Changing regime to Dutasteride?Any experieced young users

Reaction score
Hey all

just wondered if i could get some balanced advice here.

Basically, if you look back at some other post im made, i have been on Propecia about a year and a half, also been using Xandrox 5% and Nizoral, with 12.5% lotion frontal until before i went away travelling.

Well, i managed to keep up with my regime NO problems. Very happy about that, i dont even think i missed a day. All good.

Well, hair hasnt got much worse, it has to be said, but overall my hair has gone alot blonder compared to say, 4 months after i first started propecia where it really really darken, it was very very surprising. This though, is an indication to me that miniturization is going on, with less pigmentation. I think that is a safe assumption. People have even noticed it is blonder ) , and yeah they were only women. They only notice these things hehe. Also, its quite abit thinner in the frontal area which kinda sucks.

When i first started travelling, i got some 'Dr Reddys Dutas' before i left 'just in case' it took a turn for the worse when i was travelling. Well, while it wasnt too bad, it aint great. Basically, im considering changing to Dutasteride, but im comfortable with the propecia at the moment. Im happy with what it does to me. I dont have any noticeable sides, and im not 'scared' of it.

Ive read a fair bit about Dutasteride, and im turned off by the idea of blocking the type 1 enzyme, though im not a chemist, and im certainly not GOD so i really dont know what the implications would be long term.
I also dont like taking a full on prostate dose per day, as far as i know, my prostate is fine, though maybe abit smaller because of propeica but hey, whos measuring it. . . . .

Its reassuring Glaxxo are doing Phase III trials with it but im still abit concerned

Im just turned 22 by the way so still young. I think im getting better dealing with this crap but, still, its annoying.

Any non biased views people could give me, maybe you have had experience with Dutasteride , and changing from propecia after a same time period as me.

many thanks

J

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been taking dutasteride since March 2005 and it hasn't given me any side effects. I am happy with it.

You shouldn't worry about blocking the type one enzyme. DHT is useful in puberty, as has been shown by studies on men with congenital 5-AR deficiency. In this disorder, males are born with little or no 5-AR enzyme. They have ambiguous genitalia and are often raised as girls. When puberty occurs, their testosterone levels elevate normally although their DHT levels remain very low. Their musculature develops normally like that of other adults, however, they end up with little or no pubic / body hair and underdeveloped prostate and penis. Once you're past puberty, you're okay though. dutasteride will not shrink your penis or make you look like a girl.

Anyway if you take a standard dose of dutasteride (0.5mg) every day, you won't be blocking all of it anyway.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hated finasteride. I always had a finasteride aftertaste and my body just felt finasteridy. Im much happier with Dutas (the way I feel and my hair)

ShedMaster

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
I hated finasteride. I always had a finasteride aftertaste and my body just felt finasteridy. Im much happier with Dutas (the way I feel and my hair)

you really had an aftertaste? Mine is oderless and tasteless.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
you are only 22, your hair hasn't gotten worst with finasteride, why not wait another 3-4 years till finasteride start not working, and then turn to dus? this way, if dus stop working after 5 years, you'll be 32 by then. and HM would of came out by then for sure

G

biglemoncoke said:
you are only 22, your hair hasn't gotten worst with finasteride, why not wait another 3-4 years till finasteride start not working, and then turn to dus? this way, if dus stop working after 5 years, you'll be 32 by then. and HM would of came out by then for sure

Yep, thats my plan, too. I am also hesitant with adding minoxidil to my regimen since I expect the battle against MBP to be a long and very hard one.

G

biglemoncoke said:

this is bad logic. dutasteride doesn't have a certain period that it works for before it stops. you could start it at 16 and it maintains till you're 32 or start it at 29 and it maintains till you're 32. it doesn't have a set number of years of effectiveness or even a range. just at a certain age, your follicles have an increasing sensitivy to dht and start to miniaturize.

if the original poster wants to, there's no reason not to start dutasteride now, except for concern about sides. but if he has no sides then he won't lose any "effectiveness" by taking dutasteride instead of finasteride. dutasteride is the more powerful drug, after all.

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan is right. Bryan and I both told biglemoncoke about this very well in another thread, yet he still is going around giving bad advice to guys. I think he wants us all to go bald so he won't have to compete with us while he is on dutasteride.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
considering no one have yet to know the long term effects of dutasteride, i would start using finasteride first. its not like finasteride doesnt work at all.

Felk

Reaction score
I'd say finasteride before dutasteride. is always a good idea. It's very likely you won't need anything else.

plat

Reaction score
If I were satisfied with finasteride I would not start taking the yet poorly studied dutasteride concerning the effects of long-term administration, specifically in a so young target group.