Chronic telogen effluvium or female pattern hairloss?

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, i’ve had hair loss for about 7 months now and am wondering if it’s chronic telogen effluvium or female pattern hairloss? It started when i quit an antidepressant 8 months ago. Please help.

Attachments

• A29CED0D-D678-4053-87A7-F7964ACA5A0C.jpeg
    A29CED0D-D678-4053-87A7-F7964ACA5A0C.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 30A5F81D-BD4E-4A00-8161-F0BA09B77ED6.jpeg
    30A5F81D-BD4E-4A00-8161-F0BA09B77ED6.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 8CAB5B7A-FD7A-4F3C-B78D-C4A0FA3006CE.jpeg
    8CAB5B7A-FD7A-4F3C-B78D-C4A0FA3006CE.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 184

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be Telogen Effluvium. A dermatologist can also check things out. Birth control can also contribute to hair loss.

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be Telogen Effluvium. A dermatologist can also check things out. Birth control can also contribute to hair loss.

I’m not taking birth control and didn’t when it started, i’m just wondering why it isn’t stopping if it’s telogen effluvium since it’s been over 6 months

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months is generally the longer end of it, but it might take a few more months than that. Do you have older pics to compare to?

Keep in mind that Telogen Effluvium can 'trigger' male pattern baldness & FPB.

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months is generally the longer end of it, but it might take a few more months than that. Do you have older pics to compare to?

Keep in mind that Telogen Effluvium can 'trigger' male pattern baldness & FPB.

I do have old photos, but i can feel and tell the difference mostly. What makes Telogen Effluvium trigger female pattern hairloss, genetics and hormones and that it goes on for a long time?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do have old photos, but i can feel and tell the difference mostly. What makes Telogen Effluvium trigger female pattern hairloss, genetics and hormones and that it goes on for a long time?
Hair loss is essentially the process of the follicle going into a resting phase (which, in itself is perfectly normal) but not being able to regrow as strongly, until it miniaturizes to the point that it won't come back. T.E. is essentially a premature shedding into the resting phase due to some sort of shock to the system (stress, drugs, etc. can cause it, as you probably know by now). Therefore, T.E. can "jump start" the hair loss process by accelerating the rate that the follicles do not grow back as well as the quality of the follicles. male pattern baldness and FPB are processes that take a long time - no one goes bald in a year from it. If your follicles are genetically susceptible to this process, then there is a chance that they may not recover from shock loss. However, being a female you have much less of a chance of losing them permanently because you possess less androgens (testosterone and DHT) which contribute to this process, and you also possess much more estrogen which helps hair to regrow.

All that being said I would wait 3-6 months and see if your hair progresses back to normal on its own. Again, permanent hair loss is a process that takes a very long time and you can't confirm it at this stage. Like I said, you have low T and high E which is good for hair growth, so give your body more time to heal itself. If your hair continues to worsen though, it may have triggered FPB. But give it a few months before jumping on a treatment that you may be stuck with for life.

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss is essentially the process of the follicle going into a resting phase (which, in itself is perfectly normal) but not being able to regrow as strongly, until it miniaturizes to the point that it won't come back. T.E. is essentially a premature shedding into the resting phase due to some sort of shock to the system (stress, drugs, etc. can cause it, as you probably know by now). Therefore, T.E. can "jump start" the hair loss process by accelerating the rate that the follicles do not grow back as well as the quality of the follicles. male pattern baldness and FPB are processes that take a long time - no one goes bald in a year from it. If your follicles are genetically susceptible to this process, then there is a chance that they may not recover from shock loss. However, being a female you have much less of a chance of losing them permanently because you possess less androgens (testosterone and DHT) which contribute to this process, and you also possess much more estrogen which helps hair to regrow.

All that being said I would wait 3-6 months and see if your hair progresses back to normal on its own. Again, permanent hair loss is a process that takes a very long time and you can't confirm it at this stage. Like I said, you have low T and high E which is good for hair growth, so give your body more time to heal itself. If your hair continues to worsen though, it may have triggered FPB. But give it a few months before jumping on a treatment that you may be stuck with for life.

Thanks for the information, i’m thinking of waiting a few more months too, why does telogen effluvium last longer than 6 months and become chronic? Is it that the trigger isn’t removed which i think i have but it’s hard to know exactly, stress, or that it just takes longer for some people?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one really knows the answer to that. It's possible that the trigger is still present. And growth rates vary among individuals, yes. I would surmise that in some cases it may have to do with a change in the autoimmune function or perhaps an upregulation/downregulation of hormones in the scalp and it fails to go back to normal for some reason. If it's chronic it definitely has to do with a breach in local homeostasis. Vague, I know, but that's really all we know about it. At any rate, I would say the best thing you can do now is try not to stress to much about it and give your body more time to reach homeostasis.

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one really knows the answer to that. It's possible that the trigger is still present. And growth rates vary among individuals, yes. I would surmise that in some cases it may have to do with a change in the autoimmune function or perhaps an upregulation/downregulation of hormones in the scalp and it fails to go back to normal for some reason. If it's chronic it definitely has to do with a breach in local homeostasis. Vague, I know, but that's really all we know about it. At any rate, I would say the best thing you can do now is try not to stress to much about it and give your body more time to reach homeostasis.

I see, i’ve also gotten some lighter hairs, like a coppar color, and some white which have lost pigment and i don’t think they’re regrowth because some are long, why is that happening?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When hairs go into the telogen phase they are shorter, thinner, and might even appear lighter. What might be more of a telling sign are the roots. If there is white flaky residue around the bulb, then that's a sign of T.E.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really don't any bald people in your family, so yes it's probabbly Telogen Effluvium. If you do have family history of hairloss, is for sure diffuse thinning. I'm a man but I have this pattern. Same thin hair on sides too.

Desperate98

My Regimen
Reaction score
When hairs go into the telogen phase they are shorter, thinner, and might even appear lighter. What might be more of a telling sign are the roots. If there is white flaky residue around the bulb, then that's a sign of T.E.

Thanks, my hair roots have a very small white dot on it but it’s not flaky, more sticky but not much. Can you get fpb directly from taking medications such as antidepressants or does it start with Telogen Effluvium and trigger fpb?

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same pattern as a man . It may be tellogen effluvium in your case or DUPA . In my case i have DUPA and i lose hair everywhere including sides and back of my head.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, my hair roots have a very small white dot on it but it’s not flaky, more sticky but not much. Can you get fpb directly from taking medications such as antidepressants or does it start with Telogen Effluvium and trigger fpb?
I don't think a medication like an antidepressant would directly trigger it, unless the medication impacts sex hormones.