Carnitine l tartrate clinical significance

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this supplement as a topical? The research has me anxious to form a topical but the study used liposomes as a carrier for the carntine tartrate and not alcohol.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...-HyPSm&sig=AHIEtbR778kikMypViH0X2qsqobroaKs0A

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
[h=1]Topically applied L-carnitine effectively reduces sebum secretion in human skin.[/h]Peirano RI, Hamann T, Düsing HJ, Akhiani M, Koop U, Schmidt-Rose T, Wenck H.
[h=3]Source[/h]Beiersdorf AG, Research & Development, Skin Research, Hamburg, Germany.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]BACKGROUND:[/h]  Oily skin condition is caused by an excessive sebaceous gland activity, resulting in an overproduction of sebum, giving the skin an undesired shiny, oily appearance.
[h=4]AIMS:[/h]  To identify an active substance that reduces sebum production in human sebaceous glands by regulating fat metabolism in a natural way.
[h=4]PATIENTS/METHODS:[/h]  The effects of L-carnitine on β-oxidation and intracellular lipid content were investigated in vitro using the human sebaceous cell line SZ95. Penetration experiments utilizing pig skin as a model system were performed with a cosmetic formulation containing radioactively labeled L-carnitine. To determine the in vivo effects, a vehicle-controlled, randomized study was carried out using a cosmetic formulation containing 2%l-carnitine for 3 weeks. Sebum production was investigated utilizing the lipid-absorbent Sebutape(®).
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]  SZ95 cells treated with 0.5% or 1% L-carnitine demonstrated a significant concentration-dependent increase in β-oxidation compared to control cells. Following the treatment with L-carnitine, intracellular lipid concentrations decreased significantly in a dose-dependent manner compared with untreated control cells. In skin penetration experiments, topically applied L-carnitine reached the dermis. In addition, topical in vivo application of a formulation containing 2% L-carnitine for 3 weeks significantly decreased the sebum secretion rate compared to the treatment with vehicle.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]  Our results show that the treatment of human sebocytes with L-carnitine significantly augments β-oxidation and significantly decreases intracellular lipid content in human sebocytes. Topically applied L-carnitine is bioavailable and leads to a significant sebum reduction in vivo. In conclusion, L-carnitine represents a valuable compound, produced naturally within the body, for the topical treatment of oily skin in humans.
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Dunno, but liposome will be the best way to go.. It goes deeper in the dermi and at a slower pace. so L-carnitine does the job all day..

- - - Updated - - -

When you look at it.. male pattern baldness is just a different name for Acne on your head. They both work on the same principles. Lipid mediators- Sebaceous glands hyperplasia- Inflammation- Oxidative stress-Androgen...

- - - Updated - - -

This study with Tocotrienols is really impressive as well.

http://www.tocotrienol.org/images/stories/pdf_upload/Magazines/tsuprabio%20hair%20loss%20prevention%20and%20beyond.pdf
http://ernd.usm.my/journal/journal/TLSR%2021-2-8-%2891-99%29.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Zileuton, an oral 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, directly reduces sebum production.[/h]Zouboulis ChC, Saborowski A, Boschnakow A.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Dermatology, Charité University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany. christos.zouboulis@charite.de

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]BACKGROUND:[/h]Zileuton, a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, reduces the number of inflammatory lesions in moderate acne and inhibits the synthesis of sebaceous lipids.
[h=4]OBJECTIVE:[/h]To detect whether zileuton directly reduces sebum synthesis.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]A 40-year-old female with mild disseminated sebaceous gland hyperplasia and seborrhea was treated with zileuton 4 x 600 mg/day over 2 weeks, was followed-up for 6 weeks after discontinuation of zileuton and was re-treated with low-dose isotretinoin 10 mg/2nd day over 5 weeks. Casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis were determined.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Under treatment with zileuton increased casual skin surface lipids were normalized and synthesis of facial sebum was decreased. Six weeks after discontinuation of treatment casual skin surface lipids were increased again and synthesis of sebum returned to baseline. Subsequent low-dose isotretinoin treatment led to similar changes of casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis with zileuton already after 2 weeks.
[h=4]CONCLUSION:[/h]Zileuton directly inhibits sebum synthesis in a transient manner with a potency similar to low-dose isotretinoin at least in our patient.

- - - Updated - - -

Really cool Study about Acne and Glutathione..

J Cosmet Dermatol. 2011 Sep;10(3):240-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1473-2165.2011.00570.x.
[h=1]Decrease in glutathione may be involved in pathogenesis of acne vulgaris.[/h]Ikeno H, Tochio T, Tanaka H, Nakata S.
[h=3]Source[/h]Ikeno Clinic of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, 1-14-4 Ginza Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan. cubikeno@tea.ocn.ne.jp

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]BACKGROUND:[/h]Some past studies reported that oxidative stress components such as reactive oxygen species (ROS) or lipid peroxide (LPO) are involved in the pathogenesis and progression of acne vulgaris. In this study, we hypothesized that the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris may depend on the differences in antioxidative activity among antioxidants in our body. We collected samples of stratum corneum from acne patients and healthy subjects and compared the quantity of gluthathione (GSH), one of many antioxidative components in our body, for comparison.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]Samples of stratum corneum were collected from facial acne-involved lesion, facial uninvolved area, and the medial side of the upper arm in acne vulgaris patients. Similarly, samples were collected from a facial uninvolved area and the medial side of the upper arm in healthy subjects. The quantity of GSH was measured in each area. In vitro effects of alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone (α-MSH) on GSH synthesis-related gene were also examined.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]The quantity of GSH in stratum corneum from each area was significantly lower in acne vulgaris patients than that of healthy subjects. There was no significant difference in quantity of GSH between the acne-involved lesion and uninvolved area in acne patients. In vitro studies showed that the expression level of Glutamate-cysteine ligase catalytic subunit (GCLC), one of the GSH synthesis-related genes, was significantly decreased by the additional use of α-MSH.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]We conclude that a decline in antioxidative activity led by a decrease in GSH quantity may play an important role in pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. The use of α-MSH may further decrease the GSH level.
© 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
bump!

- - - Updated - - -

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using Carnitine Tartrate for about 4-5 years. Good results in my opinion. I'm too lazy/tired to login/write/argue/share here on this site, sorry for that.
The summary is: tried all kind of anti-DHT stuff (propecia, topical spironolactone, fluridil), all gave me horrible sides. Tried various kinds of topicals like minoxi, Dr Proctor's stuff, Grapeseed oil, spectral DNS, etc. with minor success.
I actually tried C-T as last option before letting go everything, and I also decided to let go of reading/writing in sites. Since it worked pretty well to slow baldness I didn't come back here for such a long time.

garyhary

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for writing again in this thread which is dead already for a long time. I was wondering if anyone takes l-carnitine tartrate against hair loss and saw some results. I saw that there is a study from 2007 that shows some evidence that it helps with hair loss http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17927577

I was wondering if anyone else has some results to report as Beethoven has...