Cleaning Ghostbond Xl Off Between Lace Holes

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am the one wearing for 3,5--4 weeks. I think it's convenient. The only problem is the difficult cleanup of the lace base afterwards.
I'm so jealous! I only get 1 week with my oily skin :(

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am the one wearing for 3,5--4 weeks. I think it's convenient. The only problem is the difficult cleanup of the lace base afterwards.

Interesting - what is your attachment method? I use Walker Tape Ultra Hold for the perimeter and Walker Tape Safe Grip extended wear adhesive for the front round the hairline (I've also got some Supertape I'm going to try soon too). I suppose you can wear it for longer if you use mostly tape, but with all adhesive I think it'd damage the system pretty quickly if you didn't take it off and clean it at least once every week or week and a half. With 4 weeks, doesn't the glue adhesive start to seep through into the hair and get stuck in it? And don't you get any problems with the bond starting to weaken and the risking the system lifting somewhat? I am curious how you make wearing for 4 weeks work successfully to be honest.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hardly get a week hold with ghost bond..
If I go to the salon for maintenance I get 3-4 weeks with walker tapes n glue, but from last month I am doing it myself hardly getting week hold, I would be happier if I get 2 week hold of it

If I go beyond 3 weeks my scalp itches like hell

@fanzeera how many layers do you apply to get 4-week hold?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
4 weeks without removing the system? Wow, that seems a bit long. It's generally recommended that for most people, you should remove a lace system around once a week to keep it in the optimum condition. I've worn for a week and a half and not had any problems, though.

What was your experience after 4 weeks wearing? You have to be careful because the glue adhesive usually starts seeping through the lace and sticks to the hair if you wear it too long without removing and cleaning it. You mentioned in your post about shampooing a system that you were experiencing problems - I think the fact that you're wearing it for 4 weeks is likely one of the problems too, causing your system to not be in the best condition. Just my thoughts.

It sounds like you haven't learned the basic concepts of hair systems to be honest, eg buying $100 cheap systems, not removing for 4 weeks etc. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just keeping it real. If you want to

I am still fairly new to the world of hair systems, but I've spent a LOT of time educating myself properly on all aspects of them, from buying, sizing, cutting in, attaching, cleaning, removing, looking after them etc. I'd recommend you do the same - perhaps look into the My Hair Experience channel on YouTube (and his ebooks too). It just comes across from your posts that you're making rookie mistakes and haven't properly taken the time to educate yourself on hair systems, hence the problems you're having.

I was answering his question on how to to clean white glue out fo his lace.

I was a daily wearer till today. I've gone two days with this ghostbond-directly-to-poly application. Seeing how it holds up.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Interesting - what is your attachment method? I use Walker Tape Ultra Hold for the perimeter and Walker Tape Safe Grip extended wear adhesive for the front round the hairline (I've also got some Supertape I'm going to try soon too). I suppose you can wear it for longer if you use mostly tape, but with all adhesive I think it'd damage the system pretty quickly if you didn't take it off and clean it at least once every week or week and a half. With 4 weeks, doesn't the glue adhesive start to seep through into the hair and get stuck in it? And don't you get any problems with the bond starting to weaken and the risking the system lifting somewhat? I am curious how you make wearing for 4 weeks work successfully to be honest.
I think my hairpieces are dying mostly because of them getting too dry and dead looking and color fading. That can only happen because of washing in my climate, but weekly dereing would also lead to washing more often. I'm thinking that 4 weeks hold can actually help make the systems last longer because of less washing.
I hardly get a week hold with ghost bond..
If I go to the salon for maintenance I get 3-4 weeks with walker tapes n glue, but from last month I am doing it myself hardly getting week hold, I would be happier if I get 2 week hold of it

If I go beyond 3 weeks my scalp itches like hell

@fanzeera how many layers do you apply to get 4-week hold?
I do 4 layers -- otherwise it wouldn't hold I guess. I try to do them as thin as possible hoping that this would help the cleanup. Not much itching. I work out and sauna a few minutes twice a week, but I don't sweat a lot when I work out, as I only use the machines to train only certain important muscles.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The cotton ball/cotton wool better works perfectly on lace. Just rub the cotton into the affected lace holes in a circular motion, and the cotton will stick the glue. From there just gently pick the cotton bits out with your fingers. It's quite easy.
When it's dripping of solvent still or after what step exactly?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that 4 weeks hold can actually help make the systems last longer because of less washing.

