Cleaning Ghostbond Xl Off Between Lace Holes

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Majority of the holes are open yes, but some are not.

For me the process of dere is like 1,5h. Maybe because I use glue all over the area?

I don't spend much time cleaning the base actually. Soaking doesn't require my time and scrubbing the glue off, washing with dish washing liquid and soap and then condition is more like 30 mins.
I hear what you're saying, but I think you spend probably 2 hours a month just discussing your attempts to overcome the issues created by leaving it on too long. Respectfully, I think you should just do it two times a month properly and be done with it. You're using everything you should not be using on the system. Such as dish soap, Automotive products, and lighter fluid.

I know the soak time does not physically require you to be actively doing something but it's still loose ends and unfinished business hanging around.

If it takes you an hour and a half to do a poor job. Why are you so against spending two hours ( 1hr 2 times a month) to do a great job?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see what's available, and try to stick to cool showers with Ghostbond in the meanwhile. Not a lot of the products are available locally, and some are shipped e.g via ebay only, Amazon doesn't seem to deliver liquids abroad. But since I'm in the northern Europe, the heat really isn't a problem this time of the year. :)
I've got Walker Scalp Protector, the one with the red cap. Haven't tried without it, so don't know how much it's helping.

I am using the MaxHold Sport, which has the blue label. I find that with two coats, this thing does NOT want to come off my head after one week, and am now wearing two weeks. It's worth getting it.

The red cap is the basic, I have moved everyone over to the Max Hold.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but I think you spend probably 2 hours a month just discussing your attempts to overcome the issues created by leaving it on too long. Respectfully, I think you should just do it two times a month properly and be done with it. You're using everything you should not be using on the system. Such as dish soap, Automotive products, and lighter fluid.

I know the soak time does not physically require you to be actively doing something but it's still loose ends and unfinished business hanging around.

If it takes you an hour and a half to do a poor job. Why are you so against spending two hours ( 1hr 2 times a month) to do a great job?
It takes me 1,5h atleast to dere, so it would be 3h a month. As the glue is still quite fresh then, I think getting the glue off my scalp would maybe take longer then. Also the attachment is still so strong then, it just doesn't seem right.

Cleaning the piece would be a bit easier I guess as most of the glue will be on my scalp, not on the hairpiece, but still atleast 15 mins I think and twice that is again 30 mins.

I just love to attach and forget about it. Yes, Obviously Ive not quite reached this goal yet. But there are others who wear for 1 month with all liquid adhesive bond. Most people here I think use tape.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
It takes me 1,5h atleast to dere, so it would be 3h a month. As the glue is still quite fresh then, I think getting the glue off my scalp would maybe take longer then. Also the attachment is still so strong then, it just doesn't seem right.

Cleaning the piece would be a bit easier I guess as most of the glue will be on my scalp, not on the hairpiece, but still atleast 15 mins I think and twice that is again 30 mins.

I just love to attach and forget about it. Yes, Obviously Ive not quite reached this goal yet. But there are others who wear for 1 month with all liquid adhesive bond. Most people here I think use tape.

I believe the reason it's taking 1.5 hours is because you're letting it get out of hand. Leaving it on a month.

But again, even at 3 hours per month to have it done right........ I don't know why you're so stubborn against doing it properly and with the appropriate products.

Now you're comparing to completely different people with different body chemistry, products, and environments. But to each his own I suppose....You can lead a horse to water....... :)

Fanjeera

Reaction score

Doesn't everyone use dish soap? Even Hairdirect suggests you use dish soap after soaking.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I believe the reason it's taking 1.5 hours is because you're letting it get out of hand. Leaving it on a month.

But again, even at 3 hours per month to have it done right........ I don't know why you're so stubborn against doing it properly and with the appropriate products.

Now you're comparing to completely different people with different body chemistry, products, and environments. But to each his own I suppose....You can lead a horse to water....... :)
As the adhesive is weaker by 4 weeks, removing the system will be quicker than with 2 weeks. Not a very big difference, but if anything then a longer bond will result in a quicker removal.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone use dish soap? Even Hairdirect suggests you use dish soap after soaking.

