Carrier liquid for topical

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin of creating my own topical by the use of a "mystic" herb that claims to be a cure for a number of ailments. I've acquired it in powder form and would like to mix up a topical from it. Problem is that I need a carrier liquid that is non harmful to the skin and hair (even beneficial would be better) and need it to be more viscous than water.

Any advice (not expecting much though) would be appreciated.

Oh..and the name of the herb is a secret as requested by its supplier, sorry guys. plz don't hate but I got to respect his wishes. Thx.

Jacob

Reaction score
But why wouldn't the supplier want to sell more of it...

As for a carrier..Emu oil?

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
well...he has to establish a name for himself first...as there other that provide a similar product (he's a close friend of mine)...all i can say is that it makes sense that stuff might help the hair out.

And about the carrier liquid (thanks for the suggestion by the way), it also has to be something that penetrates and carries the subtance into the skin. Thanx.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well you could have Dr. Yechiel use their tech- nanosomes etc. Elsomresearch.com

I don't make my own topicals..I just know some use Emu Oil.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bash said:
I'm thinkin of creating my own topical by the use of a "mystic" herb that claims to be a cure for a number of ailments. I've acquired it in powder form and would like to mix up a topical from it. Problem is that I need a carrier liquid that is non harmful to the skin and hair (even beneficial would be better) and need it to be more viscous than water.

Any advice (not expecting much though) would be appreciated.

Oh..and the name of the herb is a secret as requested by its supplier, sorry guys. plz don't hate but I got to respect his wishes. Thx.

I'm a little confused on what would be the benefit of mixing an herb with a carrier oil and expecting it to work "as is".

Most herbs have to go through extraction first in order to "release" their phytochemicals, etc. (Don't be afraid of this, it's EASY to do!)

I would suggest asking your friend what he thinks about this generally accepted way of getting the good stuff out of the herb.
Once the extraction is done, then there are MANY carrier oils, liquids, etc., that you can use.

I would do a search on the internet for cosmetic carrier articles, etc.

I'll try and find a site for you, but you first have to find out if extraction is necessary.

Here's a basic description of herbal extractions, etc.:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/med/herbalhaumana.htm

Here's another basic description:

http://www.rain-tree.com/prepmethod.htm

Here's a site with a more "professional" presentation, etc.:

http://www.scienceboard.net/community/p ... es.28.html

Finally, this is a good site for a discussion of cosmetics and how they can be made:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e21.htm

Btw, just because a herb is in powdered form doesn't mean it's ready to use topically as is. The good stuff can be extracted quicker and you could put the powder in a capsule for internal use, or mix with water and swallow. These are the reasons alot of people like their raw herbs in powder form. It DOESN"T mean you can just put the stuff on your head without first going through the extraction process.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
I must say that I really appreciate your reply. Thank you :D

The active ingredirnt in the herb has been extracted and proven to have beneficial medical results. I'm looking know for a suitable skin friendly carrier liquid in which the extract dissolves and is carried into the skin, I have hints but any advice is highly appreciated.

2tone

Reaction score
Bash can you post up on what hints you habve recieved apart from what is on this thread .. i am considering making my own topical formula myself and i would like to compare noytes .. i'm not asking for he secret ingredients but what your basic compound is looking like ..

cheers

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Glycerine. It's used in many skin/haircare cosmetics and it's a moisturiser so should be good for the skin. It is also an excellent solvent. I have been using it for about 10 months now in my topical spironolactone and it's been good for me.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry that should have been Glycerol, which is completely different to glycerine. Please don't put glycerine on your head. It won't accomplish anything.