That's an interesting point actually. I've worn for a week and a half with no problems, but 4 weeks would be a good experiment. So you didn't find glue seeping into the hair after the 4 weeks?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
That's an interesting point actually. I've worn for a week and a half with no problems, but 4 weeks would be a good experiment. So you didn't find glue seeping into the hair after the 4 weeks?
WHat do you mean by that exactly? It gets between the lace holes and that's the problem I am looking for a solution for atm. I guess it may also get between the hair then. Not much of a distance from there.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
WHat do you mean by that exactly? It gets between the lace holes and that's the problem I am looking for a solution for atm. I guess it may also get between the hair then. Not much of a distance from there.

The general consensus amongst the hair system community seems to be that if you leave a lace system on too long, you risk the glue adhesive getting into the hair, which is then very hard to get out. I don't know how much truth there is to it, though.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The general consensus amongst the hair system community seems to be that if you leave a lace system on too long, you risk the glue adhesive getting into the hair, which is then very hard to get out. I don't know how much truth there is to it, though.
I am somewhat okay with very hard, but I would like to know HOW to get it away from between the lace holes. I guess the superficial layers come off easily, but the part that has seeped between the lace holes cannot be removed. I guess I have to accept that as the system gets older there will be more and more of unbreakable glue. The newer the system is the less I seem to have this problem, I think. The most difficult are the parts where I do touchups in the back -- there I may sometimes even get glue on the lace.

The instructions say that you should never put the glue directly on the lace. What if it still happens accidentally? Have you ruined a whole system with that? Can't write and ask Prohairlabs, because they would just suggest Ghostbuster which is too expensive for me.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am somewhat okay with very hard, but I would like to know HOW to get it away from between the lace holes. I guess the superficial layers come off easily, but the part that has seeped between the lace holes cannot be removed. I guess I have to accept that as the system gets older there will be more and more of unbreakable glue. The newer the system is the less I seem to have this problem, I think. The most difficult are the parts where I do touchups in the back -- there I may sometimes even get glue on the lace.

The instructions say that you should never put the glue directly on the lace. What if it still happens accidentally? Have you ruined a whole system with that? Can't write and ask Prohairlabs, because they would just suggest Ghostbuster which is too expensive for me.

That's what hair2019 was getting at. It's awesome that you're able to get such longevity out of the bond, but in doing so you're allowing the adhesive to break down and seep through to the hair.... which does so by going through the holes in a lace. That is precisely why you're having such problems cleaning it out. If you cut back to two weeks I think you may have a much easier time with cleanup.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
There must be a way. If all else fails, I am getting out my textile cleaning gun again.

Attached such a system yesterday: https://imgur.com/7tHvP12

Does it look too bad? Going on a week-long mountain skiing trip to the Alps soon with it. Hope it sticks. Used a little tape too on the weakest spots where I usually get lifting.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Dereing too often is too much work, though. I really love this once a month schedule.

If all else fails, I am getting out my textile cleaning gun again.

Does it look too bad? Going on a week-long mountain skiing trip to the Alps soon with it. Hope it sticks. Used a little tape too on the weakest spots where I usually get lifting.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dereing too often is too much work, though. I really love this once a month schedule.

If all else fails, I am getting out my textile cleaning gun again.

Not a super clear picture, but it does appear that the majority of lace holes are open.

Keep in mind. You're dealing with all this anxiety and frustration because you don't want to reattach every 2 weeks vs. 4.
Yet You're spending 48 hours soaking . Countless time picking glue out of lace holes while breathing noxious chemicals. Let's not forget, You're also buying and trying many unconventional chemical products designed for unrelated purposes. Don't get me wrong.... Sometimes you can come across something unconventional that works in a pinch. But these companies have much time and money in research and development to find something that works Well. If a great adhesive were as easy as mixing baking powder with milk and water ( Being facetious regarding the recent DIY homemade adhesive.). I'm pretty sure they would do that instead, and make a ginormous profit.

