Castor Oil - Dosage, Sides, Evidence

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a bunch of folks, myself included, expressing interest in castor oil on the microneedling thread and I'm interested in trying it, but still have a few questions, so I thought I'd create a separate thread for it.

1) toxicity

First, here's a list of studies looking into the toxicity of castor oil. There's some stuff that has me mildly concerned in there.

2) absorption

As I think someone mentioned in the microneedling thread, there might be some issues with absorption in topical use. Here's something useful I found:

"It can take time for the skin to fully absorb castor oil, but diluting the oil can promote absorption into the skin.

People can dilute castor oil with other oils, such as olive or peanut oil. The recommended ratio is 1:1 – the quantity of castor oil should be the same as the oil with which it is mixed."

Note, I'm not sure olive oil should be used. I've read some studies and it was found to disrupt the skin barrier or something like that.

3) dosage

I imagine no one has the answer to this, but is there any indication or theory about what the dosage should be and how often for both oral and topical.

4) any evidence?

I understand what the theory is behind why castor oil should promote hair growth and I know there's been some anecdotal evidence from folks here on the forum, but is there any evidence in the scientific lit that it can promote hair growth in baldies?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works on eyelashes, eyebrows. It has worked on my beard. But that obviously doesn’t mean it will work for the hair on your head.

If you’re taking it orally it should be organic, cold pressed, hexane-free castor oil, and not Jamaican black castor oil.

E-nC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want something to stack with finasteride and minoxidil so I can thicken hairs.