Chronic Telogen Effluvium Or Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia?

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have had hair thinning for 2 years all over scalp. While it all happened abruptly once after a time I washed my hair with baking soda. I used accutane for about a year and stopped about 2 months before my hair started thinning. While My hair is thinning I have notice it is slightly thinner on my crown and temples slightly receded especially one side. While my dermatologist thinks its chronic telogen effluvium, I dont have any shedding I think. I was wondering if anyone had any input to differentiate the two. My hair has a very weird texture when its dry . But very bad when wet.

Attachments

• IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4,538
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.12.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.12.54 AM.png
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 2,855
  • IMG_5321.jpg
    IMG_5321.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 14,808

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, CTE you'll be shedding a couple hundred hairs a day for years. If it's DUPA it should be a little lighter on the shedding, and there will be visible miniaturization. Baking soda isn't gonna cause CTE.
Can you have telogen effluvium without shedding though. Or is it possible I am not noticing it because my hair is very short.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buzzed sides and like 2 inches long on the top. My eyebrows are also thinning on the outer edge. Really hoping its not Diffuse unpatterned alopecia but I can't really figure it out.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its diffuse though, so how can it be male pattern baldness.

How is that diffuse? the sides of your head are dense. And looking at your top one can clearly see the difference in density between temples and top. Furthermore is diffuse thinning on top pretty normal when it comes to male pattern baldness.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
in many cases Telogen Effluvium can affect the top of the head more than the back and sides, mimicking male pattern baldness. the hair loss game can be a deceptive one where things are not always as straightforward and black & white as they seem. get blood tests, and monitor the hair over the months. male pattern baldness gets progressively worse. cte just keeps looking like sh*t.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
How is that diffuse? the sides of your head are dense. And looking at your top one can clearly see the difference in density between temples and top. Furthermore is diffuse thinning on top pretty normal when it comes to male pattern baldness.
You can't see that my sides and back are thinning because its shaved so short. Only comes noticeable when its about 1 inch long

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
in many cases Telogen Effluvium can affect the top of the head more than the back and sides, mimicking male pattern baldness. the hair loss game can be a deceptive one where things are not always as straightforward and black & white as they seem. get blood tests, and monitor the hair over the months. male pattern baldness gets progressively worse. cte just keeps looking like sh*t.
Yeah makes sense. The reason I think it could be telogen effluvium is because it all happened it one day. When from thick to very thin in one day and never returned.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well hair loss due to a external damage like that will correct itself when the next growth cycle starts, so you should have nothing to worry about. try some biotin.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's interesting, Thyroid issues can cause Telogen Effluvium as well as loss of the outer edge of the eyebrows. Have you had that checked or looked into?
Blood tested multiple times. Thyroid was once abnormal about 1.5 years ago, but now its fine.

shookwun

Reaction score
Can you have telogen effluvium without shedding though. Or is it possible I am not noticing it because my hair is very short.
Short lol
. your hair is medium-long.

Buzz your hair, and you will see if you have developed diffuse or a balding pattern.

Only way besides having a hair check test done for bulk whether or not you have been balding.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
well hair loss due to a external damage like that will correct itself when the next growth cycle starts, so you should have nothing to worry about. try some biotin.
its been 2.5 years. Never heard of someone with Telogen Effluvium lasting longer then a year.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
When the hair on my sides and back grows out to 3guard its noticeably very thin. My hair is very thin all over, but it went from being completely normal and thick 2.5 years ago to one day where it was immediately very thin all over. I have no idea what could be causing this.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
YOU DOESN'T HAVE MALE PATTERN BALDNESS, is just your natural thin hair.

My cousin's hair looks like yours with water....

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score

My hair is insanely thin. I dont know if its male pattern baldness, but it is forsure something. male pattern baldness doesnt have thinning sides.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is equally thin everywhere but its so short on my sides and back where you can't tell. Its hit the 3 year mark now and I still have 0 answers. All of my blood work is fine and I don't know where to turn. How do I figure out if I have permanent hair loss. My 2 derms do not know anything. I don't want to use propecia since I already have some form of ED from accutane.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score

My hair was insanely thick my whole life, then one day I showered using baking soda and since then my hair has been insanely thin, destroyed and frail for 3 years.