changing rate of hair growth

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
the time before last when i had my hair cut, the following happened...

after the cut my hair grew really slowly all over in general - took over 1 1/2 months before i needed a hair cut. over these 1 1/2 months my hair thickened considerably all over and at my next cut i was surprised by how much thickening and regrowth id had.

since this very good cut the following has happened...

ive started shedding again, with hair everywhere thinning a little bit and the crown thinning considerably (i never used to have a problem here). i thought this could just be another shed (like i had at 2 weeks) but what confused me is my hair is growing much quicker - i need a haircut after only 2 1/2 weeks since my last one!

does this quickened hair growth say anything about my shedding/possible future regrowth? has anyone else experienced anything similar?

nb: i am about 3 months into my regimen of propecia and nizoral-esque anti-dandruff shampoo, and experienced shedding at 2 weeks which was followed by great regrowth and the 2 month mark.

thanks.

G

too soon for propecia results. You would have shed just like you did with or without treatment. I don't know if anyone remembers but before you started treatment or when you noticed hairloss you were probably going through a shed anyways.

The Gardener

Reaction score
There is a lot of natural variability in the speed at which our hair grows and sheds. Even non-male pattern baldness people can go through sheds, caused by some sort of unknown factor that sometimes synchronizes the hair cycle. Hair growth is also somewhat seasonal. I've read a few articles saying that it is common for people to shed hair in the Autumn months, and that hair grows more readily in the summer.

There are lots of environmental and internal factors that could cause the scenario you are experiencing. I think it's a bit too soon in your regimen to be chalking it all up to that, but then again, maybe it is?

Nevertheless, keep up the regimen. So far so good!

wrathchild

Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for about 10 months now, at about 6 months my hair loss stopped , only for a short period and I have been shedding like crazy ever since , Is it possible that I could be going through another shed or could it be that the finasteride is just not working , can sheds last like 3 , 4, maybe even 5 months? The majority of hairs that fall out seem to be really dark healthy looking hairs does this mean anything. For those of you who have had success on finasteride how long has it worked or been working for you? thanks for your time any advice would be greatly appreciated.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i know it sounds a bit weird but i guarantee you that after 2 1/2 months my hair was significantly thicker and plentiful than when i started propecia. im hoping this means im a good responder. im sure of this because when i started, after my haircut my scalp was so easily visible in lots of places. at my 2 1/2 months haircut scalp coverage was 100%, but i did have to have my hair combed flat down.

anyone know, then, if a quicker rate of hair growth (quite a lot quicker) indicates anything about shedding or regrowth?

thanks.