Hairdirect has some great info and some poor advice as well. Have to take it for what it's worth. Dish soap is very stripping and very drying. If you want to strip a bad dye job everything you read says to use dish soap because it will Rip the color right out of the hair. It's not a good thing for trying to make a hair system look good and last.

Some folks wash their scalp with dish soap before an attachment because It's strips all of the oil from the scalp......It does the same to the hair.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
As the adhesive is weaker by 4 weeks, removing the system will be quicker than with 2 weeks. Not a very big difference, but if anything then a longer bond will result in a quicker removal.
Everyone has their own methods. But it sounds like you have to accept the fact that the "trade-off" is the issue you're creating with the glue in the lace.

As the old saying goes: you can't have your cake and eat it, too. :)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hairdirect has some great info and some poor advice as well. Have to take it for what it's worth. Dish soap is very stripping and very drying. If you want to strip a bad dye job everything you read says to use dish soap because it will Rip the color right out of the hair. It's not a good thing for trying to make a hair system look good and last.

Some folks wash their scalp with dish soap before an attachment because It's strips all of the oil from the scalp......It does the same to the hair.
What would you use to wash the solvent and glue off then? Soap? Shampoo? Laurylsulfate free shampoo (aren't these too mild?)?

Risking to leave some glue on the base is somewhat okay i guess, but not getting the solvent off would be too bad. You need to make sure to really wash the base clean.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
What would you use to wash the solvent and glue off then? Soap? Shampoo? Laurylsulfate free shampoo (aren't these too mild?)?

Risking to leave some glue on the base is somewhat okay i guess, but not getting the solvent off would be too bad. You need to make sure to really wash the base clean.
I wouldn't leave it on to the point that it Gets gooey and makes a mess all over the place. I would redo it bi-weekly.

Like I've been saying, you're creating this problem and you're Then compounding the issue by Using inappropriate products... all Out of stubbornness.

I would follow suit with what they're professionals and most people leaving on this form suggest. Reattach biweekly and use the gold standards for adhesion removal. Isopropyl alcohol or c22.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I wouldn't leave it on to the point that it Gets gooey and makes a mess all over the place. I would redo it bi-weekly.

Like I've been saying, you're creating this problem and you're Then compounding the issue by Using inappropriate products... all Out of stubbornness.

I would follow suit with what they're professionals and most people leaving on this form suggest. Reattach biweekly and use the gold standards for adhesion removal. Isopropyl alcohol or c22.
What should be used to wash off the solvent? The only advice I've read everywhere is that dish washing liquid is for that.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
What should be used to wash off the solvent? The only advice I've read everywhere is that dish washing liquid is for that.
You wouldn't clean after alchohol....but for an oil based cleaner...use Soap and water.

Dishwashing liquid is for washing dishes. :)

There are hair system products designed for each and every related purpose.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/maintenance/basecleaning/solventsoak/mostbases

Step 5: Apply dish soap
After you remove the system from the solvent and removed the loose adhesive, apply some dish soap to the base. Do not rinse the solvent or the base before applying the dish soap.

You wouldn't clean after alchohol....but for an oil based cleaner...use Soap and water.

Dishwashing liquid is for washing dishes. :)

There are hair system products designed for each and every related purpose.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/maintenance/basecleaning/solventsoak/mostbases

Step 5: Apply dish soap
After you remove the system from the solvent and removed the loose adhesive, apply some dish soap to the base. Do not rinse the solvent or the base before applying the dish soap.

I can show you a countless things that may work, but are not ideal.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but Shampoo is for washing hair, dish liquid is for washing dishes, hair system base cleansers is for precisely that.

