue to progress slowly.

Minoxidil may give you some regrowth, but minoxidil alone will not retain your hairline.. Its just a growth stimulant.

I would keep a close eye on it and seriously consider finasteride

Thanks. Just as a general question, what might trigger male pattern baldness to start so early? I doubt it's genetics as no one has started this young in my family.

read1516

Reaction score
I think it will be better to see another doctor. It definitely seems like an male pattern baldness.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
It looks like mild recession there. Its not very noticeable. The thing is brushing your hair back will reveal scalp- in practically everyone.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
So would you say it's male pattern baldness or is it just a normal part of puberty? Should I get on anything?

Brutus

Reaction score
So would you say it's male pattern baldness or is it just a normal part of puberty? Should I get on anything?
It looks like a "mature hairline" but for many guys this means that it'll stay like that for a few years and then start receding/thinning again. I don't think many dermatologists would be willing to prescribe finasteride at this point.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to get on finasteride. Pretty cut and dry.

I'm still developing (beard still filling in for example), don't want to risk messing around with my hormones.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have close ups from my temples from 6 months ago, would it help at all to upload them?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think mild slow male pattern baldness is the worst to deal with because you have no idea what will happen, and the option of finasteride is not the ideal choice for a lot of guys. No one wants to take a drug if they dont have to and doctors are pretty reluctant to prescribe drugs for cosmetic stuff like that especially if its not that severe.
If you have strong male pattern baldness its pretty obvious what to do and what you need. Really we need some anti androgen option that is safer than propecia to use long term.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I think mild slow male pattern baldness is the worst to deal with because you have no idea what will happen, and the option of finasteride is not the ideal choice for a lot of guys. No one wants to take a drug if they dont have to and doctors are pretty reluctant to prescribe drugs for cosmetic stuff like that especially if its not that severe.
If you have strong male pattern baldness its pretty obvious what to do and what you need. Really we need some anti androgen option that is safer than propecia to use long term.

So you think this is 100% male pattern baldness?