Circulation to the head and male pattern baldness

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone believe that increased circultion to the head and neck can effect male pattern baldness...I was just wondering because people have posted in the past that increased circulation can have positive effects on hairloss. I came across an article that said ginkgo increases circulation to the head and neck but it did not make any reference to hairloss....

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I think

I would imagine that increased circulation to the scalp would cause faster hairloss since it would bring the folicles in contact with more DHT molecules.

Jimmy5000

Reaction score
blood circulation

I doubt that there is a straight forward answer to this. I would assume that if the scalp was NOT getting enough blood flow that it would cause hair loss. However, I don't know if having extra blood flow will really make a difference.

The Gardener

Reaction score
???

It's not a bad hypothesis... Minoxidil IS a vasodilator. But, from what I read it is far from proven that the vasodilating properties of Minoxidil are actually what makes the hair grow, at least in and of themselves.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
circulation

is the vasodilating a property of minoxidil that was supposed to happen when applied or is that just an unintentional effect of it?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Re: circulation

jblig said:
is the vasodilating a property of minoxidil that was supposed to happen when applied or is that just an unintentional effect of it?

I believe that the drug was first prescribed orally AS a vasodilator. When people using it noted that one of the side effects they were encountering was the reappearance of hair in once balding areas, research went into developing it as a hairloss treatment.