Everything in life is homeostasis. There has to be a balance ... It has to be easy to apply, have good duration, be easy to clean up, and ideally be safe. There's not only one box to check. I'm sure there's a lot more negative with regard to using lighter fluid and car cleaners than there is positive.

As you know, I've been a big proponent of being aware of the dangers regarding products specifically made for the hair system industry. To use Automotive cleaning agents and lighter fluid just blows my mind. To use on your body is crazy and to use on the system is not wise in my opinion either as There's risk it can cause drying or damage to the hair or base. Again, Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just spend one extra hour a month by detaching twice a month rather than once?

A normal detach and reattach is around an hour, which it is for me and most everyone I've spoken to. You'll actually spend less TOTAL time per month doing 2 attachments....and you will have a much better less damaging bond.

Think about it. The grand majority of people that reattach twice a month spent a total of 2 hours per month. I'm pretty sure, based on all of your posts, that you spent a great deal more than 2 hours per month.

Last edited:

JasonM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to this forum, and just recently got my first hairpiece.

I was going to post a question about the same thing. I've got a Swiss lace with poly back and sides, and I'm using Walker Ultra Hold tape with the poly, and Ghostbond XL for the hairline. After checking the forums, I though these might be a good choice because my head sweats a lot when I do sports.

I have a couple tiny similar spots where the glue has seeped into/through the lace, and I am worried if it'll get worse with time. So far I've only got two weeks with the piece, so not much experience yet. But thinking back, I've tried to fix the hairline on the temples by applying more glue with a toothpick, and these are probably the problem areas for me. I think I'll try applying less glue, and letting it dry more before setting the piece on it, hopefully resulting less seepage. So far the hold seems good enough with three layers, maybe 2 will also do. I'm fine with removing the whole piece every 1 or 2 weeks, if the process is easy enough. Putting it on seems simple enough with some practice, so far removal and cleaning are much more trouble. Poly with tape works really well, I can just pull the tape off and scrub the poly clean with no worries about damaging the piece. Simple, unlike the Ghostbond...

Doing the cleanup I soaked the piece for 10-15 minutes in 99% alcohol, tried cotton swabs, credit card (gently on both sides), and eventually gave up after some improvement on the spots with the seepage. No way I've got the patience to do a more complicated or time consuming glue removal like OP has done. If it gets any worse, I'll bin the Ghostbond and try something else.

Also, what's the easiest way to get the Ghostbond off my head? I wore the piece for a week, applied some alcohol on the base to loosen the glue, and it was really sticky, it gets everywhere, and takes forever to rub and roll off my scalp. What am I doing wrong? There is an easier way, right?

After the first attachment I was careless and applied the glue too wide on my forehead. Tried rubbing it off with cotton swaps and 99% alcohol, and ended up with skin burns which took a few days to heal. Now I'm trying to be careful, and trying to avoid scarring half my scalp with rubbing it too much with alcohol. Should I let the glue dry again to roll it off when it's not so gooey? Are other products any easier?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to this forum, and just recently got my first hairpiece.

I was going to post a question about the same thing. I've got a Swiss lace with poly back and sides, and I'm using Walker Ultra Hold tape with the poly, and Ghostbond XL for the hairline. After checking the forums, I though these might be a good choice because my head sweats a lot when I do sports.

I have a couple tiny similar spots where the glue has seeped into/through the lace, and I am worried if it'll get worse with time. So far I've only got two weeks with the piece, so not much experience yet. But thinking back, I've tried to fix the hairline on the temples by applying more glue with a toothpick, and these are probably the problem areas for me. I think I'll try applying less glue, and letting it dry more before setting the piece on it, hopefully resulting less seepage. So far the hold seems good enough with three layers, maybe 2 will also do. I'm fine with removing the whole piece every 1 or 2 weeks, if the process is easy enough. Putting it on seems simple enough with some practice, so far removal and cleaning are much more trouble. Poly with tape works really well, I can just pull the tape off and scrub the poly clean with no worries about damaging the piece. Simple, unlike the Ghostbond...