A large majority of hd tutorials are from well over a decade ago, before speciality products were readily available. They are the number one supplier of hair system products. Do you really think they would suggest dish soap over one of their many specialty products, specifically designed for this exact issue? There are now a dozen+ specific shampoos and cleansers formulated to clean hair system adhesive and residue from the hair, from base, and from the scalp.

Are you wiping the base with a wet and soapy washcloth or are you washing the entire system including hair?

Their objective was to guide you through removal of ,what I would imagine is an oil based solvent, from the base, so you don't create an adhesion problem.

You can use 80 grit sandpaper to exfoliate your face, but that's not the best idea.

Logic 101 is use the right tool for the job. Don't get me wrong.... you've got to do what you've got to do in a pinch, but come on man.
Do as you wish, but you're struggling with problems that most people aren't, and it's because of your approach.

I still feel, if you reattached every two weeks you would not have to try so many unconventional and damaging approaches to fix a problem that you are creating..... the problem would cease to exist.

Not looking to start a personal battle with you as I enjoy our discussions. You had mentioned being a physician as well.... It's quite concerning that you choose to go against guidelines creating a problem and attempt to overcome it with such remiss.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry @TooBad, but "Fairy iquid" is part of our "Salon Toolkit", and we use it to get the C-22 out of the hair after soaking.
Again everyone is entitled to use what they want. I am very happy with my results. What makes you choose something so drying and damaging on the hair?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again everyone is entitled to use what they want. I am very happy with my results. What makes you choose something so drying and damaging on the hair?
Everyone can have the same lure in their tacklebox, but that doesn't mean there's not a better one to catch fish with. I agree many people probably do use dish soap. But as with everything in life, it's about progression. We move forward, learn and better our approaches at things. Dish soap may have been best thing available a decade ago.... and that's why it's been passed down the line to new people getting into the field. Much like many decades ago it was recommended by most mechanics to pour quart of oil in your gas tank oh, that's a terrible idea today. There are many many other examples just like that of things that were standard a long time ago that just kept getting repeated and followed over the years not because it's the best though.

The main point of the thread is his struggle with clean ghost Bond. The dish soap is just a side note in my advice. My position is still that he's leaving it on for too long creating the issue.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think we are on the same page with this.

I only use the Fairy Liquid (not just any dish soap) to get the C-22 out of the hair once it's done its work. It doesn't dry the hair, it's only on for a short time. How do I know this? I have done this many many times on multiple systems, for a number of clients.

So what exactly is it you use?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think we are on the same page with this.

I only use the Fairy Liquid (not just any dish soap) to get the C-22 out of the hair once it's done its work. It doesn't dry the hair, it's only on for a short time. How do I know this? I have done this many many times on multiple systems, for a number of clients.

So what exactly is it you use?

Professional hair Labs makes a complete line of products for these intended purposes. Phl5 and dual action shampoo would be more appropriate in in line with hair care than dish liquid. I'm not sure what fairy liquid is but if its intended purpose of creation is to clean dishes then I would disagree with it.

It's ok to disagree and my examples will come to me later as it's very early in the morning right now. But one that comes to mind is my friend's wife and her concoctions. For years she's been mixing baking powder and other household items in order to treat pimples. They might work slightly. But the better course of action would be to use a tried-and-true specific formula such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. With headlights on cars being plastic now they tend to discolor and fade. There are appropriate kits to fix this by sanding and polishing the polycarbonate. You can read countless threads of people that use off bug spray and toothpaste to do it. Will it make them a little better yes. Is it as effective as the right tools absolutely not.

My position with dishwashing liquid is that it is specifically designed to cut through Grease. That is a complete contradiction to what we are attempting to accomplish with our hair.

Our goal is to have soft supple shiny healthy hair which consists of oils. When you strip those oils out you are drying the hair. can you condition it afterwards and make you feel a little better I'm sure you can. But it'll never be as good as if you didn't strip the oils so harshly in the first place.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know why this thread is going on for so long. Pro Labs has a citrus-based solvent which removes Ghostbond [XL] from both lace and hair.