Chances That finasteride + minoxidil Works Forever

if you're a good responder for both: minoxidil + finasteride + hairtransplant = hair forever?

• Total voters

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, now you are agree with new treatments will be released very soon?

There have never been so many things in the pipeline up to now, not since the last 10 years. If one gets through, that would be great, and I think that will happen till 2020. But that's just my opinion.

Bruh, stop dreaming plz. Very soon= at least 5 years.

Nah bruuh, we won't

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There will always be some degradation of your hair quality as you age, even if it's non significant, doesn't matter if you have Androgenetic Alopecia or not.

I'd never deny that. By asking if it stays "forever" is kind of misleading, sorry. I just meant to keep it acceptable in relation to your age. I'd die happily with having Ian McKellens hair at his age.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not necesseraly, i've began to notice hairloss at the age of 15, pretty rough and agressive, like 50+ hairs on my pillow every damn morning, changing sheets daily to check if this was regular, it was...

Visit some top derm in South of France, including one doing worldwide conference who puts me right away on minoxidil, saying too young for finasteride obviously.

minoxidil 5% was a disaster personaly, for three years, itchy and red scalp, lots of dandruff, and low efficacity.

By the age of 18, switched to finasteride 1m/d.

A friend of mine began to loose it at the exact same age, he did nothing, no minoxidil, no finasteride, only available treatment in 2001.

Anyway, he had a Norwood 7 be the age of 18 (true story), very agressive, like mine, he shaved his head before graduated to high school.
My dad was Norwood 7 at 22, no options back then.

Been stable for 13 years, now 31, but it seems less potent, dry itchy scalp again and poor hair quality, hairline is receiding again.

Bottom line is, everyone is different with those treatments, try finasteride and minoxidil for a solid year and stay on it, it can work for agressive pattern, if you get sides or if it don't work...well i'll stay away from Duta imo

Good luck on this journey
Pics?

abcdefg

Reaction score
There will always be some degradation of your hair quality as you age, even if it's non significant, doesn't matter if you have Androgenetic Alopecia or not.

Is this really true? Would you say that all women at older ages like 50+ have worse quality hair as the result of aging? Frank vincent or ronald reagan dont seem to have very much aging related degradation. I am not saying it doesnt happen I just question to what extent that is true. I dont see it very much in either of these guys that are pretty old.
There are some women that are 60 or 70+ years old with super minor if any hair loss. Much less common in older men, but does that beg the question is it androgens that cause that difference over time? Even hamilton said older men go bald faster when injected with androgens vs younger. Does hair just get more sensitive with age, and all men are susceptible?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...erivatives/article_750/56998182bb004-book.jpg

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this really true? Would you say that all women at older ages like 50+ have worse quality hair as the result of aging? Frank vincent or ronald reagan dont seem to have very much aging related degradation. I am not saying it doesnt happen I just question to what extent that is true. I dont see it very much in either of these guys that are pretty old.
There are some women that are 60 or 70+ years old with super minor if any hair loss. Much less common in older men, but does that beg the question is it androgens that cause that difference over time? Even hamilton said older men go bald faster when injected with androgens vs younger. Does hair just get more sensitive with age, and all men are susceptible?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...erivatives/article_750/56998182bb004-book.jpg

I think what he means is the simple fact that your skin gets older, which has to lead to less hair density in your higher age, even if you won't be able to see it (as much as I know you won't even realize you're hair is getting less until 1/3 of it gets lost). George Clooney or Brad Pitt sure have less hair on their head than they had 20 years ago, but no one cares cause it looks nearly the same

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think what he means is the simple fact that your skin gets older, which has to lead to less hair density in your higher age, even if you won't be able to see it (as much as I know you won't even realize you're hair is getting less until 1/3 of it gets lost). George Clooney or Brad Pitt sure have less hair on their head than they had 20 years ago, but no one cares cause it looks nearly the same

Yeah your right, but look how many older women are out there that have almost zero hair loss. A much smaller percentage of 50+ women have hair loss than men. Which leads back to the question of if androgens cause male pattern baldness over time in all men. Every man has androgens so over decades the cumulative effect is male pattern baldness.
If aging leads to less hair density then why do many women at old age have perfect hair? A lot of people say its not about androgens, but androgens check so many boxes on why men lose hair so often compared to women. The amounts and sensitivity change over time naturally

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had aggresive hair loss, for me the combo dutasteride/minoxidil ( first finasteride minoxidil ) kept my hair loss frozen for 20 years. I dropped the dutasteride cause not longer available to tolerate the side effects. So far with minoxidil/alpha estradiol / topical spironolactone. big hair line ( norwood 2-3 still " frozed " ).
Thing is, Finasteride, sooner or later will give you sides.
U stopped topical spironolactone?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

Women over 30 have terrible quality hair

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Main question: are there any more long time efficacy studies about finasteride? any about finasteride + minoxidil together? It should be time to make one if not. Bernstein et al. says that ~85% should keep their hairstatus over 10 years with finasteride. What about 15 years? 20? With minoxidil?

Just in theory:

Let's assume you're one of those 85% and you just started balding at the age of 25 and taking finasteride. Is it naive to think that your hair will definitely stay the same for at least 15-20 years just because from the research so far there are no indicators that it shouldn't? And if Minoxidil works for you great as well and gives you regrowth, then you should be able to put 5-10 years in addition to the 15, because finasteride should be able to maintain the additional hair from minoxidil too, right? Then you decide to make a hairtransplant and still continue to use minoxidil and finasteride, that again should buy you 10 years or not? Then you're 55.

