Cetirizine Misunderstanding About Effectiveness

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started topical cetirizine 1ml at night because i read a lot of good things about it on forums about maintenance (even some about vellus regrow). And i havent heard anybody complaining they lost more hair after using it !

But now i just read someone talking about bad sides of topical cetirizine : It is inhibiting pgd2 (good) but aldo pge2 (bad).

Problem is i dont really understand those scientifics terms. Is blocking pgd2 worth it even if it blocks pge2. Or pged is more important than positive effects of cetirizine on hair loss.

If so, how can i increase pge2 and what would be an alternative to cetirizine... :(

Thnaks.

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello again friend.
You can check here this little website memo to help you fight hairloss , www.follacure.com (select the chemical and see it's effects)
You could go for exemple for emu-oil which reduces DHT, 5a-reductases and increases pge2. Because you said your hair was oily,it wouldn't be practical to add more oil...so, I guess ketoconazol shampoo would help you at least reduce the DHT.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i will definitly go have a look !!

5a-reductases = nizoral ? or i dont understand well

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i will definitly go have a look !!

5a-reductases = nizoral ? or i dont understand well
nizoral is a brand of shampoo that contains ketoconazole

Ketoconazole = lower DHT

http://www.follacure.com/t/ketoconazole
There you can see that it even helps you with colours and arrows to be completly clear on what the effects are. You do not need to know what 5a-reductases is but there will tell you if the result is good or bad (or unknown). For instance, look at emu oil (in this link)

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies have shown that Ceterizine increases PGE2. It needs to be studied more to determine if it truly increases PGE2 and decreases PGD2.

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies have shown that Ceterizine increases PGE2. It needs to be studied more to determine if it truly increases PGE2 and decreases PGD2.
there is one word missing in that study ... "Effectively"
does it lower PGD2 arround the hair root? Thats where we want it to be lowered... Locally powerfull strick agaisnt pgd2 which is what most "powerful" oils and things lack.
Finasteride lowers it overall pgd2 which isnt enough.

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
there is one word missing in that study ... "Effectively"
does it lower PGD2 arround the hair root? Thats where we want it to be lowered... Locally powerfull strick agaisnt pgd2 which is what most "powerful" oils and things lack.
Finasteride lowers it overall pgd2 which isnt enough.

As I stated, it needs to be studied more to see if it actually does this or if it was a mistake/to what degree it does this (higher PGE2 and lower PGD2) and what effect it has on hair. The studies that have been completed on it are either old or limited.

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ceterizine (aka Zyrtec) won't cause wrinkles. Any side effects are already well-known since cet is a common antihistimine for allergies. That's specifically why I'm trying cet instead of minoxidil.

Effectiveness is still questionable as far as I've read.