Castor Oil Question

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 0.5mm and it hurts like hell, how do you use 1.5mm? must feel like a meat tenderizer.

What do you use? I use the Derminator and found it to be much more efficient and less painful compared to the dermastamp I had. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts, but its only 10 mins once a week. I just imagine a dense NW1 to distract me from the pain.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A dermaroller, the wheel with the needles on it.

Interesting, do you think the derminator is more effective than dermarolling or is it just a matter of hassle/convenience? It's kinda steep at $190...

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
A dermaroller, the wheel with the needles on it.

Interesting, do you think the derminator is more effective than dermarolling or is it just a matter of hassle/convenience? It's kinda steep at $190...

Yeah, it is expensive but a worthwhile investment imo considering you'll be using it every week, it will last for years and it will save you a lot of pain and hassle. There's no doubt its more effective. Pretty sure dermarolling can pull your hair out anyway.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Been using castor oil 2-3x a week for past 2 weeks now, not sure if its done anything really.

I have however been increasing minoxidil 3x per day for the past month almost and that however seems to have improved results more.

Will still keep using both solutions, am giving finasteride+minoxidil+castor a good 6 months test again to see if its worth it, but so far its looking positive am getting wild and random hairs growing in my front hair line which were not present. I have also been trying some wacky and stupid exercizes to see if it helps.

Castor oil though as previously said its a nightmare on the head or anywhere it does not dry up even, I leave it on the head overnight and most of it looks like its rubbed off on the pillow! but I wash in morning so it comes off, I doubt I could use it during the day since it does make the hair sticky and messy and you don't look good!

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Swisstemples recommends using topical castor oil with a penetrating vehicle, e.g. ethanol. How much ethanol should I mix with my castor oil? Also, castor oil seems incredibly thick. Is mixing it with ethanol making it thin enough or do you guys mix it with some other thinner oil as well?

Mix it 50:50 with any lighter oil. Heat it in a small china or stone bowl and it will flow like water (on the hob not in microwave). Heat enough so it is just below that which burns your fingers but not so much it starts smoking. I put it on the smallest hob turned to minimum gas and turn off the hob when I can just begin to smell or see the fumes. The china/stone bowl will heat it a bit further and also keep it hot. Apply it before it gets cool or reheat again in between.

potato87

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone kind enough to link a UK castor oil on say Amazon for oral use? I really want to get started but I went on bought the Jamacan stuff which on here you say is no good. aaargh!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

potato87

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to do that for me, much appreciated! didn't want to drink the wrong stuff!! (I know the doses are small but still!)

mrcurns

Reaction score
If you read the comments on the Pukka castor oil, it says for external use only on the packaging. I'm also looking to purchase some from the UK but am not sure what is the okay for oral consumption?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you read the comments on the Pukka castor oil, it says for external use only on the packaging. I'm also looking to purchase some from the UK but am not sure what is the okay for oral consumption?

Pretty sure they all say that. As long as you're using food grade/pharmaceutical grade stuff its fine in low doses.

robot_hair

Reaction score
I use 0.5mm and it hurts like hell, how do you use 1.5mm? must feel like a meat tenderizer.

I just now did 1.5mm for the first time. I used lidocaine. (After applying the lidocaine, I washed my hair. I did this because it might be bad for lidocaine to enter the blood stream.)

I have no idea how people do it without numbing with ice, lidocaine, or pain medication.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They follow the No-Pain No-Gain mantra. Lidocaine injections you mean? How do you even get your hands on that.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on HairLossTalk.com seen any benefit from oral castor oil? Swisstemples is using so many things nowadays, even he couldn't really be proof. Right?

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure how alive this thread is. But there's a video on youtube called "Grow THICKER HAIR NATURALLY with oils!!!!" by a channel "EricTipsReviews!" . He uses a gangload of oils including castor oil. I'm wondering what anyone thinks about his methods of mixing oils together.[h=1][/h]

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure how alive this thread is. But there's a video on youtube called "Grow THICKER HAIR NATURALLY with oils!!!!" by a channel "EricTipsReviews!" . He uses a gangload of oils including castor oil. I'm wondering what anyone thinks about his methods of mixing oils together.

I've seen it. I do think there is something to say about using oils, but its effects will probably be very temporary and small if not used with other treatments. There have definitely been studies about certain oil helping hair grow but I wouldn't rely on it much because who can do that all the time for the rest of your life.

If you enjoy applying oil do it. It will help your scalp and hair be healthier and you'll feel better. Might help grow some hair, but I wont be crossing my fingers.

Reaction score
Not sure how alive this thread is. But there's a video on youtube called "Grow THICKER HAIR NATURALLY with oils!!!!" by a channel "EricTipsReviews!
" . He uses a gangload of oils including castor oil. I'm wondering what anyone thinks about his methods of mixing oils together.

I do not believe in any of these natural topical treatments. I mean I see videos on you tube of some Indian guys claiming some ginger, honey & lemon in your hair will make your hair grow back in a heartbeat. iger lemn weri goot for your hair. Perhaps oil is healthy for your scalp (skin) but probably nothing beyond that.

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i like coconut oil better. It's apparently the only oil that can actually penetrate the hair shaft and nurture it so i figure whatever hair I can regrow I can nourish them.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. I don't feel that any sort of oil is realistically going to make a huge difference in hairloss. I was more curious as to how to utilize castor oil. How would the efficacy of castor oil (as limited as it may be ) change with either oral, topical/mixing with other oils etc.

It was also mentioned earlier by Koga that swisstemples had recommended mixing topical castor oil with ethanol as a carrier. In terms of efficacy (from least effective to most effective) would it be something like : topical castor oil , oral castor oil, topical castor oil with carrier.

HLT_Jay

Reaction score
various oils

I'm also considering using castor oil but the web is showing me so many alternatives it's hard to choose what to go for