By 20 years there should be something out that let's you at least mantain your hair, that's what I suggest given the fact that technology gets research faster done and society from our generation is incredibly focused on looks = people would give all there money to have hair = big investments on research in this.

Am I wrong to be kind of optimistic for a guy that just started taking finasteride 1 year ago?
You won't have a good sample of ppl to answer this question in a website of bald guys.

My advice would be: try it and drawn your own conclusions. I have been taking finasteride for 6-7 years. I was looking a photo of when I decided to take the drug. I have more now than at that time. I also have almost zero side effects. My penis works. Minoxidil is too boring to use, so I just use finasteride.

If finastaride works for you, you might have 10+ years of a life free of hairloss. Your mental health has no price.

Anatman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. To many topicals, long term , can be annoying :) .
I haven't read all of your comments but so far it seems like you recommended spironolactone? So why throw out spironolactone? What is superior to spironolactone in your regimen?

Just asking out of interest :^)

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't read all of your comments but so far it seems like you recommended spironolactone? So why throw out spironolactone? What is superior to spironolactone in your regimen?

Just asking out of interest :^)
The good thing about topical spironolactone is that it don't go systemic, I know , Cause I tried it oral, and got gyno ( real one , had to get surgery ) . And with topical ( used before and after the oral ) had no the side effects that with oral .
Thing is , that I never used it alone to know if it works or not. Plus in Europe, use Canrenone , that it spouse that is the active metabolite , what really work as antiandrogen , in spironolactone .
However, the few studies done on acne , were all positive . Plus, Dr Lee use it , and he only used things that works .
It all depend on what else do you have or what else you are consider on use it .

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, Very new to this community. My story is I started on min at the age of 24. At 28 I started on finasteride. I am now 50 years of age. I can safely say it has kept pretty much all my hair for over 20 years. I think I'm a great case study. Also I have had no sides.

One thing I have noticed only in the last 2 months is a little thinning on one temple. Most people wouldn't notice it. I was thinking that maybe I was getting a bit cocky and was using Min sporadically. I'm now using 2 times a day religiously.

I went for my first IPRF session the other day which is a step up from PRP if anyone has had experience with this? I'm also about to start micro needling once every 2 weeks at 0.6mm. Any other suggestions? Just feel like at 50 I need a bit of a push. To keep all those gains from my 20's.

Thanks

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, Very new to this community. My story is I started on min at the age of 24. At 28 I started on finasteride. I am now 50 years of age. I can safely say it has kept pretty much all my hair for over 20 years. I think I'm a great case study. Also I have had no sides.

One thing I have noticed only in the last 2 months is a little thinning on one temple. Most people wouldn't notice it. I was thinking that maybe I was getting a bit cocky and was using Min sporadically. I'm now using 2 times a day religiously.

I went for my first IPRF session the other day which is a step up from PRP if anyone has had experience with this? I'm also about to start micro needling once every 2 weeks at 0.6mm. Any other suggestions? Just feel like at 50 I need a bit of a push. To keep all those gains from my 20's.

Thanks
Most likely your genetic is not that bad rather then the drug being effective that long. There are plenty of people th recede in their 20s and kept their hair until 60-70.
So its dosent mean the drug was that effective . Thing is ita harder to stop it from some age . Its not going to be easy keeping this hair at 50

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started balding pretty fast at the age of 18, or maybe earlier. Almost diffuse NW3 when I finally decided to start finasteride at 20. A few years later switched to dutasteride which i still take.

Can say for sure both drugs did their job keeping hairloss at bay. But couldnt get significant regrowth until dermarolling/stamping and minoxidil. That was a game changer for me.

34 now with almost a full head of hair.

Last edited:

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Kagaho Great stuff! Can I ask when you started using minoxodil? And also were you using minoxodil first and then stepped it up with derma rolling after a few years?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
Most likely your genetic is not that bad rather then the drug being effective that long. There are plenty of people th recede in their 20s and kept their hair until 60-70.
So its dosent mean the drug was that effective . Thing is ita harder to stop it from some age . Its not going to be easy keeping this hair at 50

im inclined to think the propecia did work for him for that long. The studies we do have don’t fall in line to the dogma spouted here about waning results at the decade mark. Im 15 years or so in and it’s working for me still. Unfortunately it’s almost impossible to prove either way without more studies.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Kagaho Great stuff! Can I ask when you started using minoxodil? And also were you using minoxodil first and then stepped it up with derma rolling after a few years?

My first experience with minoxidil was during the finasteride period, used it for 2 years aprox. Stopped because gains were minimal at best.

Restarted years later (2017) after realizing that what was happening to people experimenting with wounding and minoxidil correlated with the research available about wounding and hair regrowth (Cotsarelis, Dhurat, etc).

Now I can say for sure that a 'well crafted' wounding protocol (not so easy at first) with dutasteride is one of the best therapeutic options we have.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My first experience with minoxidil was during the finasteride period, used it for 2 years aprox. Stopped because gains were minimal at best.

Restarted years later (2017) after realizing that what was happening to people experimenting with wounding and minoxidil correlated with the research available about wounding and hair regrowth (Cotsarelis, Dhurat, etc).

Now I can say for sure that a 'well crafted' wounding protocol (not so easy at first) with dutasteride is one of the best therapeutic options we have.
Whats your "well crafted" wounding protocol like? Depth, frequency and topical dosages?

Im genuily interested, my case is very similar to yours (great manteinence from drugs but very mild regrowth), but haven't taken microneedling very serious yet and I probably should prioritize it.