Chemists, pharmacists, how do I extract ketoconazole from the tablets?

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I've been using ketoconazole for years now, with moderate success. Both as a shampoo, and as crushed-up tablets mixed in with my minoxidil.

The problem is, there's a lot of other crap in the tablets that I don't want on my head. Fillers, binding agents, etc. Which cause a flaky build-up to accrue.

So how do I extract just the ketoconazole from the tablets? I know it's insoluble in water, but washing the powder in water only removes about 2/3rds of the irrelevant crap.

Finasteridegyno

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I've been using ketoconazole for years now, with moderate success. Both as a shampoo, and as crushed-up tablets mixed in with my minoxidil.

The problem is, there's a lot of other crap in the tablets that I don't want on my head. Fillers, binding agents, etc. Which cause a flaky build-up to accrue.

So how do I extract just the ketoconazole from the tablets? I know it's insoluble in water, but washing the powder in water only removes about 2/3rds of the irrelevant crap.
What Is your meaning of success from keto ? Did u slow down the progression of AA? Using so much keto is not harmful for the scalp?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Using so much keto is not harmful for the scalp?
Probably no, there is 1 study using ketoconazole lotion 2% everyday as a monotherapy and it has some efficency.

I'm using ketoconazle as 2% shampoo 3-4 times a week, and after massaging it for 1-2 minutes on my scalp I'm leaving it on my scalp for at least 5 minutes, but mostly for 15+ minutes. Then I'm washing it off with warm water and then I'm putting my topical.

Veyorokon

Banned
Reaction score
What Is your meaning of success from keto ? Did u slow down the progression of AA? Using so much keto is not harmful for the scalp?
Too much keto can dry up your scalp and cause irritation and further damage.

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably no, there is 1 study using ketoconazole lotion 2% everyday as a monotherapy and it has some efficency.

I'm using ketoconazle as 2% shampoo 3-4 times a week, and after massaging it for 1-2 minutes on my scalp I'm leaving it on my scalp for at least 5 minutes, but mostly for 15+ minutes. Then I'm washing it off with warm water and then I'm putting my topical.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I'm trying to streamline my routine by adding the ketoconazole directly to the topical though

No side effects so far, and it's managed to basically halt my hairloss for years now, and reverse it slightly

BaldingDude

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your best bet is buying the powder. Ketoconazole is insoluble in water and other common solvents and I doubt you would be able to get more out of the tabs using your proposed method.

The ideal method is making a micro emulsion using a cocktail of polysorbate 80, isopropyl myristate, water and propylene glycol, you can bump up the solubility to 35 mg/mL (i.e. a 3.5% solution) and increase the absorption greatly (I'm a pharmacist).