Chronic Telogen Effluvium Or Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia?

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
any change the past three years or has it stayed the same?

sounds like that abuse made your hair break off at the root and for whatever reason, the follicle doesn't have the ability to grow it back. the derms really can't help??

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
the derms havent been able to do or figure out anything really. About a week ago I figured out my iron levels are low, but I doubt thats what has caused it to be diffuse thinning for a couple of years.

STAYSTRONG88

Reaction score
I have the same issue and been told its from the Accutane. I took it for 6 months in 2014-15 and my hair thinned all over and massive daily shedding still til this day. My hairline receded a bit and it's noticeably thinner on corners but my overall scalp is thin including the back. I used to have very thick hair. Derm told me its Telogen Effluvium in 2015. I just wait patiently for it to grow back. My case could very well be male pattern baldness and Telogen Effluvium though as i do have male pattern baldness in my family. Dad has full head of hair at 69 and its all black and barely a mature perfect hairline. My moms side is where the balding comes from. So my case is confusing.

Do you have dents in any of your fingernails? Sign of Telogen Effluvium. I have dents in mine since Accutane

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont notice anything different about my nails other then that they feel weak and brittle. I am going to get a scalp biopsy later which will show which I have. I just want to know if my hair will stop thinning. Literally went from 100% fine to destroyed after a shower one day and hair has been very thin since that moment 2.5 years ago.

equel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar issue for me. About 1 year ago I woke up and hair started shedding all over the place, 2-300 hairs a day for like 3 months, then it finally slowed down a bit.

Only on the top, hair line hasnt moved and is the same as when I was 14, temples are fine and all is fine but the diffuse sh*t all over the top.

Im on finasteride at the moment to see what happends.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah well thats clearly telogen effluvium, where as I have never had shedding but weirdly enough have diffuse thinning. Finasteride wont help if its CTE. If you get a biopsy you'll know what you have.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
what's the number on ferritin iron?
Not too sure Ill check. My scalp biopsy said signs of male pattern baldness. But I explain to my derm I have diffuse thinning. Can there not be signs of Androgenetic Alopecia in CTE that give a wrong diagnosis. Because she told me I had cte before the biopsy. Its been like 3 years thinning but the fact that this all happened all of sudden one day and went from really thick to thin makes me think CTE, DPA or DAA is at play.

prophetoffollicle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yet in 10yrs on this forum yet to ever see someone come on here who thought they had Telogen Effluvium actually have Telogen Effluvium lol. Telogen Effluvium is like the last conclusion before reality.

That said in your case i think your hairs fine. Probably naturally fine just

You guys are more than invited to continue this debate on my thread.

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
baby
I have the same issue and been told its from the Accutane. I took it for 6 months in 2014-15 and my hair thinned all over and massive daily shedding still til this day. My hairline receded a bit and it's noticeably thinner on corners but my overall scalp is thin including the back. I used to have very thick hair. Derm told me its Telogen Effluvium in 2015. I just wait patiently for it to grow back. My case could very well be male pattern baldness and Telogen Effluvium though as i do have male pattern baldness in my family. Dad has full head of hair at 69 and its all black and barely a mature perfect hairline. My moms side is where the balding comes from. So my case is confusing.

Do you have dents in any of your fingernails? Sign of Telogen Effluvium. I have dents in mine since Accutane
hey STAYSTRONG88 what do you mean by dents on the nails? My have dents in all 10 fingers? Do you mind taking a picture because I feel like I am going through Telogen Effluvium

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
i saw a trichologist who seems to think baking soda destroyed my hair papilla or whatever that means and sebaceous glands. He took hair samples and told me rogaine with prp injections will make my scalp healthy and allow me to have my hair grow back normal. where as both dermatologists write off prp and told me rogaine with propecia is my best bet.