Cleaning a skin system with isopropyl vs citrus remover?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've recently got my first skin hair system (not ultra thin). Previously I used all Swiss lace. With either base, I'd attach with Supertape round the perimeter and either Walker Ultra Hold Adhesive or 'No Shine' tape for the hairine.

For cleaning the lace base, I'd first use a dry cotton wool pad to remove most of the tape or glue residue left behind, then after that I'd use 99% isopropyl sprayed onto the base or onto a cotton wool pad and wiped over it. This worked great for me.

Now with a skin system, is it ok to use the same method to clean the base? Is it safe to use isopropyl? It seems to work ok, but I've seen some people like Curtis from MHE use a less harsh or citrus remover instead. So for cleaning tape or adhesive residue off skin bases, is there any advantage to using a citrus spray like Walker C-22 vs using isopropyl or are they both ok?

I usually clean residue off my scalp with isopropyl too, plus I wash with and rinse off in the shower. However, is there any advantage to using Walker C-22 instead of isopropyl?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, you can use isopropyl. C-22 can be applied for very short durations only as it may discolor the poly base.

Most skin wearers do a full head bond with glue for various reasons.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With UTS the glue is very easy to dab or roll off with your fingers or with tissue. Normally I am able to remove nearly all of the glue without using anything. Sometimes I'll use warm water, and occasionally dishwashing soap. But never needed alcohol.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
White glue is easy removing.
One of you use silicon bond ? My only way to remove this is to leave the system 1-2 days in c-22 soak. I couldn´t remember to have a problem with a discolored poly base

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score
C-22 stinks to high heaven and the stench will linger on the piece for days. I’ve been using 99% with a fabric sprayer on my Swiss Lace front/poly sides and back units and it cleans up better than the citrus cleaners without the stank.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
C-22 stinks to high heaven and the stench will linger on the piece for days. I’ve been using 99% with a fabric sprayer on my Swiss Lace front/poly sides and back units and it cleans up better than the citrus cleaners without the stank.

Hi there, this is my next unit and I've never had any poly on any of my units. I just have a poly edge on the sides and back. I'm wondering if you could give some more detail on how you clean the poly? For lace, alcohol stops the stickiness but it's hard to get the glue off. That's why solvents are sometimes necessary as they dissolve the glue. Also when taking the unit off, how do you guys do it? I normally get the alcohol through the lace and onto the tape so it's very easy to keep the tape on my head but I'm thinking I can't do this with the new unit?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my next unit and I've never had any poly on any of my units. I just have a poly edge on the sides and back. I'm wondering if you could give some more detail on how you clean the poly? For lace, alcohol stops the stickiness but it's hard to get the glue off. That's why solvents are sometimes necessary as they dissolve the glue. Also when taking the unit off, how do you guys do it? I normally get the alcohol through the lace and onto the tape so it's very easy to keep the tape on my head but I'm thinking I can't do this with the new unit?

Since I started this thread, I've been trying a skin hair system. The skin/poly is very easy to clean. I tape the back and sides, and use glue for the hairline. I just use isopropyl on a cotton wool pad for cleaning the glue on the hairline when it needs a touch up.

With the back and sides, I gently remove the tape by slightly pulling up the edge and then slowly peel the tape back. I then clean the excess glue off the base with a dry cotton wool pad, then any further residue with a cotton wool pad soaked in isopropyl.

Last edited:

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since I started this thread, I've been trying a skin hair system. The skin/poly is very easy to clean. I tape the back and sides, and use glue for the hairline. I just use isopropyl on a cotton wool pad for cleaning the glue on the hairline when it needs a touch up.

With the back and sides, I gently remove the tape by slightly pulling up the edge and then slowly peel the tape back. I then clean the excess glue off the base with a dry cotton wool pad, then any further residue with a cotton wool pad soaked in isopropyl.

Thanks for this. I don't think I'll ever go full poly as I like the breathability of lace but I think it makes a lot of sense on the sides and back for me. Will try these tips for cleaning the poly edge. With the poly edge unit, I may try a 4 week hold (front will be re-done often). Will be interesting to see how it holds up. Will use a thick layer of scalp protector for when I try this.

Cleaning the swiss front has become very easy now with the routine I outlined in the other post.