Castor Oil, Ricinoleic Acid, Ricinolein, And Pge2

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral castor oil (OC) got my attention because it has been one of the few things to give a noticeable improvement in hair quality in such a short time. Increased hair thickness started to become noticeable after ~6 weeks of using 5 mL a day. It's well-established that castor oil consists of mostly ricinolein, the triglyceride of ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid is formed from ricinolein in the low pH environment in the stomach/intestines, and this is the compound that has been studied for its effects on PGE2.

With this in mind, it doesn't make sense that topical castor oil would have any positive effect on hair growth via a PGE2-based mechanism. And even if ricinolein did have some PGE2 activity, it's MW > 900 would make it less than ideal for skin penetration.

For those who get side effects from OC, it seems like using topical ricinoleic acid (MW<300) would be a good choice. Surprisingly, I can't find anyone who has posted about doing this. I will test out topical ricinoelic acid and report back...

mvalley

Reaction score
Where are you obtaining the ricinoleic acid ? I think you can do the reaction from castor oil, but easier im sure to buy it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, i just started 2ml oral castor oil a few days ago, trying to avoid topicals in general tbh but it sounds good. No sides from the castor oil so far, i don't know if my dosage is too low but i will keep at it.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral castor oil (OC) got my attention because it has been one of the few things to give a noticeable improvement in hair quality in such a short time. Increased hair thickness started to become noticeable after ~6 weeks of using 5 mL a day. It's well-established that castor oil consists of mostly ricinolein, the triglyceride of ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid is formed from ricinolein in the low pH environment in the stomach/intestines, and this is the compound that has been studied for its effects on PGE2.

With this in mind, it doesn't make sense that topical castor oil would have any positive effect on hair growth via a PGE2-based mechanism. And even if ricinolein did have some PGE2 activity, it's MW > 900 would make it less than ideal for skin penetration.

For those who get side effects from OC, it seems like using topical ricinoleic acid (MW<300) would be a good choice. Surprisingly, I can't find anyone who has posted about doing this. I will test out topical ricinoelic acid and report back...
I have been trying to get my hands on it but no chemistry company made me buy it for any reason idk why. Please update man thanks

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

5ml a day? That dose would give serious diarrhea won't it? Just taking 2 ml a day makes my stomach uncomfortable

Last edited:

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I seem to be fine on 2ml, how long have you been taking oral castor oil for? any results?
Maybe I would see something if I were on an anti androgen; at the rate I am losing it is difficult to spot any gains. I don't think it has helped me much, but I have friends who say its helped them.

I was taking it for around a month, I also wasn't able to tolerate it every day so that may have played into it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe I would see something if I were on an anti androgen; at the rate I am losing it is difficult to spot any gains. I don't think it has helped me much, but I have friends who say its helped them.

I was taking it for around a month, I also wasn't able to tolerate it every day so that may have played into it.

Why are you not on finasteride or dutasteride? tried them before and got unbearable sides? or just scared to try? tbh i think zix is useless for most balding people but that is just my opinion.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you not on finasteride or dutasteride? tried them before and got unbearable sides? or just scared to try? tbh i think zix is useless for most balding people but that is just my opinion.

Close friend got really bad sides and its frightening. Doesn't help that I am a little young for it.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is zix helping?

I was using distilled water B6 and Zinc sulfate for a few weeks, all it seemed to do was leave white residue in my hair.

Might try again if I can get my hands on some ethyl - unfortunately all my stores near me have been raided for all their alcohol because of COVID

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Close friend got really bad sides and its frightening. Doesn't help that I am a little young for it.

What age are you? the risk of sides from finasteride is so small it is worth a try, if you get unbearable sides then just stop and you should be fine. Without a 5ari you are ultimately doomed and DHT will prevail.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What age are you? the risk of sides from finasteride is so small it is worth a try, if you get unbearable sides then just stop and you should be fine. Without a 5ari you are ultimately doomed and DHT will prevail.
I'm 18. I would probably nocebo myself into sides in minutes lol.

Gold24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18. I would probably nocebo myself into sides in minutes lol.

You could try microdosing finasteride, even 0.2 mg a day is very effective. At that dosage it would mean that even the small chance that you do experience side effects would be reduced significantly. I’m not trying to promote finasteride or anything, bit I think in this way risk is certainly minimised.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could try microdosing finasteride, even 0.2 mg a day is very effective. At that dosage it would mean that even the small chance that you do experience side effects would be reduced significantly. I’m not trying to promote finasteride or anything, bit I think in this way risk is certainly minimised.
Heavily considering it atm. Having a hard time weighing the risk/reward for myself.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my hands on it but no chemistry company made me buy it for any reason idk why. Please update man thanks

Here's an update:
I received 100 mL of RA and although it solidifies in freezer, as expected based on its freezing point, it has a strong odor that is different that what I would expect a plant oil to smell like. I am reluctant to use it on my scalp. The company was defensive when I queried them and sent a CoA but we all know CoA's can be generated easily. This is a real bummer because I've seen how effective oral castor is an really think topical RA will work.

There are many sellers of RA on Alibaba. It's not a rare chemical by any means and should not be difficult to get.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an update:
I received 100 mL of RA and although it solidifies in freezer, as expected based on its freezing point, it has a strong odor that is different that what I would expect a plant oil to smell like. I am reluctant to use it on my scalp. The company was defensive when I queried them and sent a CoA but we all know CoA's can be generated easily. This is a real bummer because I've seen how effective oral castor is an really think topical RA will work.

There are many sellers of RA on Alibaba. It's not a rare chemical by any means and should not be difficult to get.
May I ask how does it smell?

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an update:

I googled it and its a common industrial odor remover, also used in deodorant - I wonder if that means the industrial smell should be expected?

Honestly if we could just start using ricinoleic acid directly instead of using castor oil that would make topical applicaton so much easier - assuming it doesn't have the same horrible ooze texture