Chances That finasteride + minoxidil Works Forever

if you're a good responder for both: minoxidil + finasteride + hairtransplant = hair forever?

• Total voters

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Main question: are there any more long time efficacy studies about finasteride? any about finasteride + minoxidil together? It should be time to make one if not. Bernstein et al. says that ~85% should keep their hairstatus over 10 years with finasteride. What about 15 years? 20? With minoxidil?

Just in theory:

Let's assume you're one of those 85% and you just started balding at the age of 25 and taking finasteride. Is it naive to think that your hair will definitely stay the same for at least 15-20 years just because from the research so far there are no indicators that it shouldn't? And if Minoxidil works for you great as well and gives you regrowth, then you should be able to put 5-10 years in addition to the 15, because finasteride should be able to maintain the additional hair from minoxidil too, right? Then you decide to make a hairtransplant and still continue to use minoxidil and finasteride, that again should buy you 10 years or not? Then you're 55.

By 20 years there should be something out that let's you at least mantain your hair, that's what I suggest given the fact that technology gets research faster done and society from our generation is incredibly focused on looks = people would give all there money to have hair = big investments on research in this.

Am I wrong to be kind of optimistic for a guy that just started taking finasteride 1 year ago?

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many people (possibly most) are slightly above baseline or better after 5 years of finasteride use. If you are a good responder (you don't have too aggressive hair loss) you may be able to keep your hair forever. Only time will tell. Also, I feel there is a 90%+ chance there will be some new treatment within the next 10 years because there are so many companies in phase 2 or 3 right now. For example, 1% Bimatoprost phase 2 studies showed equivalent growth to 5% Minoxidil. It has just not been officially released yet.

Reactions: soo

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had aggresive hair loss, for me the combo dutasteride/minoxidil ( first finasteride minoxidil ) kept my hair loss frozen for 20 years. I dropped the dutasteride cause not longer available to tolerate the side effects. So far with minoxidil/alpha estradiol / topical spironolactone. big hair line ( norwood 2-3 still " frozed " ).
Thing is, Finasteride, sooner or later will give you sides.

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I hear from a lot of people that in fact use at least finasteride since it came out and never even got under the baseline so far. But just can't tell if that's the majority or just some rare cases? Given in percent, how much is the security to have great hair for at least 20-30 years? A lot of people here are kind of pessimistic that it can freeze your status for that long, but if I look at the given research and stats so far.. it should definitely be the "usual" way it goes to keep it for at least this time?

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I hear from a lot of people that in fact use at least finasteride since it came out and never even got under the baseline so far. But just can't tell if that's the majority or just some rare cases? Given in percent, how much is the security to have great hair for at least 20-30 years? A lot of people here are kind of pessimistic that it can freeze your status for that long, but if I look at the given research and stats so far.. it should definitely be the "usual" way it goes to keep it for at least this time?
I would say after 20 years around half of the people taking finasteride will be somewhat below baseline. The point is, you don't really know the progression it will take, finasteride may not be enough and you could be below baseline after 2 years or you could still be above baseline 20 years later. You don't know until the time goes by.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is not the answer. It is a really dangerous drug, there are mot efficacious alternatives in the topical route.
If finasteride is so dangerous for you, then why you are taking dutasteride and topical spironolactone? They are much stronger than finasteride.

Distressed

My Regimen
Reaction score
I say it all depends and it's hard to predict since you never know if hair loss can be either just high DHT or follicles being or becoming super sensitive to DHT unless you get tested. finasteride never truly loses effectiveness, but moreso your hair becomes sensitive to the effects of DHT (since I believe DHT is causing a domino effect involving inflammation and more that leads to the follicle shrinking and becoming dormant, not just it by itself.)

I know for a fact that it gets harder to maintain when you reach an agepoint thats common in your family where your hair becoming sensitive to the DHT effect happens, though I've heard stories where people have their hair 20+ years longer than family members who loss their hair.

All I know is, treatment becomes a b**ch to mange once you hit your 40s-50s, but if you're a good responder, young, and your hair loss isn't making you jump several norwoods within months or a few years, I say it's possible to maintain for 10+ years.

