Clarification on 5ar2 Irreversible ... etc

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
Going through searches I find many people referring to 5ar1 and 5ar2 and reversible and irreversible. What do they mean by this? I can take a guess at it but I'd rather just know the facts. Thanks

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Finasteride and dutasteride are considered to be irreversible inhibitors of 5a-reductase type 2 because both drugs form very tight, nearly permanent bonds with the enzyme. For all practical purposes, any molecule of the enzyme that binds with either drug is essentially destroyed, and is unlikely ever to produce DHT again.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
That's great! :sobbing:

Anywho, since your body continues to produce testosterone it would make sense to me that once the finasteride/dutasteride is completely out of your system (6months or however later) it will begin once again to convert into dht. Basically, I'm basing on my loose knowledge of how it works that although the current molecules are permanently affected, the newer ones eventually won't be and you'll return to normal.

Or is this just what I want to believe? What do you think?... thanks for the responses

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TwoHairsLeft said:
Anywho, since your body continues to produce testosterone it would make sense to me that once the finasteride/dutasteride is completely out of your system (6months or however later) it will begin once again to convert into dht.

Finasteride is out of your system (your blood, anyway) in just a day or two (dutasteride takes longer, because of its longer half-life). The reason that it takes a week or two after the last dose of finasteride for DHT levels to return to normal is that the cellular production of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme ITSELF is quite slow. It takes a few days for the enzyme to be regenerated enough to where it can make more DHT.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
Bryan said:
TwoHairsLeft said:
Anywho, since your body continues to produce testosterone it would make sense to me that once the finasteride/dutasteride is completely out of your system (6months or however later) it will begin once again to convert into dht.

Finasteride is out of your system (your blood, anyway) in just a day or two (dutasteride takes longer, because of its longer half-life). The reason that it takes a week or two after the last dose of finasteride for DHT levels to return to normal is that the cellular production of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme ITSELF is quite slow. It takes a few days for the enzyme to be regenerated enough to where it can make more DHT.

Ok so eventually my levels will return to normal...when I heard "irreversible" I thought it meant for the rest of my life my dht or 5arx would be changed. Thanks for clarification :)