Changing from Avodart ED to EOD or 1mg Finasteride ED?

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been taking Avodart daily for 10+ years, but since I believe the long term effects on the brain (with the inhibition of type I 5AR) aren't known yet, I'm a bit skeptical in taking it like this for much longer. I did brain MRI last year and everything was fine.

Do you guys think I'd be fine (in hair terms) by changing it to EOD or maybe even change to 1mg Finasteride ED? I think I'm more inclined to Finasteride.

Thanks.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah you could even go as low as 1-2x a week on dutasteride since the half life is about 5 weeks. It will inhibit much less of the type I enzyme this way, while still inhibiting 90% or so of the type II.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A while back I was reading on here from some reliable posters many years ago that what happens is that after the type I enzyme is inhibited, it recovers a lot faster than the type II. So yeah if you take one duta pill a week, it's going to suppress some 5AR type I for maybe a day or so before you begin to produce more again. The steady state amount is important too because 2.5mg duta ED suppresses 85% of type I, whereas 0.5mg inhibits only 50% of it at steady state. Now with type II, it inhibits so much more and takes a lot longer before you start reproducing it again, even when the drug is at a lower steady state dose.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could even go as low as 1-2x a week on dutasteride since the half life is about 5 weeks. It will inhibit much less of the type I enzyme this way, while still inhibiting 90% or so of the type II.
Thanks. What would you do? Change to finasteride ED or reduce the amount of dutasteride to EOD or even lower?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. What would you do? Change to finasteride ED or reduce the amount of dutasteride to EOD or even lower?
Definitely don't switch if you have been doing fine with it for so long; you don't want to potentially shed a bunch of hair. Just drop the dose to 2-3 days a week instead. Have you been getting bad brain fog recently?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

twice a week [avodart] will give you as good inhibition as 5mg finasteride daily. so why not? there is no recommended dose of avodart for hair loss, so look at the charts and decide what you think is best. my suggestion is to keep it low though.

one of the reasons i take 0.5mg twice a week is that it suppresses the type 2 enzyme well over 90%, but the type 1 only 15% or so, which i think is good for safety reasons. also, i am on it and it works, so why would i change anything?

Unfortunately I can't find that chart anymore but what he is saying makes sense.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

The problem with taking dutasteride once every 5 days is at that low dose the half life is much shorter. It might be better to dissolve some in ethanol and take some drops every so often, but ethanol evaporates. Water would slow the evaporation, but I don't know how much water you could add before the dutasteride was no longer soluble in the solution.

I think dutasteride twice a week should not have any half life issues, but then you are getting a bit more DHT inhibition than the 5mg finasteride. At this dose, you probably inhibit 5-10% of 5ar1. I can't be accurate since i don't know the steady state concentration. But I do know that 3x per week inhibits about 15% of the DHT from 5ar1, so that is an upper limit for the 2x per week.

So yeah that's my rationale for 2-3x a week.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score

twice a week [avodart] will give you as good inhibition as 5mg finasteride daily. so why not? there is no recommended dose of avodart for hair loss, so look at the charts and decide what you think is best. my suggestion is to keep it low though.

one of the reasons i take 0.5mg twice a week is that it suppresses the type 2 enzyme well over 90%, but the type 1 only 15% or so, which i think is good for safety reasons. also, i am on it and it works, so why would i change anything?

Unfortunately I can't find that chart anymore but what he is saying makes sense.

The problem with taking dutasteride once every 5 days is at that low dose the half life is much shorter. It might be better to dissolve some in ethanol and take some drops every so often, but ethanol evaporates. Water would slow the evaporation, but I don't know how much water you could add before the dutasteride was no longer soluble in the solution.

I think dutasteride twice a week should not have any half life issues, but then you are getting a bit more DHT inhibition than the 5mg finasteride. At this dose, you probably inhibit 5-10% of 5ar1. I can't be accurate since i don't know the steady state concentration. But I do know that 3x per week inhibits about 15% of the DHT from 5ar1, so that is an upper limit for the 2x per week.

So yeah that's my rationale for 2-3x a week.
Thanks.

I think I'll take it Mon/Wed/Fri then

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely don't switch if you have been doing fine with it for so long; you don't want to potentially shed a bunch of hair. Just drop the dose to 2-3 days a week instead. Have you been getting bad brain fog recently?
Don't know exactly what defines a brain fog, is to forget something and stuff like that? I guess I have that sometimes,like we all do, just can't tell if it's more accentuated because of duta

SnortingFin

My Regimen
Reaction score

Im on 1.25mg finasteride ED started March 20, is this a good approach? should I EOD (M-W-F)?

Or should I do Duta EOD 0.5mg (M-W-F)
I'm really puzzled... I want the best results for Hairline. male pattern baldness NW2. with hopefully no sides.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im on 1.25mg finasteride ED started March 20, is this a good approach? should I EOD (M-W-F)?

Or should I do Duta EOD 0.5mg (M-W-F)
I'm really puzzled... I want the best results for Hairline. male pattern baldness NW2. with hopefully no sides.
Give finasteride at least 6 months before considering changing.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've been taking it Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday, instead of EOD. Do you think it's fine like this or EOD is a better option?
Thanks.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been taking it Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday, instead of EOD. Do you think it's fine like this or EOD is a better option?
Thanks.
So long as you are not experiencing sides then I don't see anything wrong with this dosage.