Last edited:

jnestor481

Reaction score
You are some lucky guys if the big three really work for more than a few years. After three years of starting finasteride, I switched to dutasteride a few months ago. Hairline at temples starting to creep back. Mid-scalp density is sh*t, but basically unchanged since noticing my hair loss. Added topical castor+dmso, really does reduce my shed big time. Odd thing is though I get random new hairs around hairline.

Been on oral seti , 125mg twice daily. Looking to increase to at least a gram though after seeing westonci's results. Cost be damned. Fighting to the bitter end...

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 ; do you think the combo fina and minoxidil could keep the healthy hair ( not the miniaturied one ) for 5 years?
do you really need duta if you have an agressive hairloss ( my case ).?
the combo fina minoxidil kept your baseline ?

Prada1

Established Member
Reaction score
I used finas successfully for almost 10 years, from 25-35, during this time I used a moderate amount of anabolics too. My hair was very thick.
However after that it was as though a switch was turned on and I lost I would say maybe 20-30% density even when NOT using anabolics, go figure. Im a diffuse thinner and maybe lost 1/4 inch of my hair line. I can't say whether finas stopped working or my hairloss became very aggressive. But its odd bc even when I look at pro bodybuilder many had no hairloss or signs of it using tons of roids, when they were pros 20s 30s but when they retired and were in their 40-50s they had noticeable hairloss.

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had tricho since 6. Recovering of it at 12.
Started AA at 14 1/2 confirmed by dermato.
Started minoxidil at 15. Does wonders and achieve full regrowth NW0.5. Then it started to lose effectiveness and I loose everyting.
Still on minoxidil,it doesn't do anything,but I believe that it still useful for some vodoo/unproved reason. Faith maybe.
Started Fina at 17. Stopped AAG for 3 years (but not for temples haha) and lose a lil of his effectiveness each month.
DHT hit the bottom at 20 1/2 -> Hard side effects. Takes 3 to 4 months to recover at 70/80% without taking anything to help.
Without any serious Androgen blockers since April. Start to lose quite some at temples and goes right through NW2.5/NW3 for temples - and NW6 diffuse.
Actually 21 1/2 and struggling but never gave up.
I used Pantostatin and Eucapil to help halting this sh*t.Eucapil worked to halt it. But WAAAAAAAAY too expensive for the quantity.
Panto is too weak. Will try Oestrogen 1/2x a week.
I try to save up money to take UVB Lamp,Seti or Fevi and I'm waiting for my batch of RU and others product to make my ultimate Hair Loss Killer Stack (will make a documented thread in the future. It will be my last try against Androgenetic Alopecia b4 future cures,either way I go to the "shave it bro" cas)

For me,it's f*****g pointeless to try to stop hair loss if you don't have a PGD2 blocker,since PGD2 stocks in bald area and makes things 10000X worse. If you want to save,PGD2 + Androgen blocker and nothin' else. But it's fuckin expensive..Fevi for 2k19 is one of our only hope.

BIG 3 for good responders that last for years are...rare.So for me,forever is f*****g no. Nothing in this world is forever,so Big 3 too.

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For everyone who says that it's very lucky to have the same hairline after 10 years... the Rossi et al. study is pure bullsh*t then? I don't get it

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride hasn't been around long enough for us to know much of anything about what happens after 20 to 30+ years of continued use

10 years study gives good responders a level of assurance. Anecdotal reports of dudes being on it longer than that (up to 20 years) seem relatively positive

After that no one knows. Personally I'm taking my chances with it because the reward outweighs the risk for me at the moment

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 ; do you think the combo fina and minoxidil could keep the healthy hair ( not the miniaturied one ) for 5 years?
do you really need duta if you have an agressive hairloss ( my case ).?
the combo fina minoxidil kept your baseline ?
Sorry, but it is impossible to say. But, I think you will have great chances, add ketoconazole too. If you can use the cream instead of the shampoo, after the minoxidil at night.