Cheapest Finasteride Prescription W/o Insurance?

dysentarygary

My Regimen
Reaction score
First post here -

i've done a little research on this board and elsewhere, but can't really find a straight answer. Is there a way to obtain a legit prescription for finasteride without breaking the bank if I don't have insurance? And is it best to make each refill last longer by splitting each pill into a smaller dose?

Thanks.

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a prescription for the 5mg pill version. My health benefits cover the prescription and the 5mg pills, so I get them for free. (My benefits do not cover the 1mg generic OR the 1mg of Propecia). When purchasing the pill, the 5mg will be considerably cheaper than the 1mg. Use a pill cutter, and cut the 5mg pill into four equal parts. First, cut the entire pill in half (save one half for later cutting), then cut the other half in half again. One pill will give you four x 1.25mg doses. You can take those everyday OR every other day OR 3 times a week. Depends on how you react (if you can tolerate sides etc etc). I have been taking 1.25mg everyday (but this is only my first week of doing so) and so far so good. Best of luck!

dysentarygary

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a prescription for the 5mg pill version. My health benefits cover the prescription and the 5mg pills, so I get them for free. (My benefits do not cover the 1mg generic OR the 1mg of Propecia). When purchasing the pill, the 5mg will be considerably cheaper than the 1mg. Use a pill cutter, and cut the 5mg pill into four equal parts. First, cut the entire pill in half (save one half for later cutting), then cut the other half in half again. One pill will give you four x 1.25mg doses. You can take those everyday OR every other day OR 3 times a week. Depends on how you react (if you can tolerate sides etc etc). I have been taking 1.25mg everyday (but this is only my first week of doing so) and so far so good. Best of luck!

thanks...why are the 5mg cheaper than the 1mg?

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is my theory as to why it is...its just a guess: The 5mg is a higher dose and prescribed to treat an enlarged prostate. The 1mg dose is prescribed to treat male pattern baldness. Seeing as male pattern baldness can't harm you physically, the 1mg (for hair) is seen as being prescribed for "cosmetic reasons" whereas the 5mg (prostate) is seen as being prescribed for "health reasons". It is super easy to cut it into four equal pieces with a pill cutter. I have read on here about people cutting it a 0.5mg or 0.25mg dose. The smaller you cut it down, the easier the pill can crumble into powder. I figure you'd need a sharp precision knife to cut it down really small. Cut it into four (1.25mg) pieces and take it every other day for a couple of months. See how your body reacts. I just dove in head first and am taking 1.25mg everyday...

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score

Here is how it should look (full piece next to a quarter cut)

20200929_183635_HDR-01.jpeg
:

dysentarygary

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my theory as to why it is...its just a guess: The 5mg is a higher dose and prescribed to treat an enlarged prostate. The 1mg dose is prescribed to treat male pattern baldness. Seeing as male pattern baldness can't harm you physically, the 1mg (for hair) is seen as being prescribed for "cosmetic reasons" whereas the 5mg (prostate) is seen as being prescribed for "health reasons". It is super easy to cut it into four equal pieces with a pill cutter. I have read on here about people cutting it a 0.5mg or 0.25mg dose. The smaller you cut it down, the easier the pill can crumble into powder. I figure you'd need a sharp precision knife to cut it down really small. Cut it into four (1.25mg) pieces and take it every other day for a couple of months. See how your body reacts. I just dove in head first and am taking 1.25mg everyday...

Here is how it should look (full piece next to a quarter cut)

View attachment 146403 :

and how exactly do i go about getting the Doctor to prescribe 5mg over 1 mg?

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score
and how exactly do i go about getting the Doctor to prescribe 5mg over 1 mg?

Tell them that it is for cost purposes. They will most likely prescribe it and tell you to cut it into four pieces. The active ingredient is the exact same in the 5mg and the 1mg. Whereabouts are you? USA? (I am in Canada)

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah, usa. as you probably know being uninsured is very, very expensive down here

Damn. So you have to pay for the prescription as well as the medication? The cost of the 5mg pills might be cheaper in the USA than Canada, but I don't know how much you need to pay for a prescription in the USA (for the most part getting a prescription is free in Canada at any doctor or walk-in clinic). Medication is actually expensive in Canada, but most companies cover the cost of meds for full-time employees (with Health Benefits). Have you checked online about getting the prescription? It might be cheaper and you can avoid waiting in a crowded clinic to see the doctor.