Doing the cleanup I soaked the piece for 10-15 minutes in 99% alcohol, tried cotton swabs, credit card (gently on both sides), and eventually gave up after some improvement on the spots with the seepage. No way I've got the patience to do a more complicated or time consuming glue removal like OP has done. If it gets any worse, I'll bin the Ghostbond and try something else.

Also, what's the easiest way to get the Ghostbond off my head? I wore the piece for a week, applied some alcohol on the base to loosen the glue, and it was really sticky, it gets everywhere, and takes forever to rub and roll off my scalp. What am I doing wrong? There is an easier way, right?

After the first attachment I was careless and applied the glue too wide on my forehead. Tried rubbing it off with cotton swaps and 99% alcohol, and ended up with skin burns which took a few days to heal. Now I'm trying to be careful, and trying to avoid scarring half my scalp with rubbing it too much with alcohol. Should I let the glue dry again to roll it off when it's not so gooey? Are other products any easier?
I would say if you are in heat and heavy sweating to use a clear Bond as opposed to ghostbond, which is a white Bond.

Anytime a white bond is exposed to heat and perspiration it will turn white again until that water dissipates and the Temperature drops. Then it will turn clear again.

Pro Hair Labs makes Ghostbusters specifically to clean ghostbond.

Typically alcohol and see 22 or used to clean acrylic adhesives. For all intents and purposes ghostbond can be cleaned with soap and water.... since it's water-based.

Also, I would suggest Walker Max hold sport as a scalp protector. This. Will certainly help with your adhesion and longevity.

JasonM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see what's available, and try to stick to cool showers with Ghostbond in the meanwhile. Not a lot of the products are available locally, and some are shipped e.g via ebay only, Amazon doesn't seem to deliver liquids abroad. But since I'm in the northern Europe, the heat really isn't a problem this time of the year. :)
I've got Walker Scalp Protector, the one with the red cap. Haven't tried without it, so don't know how much it's helping.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Not a super clear picture, but it does appear that the majority of lace holes are open.

Keep in mind. You're dealing with all this anxiety and frustration because you don't want to reattach every 2 weeks vs. 4.
Yet You're spending 48 hours soaking . Countless time picking glue out of lace holes while breathing noxious chemicals. Let's not forget, You're also buying and trying many unconventional chemical products designed for unrelated purposes. Don't get me wrong.... Sometimes you can come across something unconventional that works in a pinch. But these companies have much time and money in research and development to find something that works Well. If a great adhesive were as easy as mixing baking powder with milk and water ( Being facetious regarding the recent DIY homemade adhesive.). I'm pretty sure they would do that instead, and make a ginormous profit.

Everything in life is homeostasis. There has to be a balance ... It has to be easy to apply, have good duration, be easy to clean up, and ideally be safe. There's not only one box to check. I'm sure there's a lot more negative with regard to using lighter fluid and car cleaners than there is positive.

As you know, I've been a big proponent of being aware of the dangers regarding products specifically made for the hair system industry. To use Automotive cleaning agents and lighter fluid just blows my mind. To use on your body is crazy and to use on the system is not wise in my opinion either as There's risk it can cause drying or damage to the hair or base. Again, Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just spend one extra hour a month by detaching twice a month rather than once?

A normal detach and reattach is around an hour, which it is for me and most everyone I've spoken to. You'll actually spend less TOTAL time per month doing 2 attachments....and you will have a much better less damaging bond.

Think about it. The grand majority of people that reattach twice a month spent a total of 2 hours per month. I'm pretty sure, based on all of your posts, that you spent a great deal more than 2 hours per month.
Majority of the holes are open yes, but some are not.

For me the process of dere is like 1,5h. Maybe because I use glue all over the area?

I don't spend much time cleaning the base actually. Soaking doesn't require my time and scrubbing the glue off, washing with dish washing liquid and soap and then condition is more like 30 mins.