Chances that my weight gain are propecia related? HairLossTalk.com?

sherwood

Reaction score
Ive been takn 1/8 proscar for bout year and feel like no matter what i do, my midsection is just far more flabby than in the past. Someone mentioned getting bloodwork done to see the the testosterone or estrogen levels? i sthis a way to determine if proscar is causing the flabbiness? or do i have to get off the treatment to see if these apparent affects go away? how long would i have to halt the drug to see if it was causing the problem? any help here would be appreciated....sherwood

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
I have fully gained weight since I got on Propecia. I am not going to say it is related beacuse I can't prove that there is any relation, but it's a coincidence at the least. I have gained maybe 10 pounds since starting my regimen. So I am back on the workout wagon again, and hoping to shed 10 by the end of summer.

Nomad

Stingray

Reaction score
27 and 9/10ths percent.

Seriously. Who knows?

bombscience

Reaction score
I've lost 10 pounds in the last month. NOT good. Between Paxil and Fina, i'm sure it has to do with that.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
nomad said:
SO.......your saying there's still a chance!

Nomad :lol:

no ! not the dumb and dumber act again! please no!

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
I've lost 10 pounds in the last month. NOT good. Between Paxil and Fina, i'm sure it has to do with that.

it's the paxil. I was a breadstick with ears on that stuff. Though most people do gain weight on it. bomb, send me some f**king pictures of the R6 now biatch! I want them in my pm by the end of today!

Loopydude

Reaction score
Think about anabolic steroids...

Androgenic anabolic steroids cause you to lose fat and put on lean muscle. They mimic endogenous androgens in that respect, only they're more powerful. DHT is the most potent androgen your body makes. If you reduce the amount of DHT in your body, doesn't it follow that the effects might be rather the opposite of taking androgenic anabolic steroids? Wouldn't you expect that your metabolism could change, muscle mass could decrease, and hence fat deposition could increase? It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me. Since it's known that finasteride can cause feminizing effects in some people, and men typically have more muscle than women, why shouldn't finasteride affect muscle mass?

Fortunately, I would imagine you can counteract the problem to some extent through diet and exercise. Whatever the cause of the new spare tire, changes in diet and increased exercise (a balance of cardio and weights) should leave you looking just fine.

It's interesting: A while ago Merck published a study about the effects of finasteride on bone mass, showing no problems. It's a hell of a lot easier to look at changes in muscle mass. You could assess such changes during the same exam at minimal extra cost. Why not address the question of muscle mass while looking at bone mass? Wouldn't that be an obvious thing to consider? I think so. My guess is Merck knows the answer to the question of finasteride and changes in muscle mass very well. If we don't know it, it's because they don't want us to. I hate to say it, given that I work for pharm (not Merck!!), but this is how drug companies operate: They trumpet the good news, but only give you the bad news if they absolutely have to. They're capitalists, after all.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
thats right, keep blaming propecia =) maybe what you are doing is wrong? go get a test done to see how many calories your body requires, then stick to that number strickly. the rest is up to you, however much weight you want to lose you have to exercise. the equation for weight loss is simple, burn more calories than you take it. dont blame metabolism either, if you have a slow metabolism that just means you have to work harder. you can keep making excuses or do something about it, its up to you?

if you do feel that propecia is causing it then stop taking it, i'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for.

bombscience

Reaction score
zak84 said:
thats right, keep blaming propecia =) maybe what you are doing is wrong? go get a test done to see how many calories your body requires, then stick to that number strickly. the rest is up to you, however much weight you want to lose you have to exercise. the equation for weight loss is simple, burn more calories than you take it. dont blame metabolism either, if you have a slow metabolism that just means you have to work harder. you can keep making excuses or do something about it, its up to you?

if you do feel that propecia is causing it then stop taking it, i'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for.

A healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle are more important than an suppliment you can take. I truly believe it's 50% mental and 50% lifestyle.

Try adjusting your life first and if you can't make it work, then get off the drug.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
A healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle are more important than an suppliment you can take. I truly believe it's 50% mental and 50% lifestyle.

Try adjusting your life first and if you can't make it work, then get off the drug.

is this a response to my post, if it is i dont get it, also, i thought i posted alot but damn you've got 500 post in a little over 1 month

bombscience

Reaction score
zak84 said:
bombscience said:

is this a response to my post, if it is i dont get it, also, i thought i posted alot but damn you've got 500 post in a little over 1 month

lol, oh my god i'm so hungover i didn't realize that i was quoting. sorry zak...