Cardio and Hair Loss

Options123

Reaction score
Long term lurker, first time poster.

I have read just about every thread about cardio exercise and its effects on T and DHT on this site, and it seems that the majority of the people on here seem to believe that cardio cannot affect your male pattern baldness. However, I recently purchased this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15618989 after finding it on the baldness management wikipedia page, and noticed that rigorous exercise can lower free testosterone by over 35%. Am I missing something?

by the way thanks to everyone for your posts on this site. It has been extremely helpful. I am just about to start a regimen, I took a before pic, and I hope to contribute to the success stories area one day. :punk:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
irrelevant. it's how much is converted to DHT. the only way to stop that is with something like finasteride

Options123

Reaction score
Yes, but dht is created from free testosterone. If you cut free testosterone in half why wouldn't that cut dht in half. If it didn't, that would be surprising.

Options123

Reaction score
I just found this on wikipedia too - "The levels of free androgens and not of total androgens are relevant to the levels of DHT in the scalp and the progression of male pattern baldness."

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
I donno I don't think it is really a big thing in the fight at all...

I do boxing and the cardio training is intense, yet theres bald guys surrounding me there as well as my balding self.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
your stress hormones will go up with rigorous exercise and make you go bald instead.

So....your screwed if you do, your screwed if you dont.

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I would think cardio would help as it increases blood flow.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
It increases blood flow, reduces stress and is absolutely beneficial for your overall health: ergo, cardio should get its place in anyone's life.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont tell me some people actually believe its a form of hairloss prevention. :shakehead:
There are bald endurance athletes the world over.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Dont tell me some people actually believe its a form of hairloss prevention. :shakehead:

And I know a guy who smokes and got tons of hair.. right. I'm not saying it will prevent baldness, but rather saying that it's beneficial to overall health, including the blood flow to the scalp. Bad blood flow might be a(n aggravating) factor to one's hair loss: it's scientifically proven that cardio helps with this issue.

Scottzuh

Reaction score

I believe running although beneficial as cardio, might increase hair loss in certain people with receding hair because the pounding is like constant tugging at the hairs, especially the bangs. I usually use a stationary bike.

JulieReeves

Reaction score
Cardio is very healthy for your body. Cardio will help blood circulation and when blood circulation is improved your hair is affected as well. When your hair is not getting enough blood it can become very unhealthy and even promote some shedding. Just remember to shower and cleanse hair thoroughly after excercising.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Call me paranoid, but I believe my hairloss has worsened since I started working out three months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

More testosterone = More DHT = Greater risk of male pattern baldness

It's a simple equation and makes total sense to me but I don't know any studies that can back this up.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, started running again about 2 months ago. Hair before-- reasonably happy, hair now--- looks like crap! Not sure if hair has just been affected in texture, or if its caused hair loss - even though ive tried to wash my hair straight after. Same thing happened to me last year.

When my hair looks this bad it's so depressing.

Could just be paranoia of course.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, started running again about 2 months ago. Hair before-- reasonably happy, hair now--- looks like crap! Not sure if hair has just been affected in texture, or if its caused hair loss - even though ive tried to wash my hair straight after. Same thing happened to me last year.

When my hair looks this bad it's so depressing.

Could just be paranoia of course.

The same happened to me! When I started working out, I entered my first shed and it didn't end for months! The only exercise I do now is long walks + iPhone + headphones = nirvana (not the band, the "place" haha). Especially when it's nice out.

Danik0226

Reaction score
I take finasteride before I lift, and lately I have been doing cardio immediately after. I have managed to keep my hair line and vertex for almost 10 years now (now 30), but have lost some density to the point where it looks kind of thin if I buzz it. Quite frankly I think I could have held on to much more density had I been consistently doing cardio. I have had high blood pressure for years now, and I am beginning to wonder if that plays a part in it as well. Personally I think auto-immune issues, inflammatory issues (onset by DHT and other hormones), and circulatory issues (atherosclerosis, etc.) all play a part in hair loss. I do feel there are people who are very disposed to begin with. The best you can do is use the big 3, experiment with some promising new things, and live a balanced healthy life. Stressing beyond that is just unhealthy.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
. Personally I think auto-immune issues, inflammatory issues (onset by DHT and other hormones), and circulatory issues (atherosclerosis, etc.) all play a part in hair loss. I do feel there are people who are very disposed to begin with.

I feel this way whole heartedly. I still keep meaning to call my Doctor because I want to get my thyroid checked because that can also cause considerable shedding.
I think working +/- hairloss might depend on the person, their severity, their other conditions. It might be possible one guy who works out can save (NOT GROW) his hair for a while but another may lose it.

When it comes to T and DHT conversions, I now think your body will convert what it feels it needs regardless of the situation, unless youre using finasteride. DHT is still relevant in your body at any age so the body will naturally adjust. to make and dispose of what it needs.

In the end DHT isnt the enemy its our own hairs allergic reaction to it.
This is why I agree on your thought of auto immunity. Technically allergies and asthma are forms of auto immune disorders so they are fairly common.

hamiod

Reaction score
If you try cardio especially Yoga it helps to improve blood circulation in entire body.hence when blood circulation is in right amount toward your hairs than its mean its quite good for your hair's health as well as overall body health

james555

Reaction score
if anyone tells you exercise wont at least help with hair loss problems, you can be sure they are believing what they want to.

of course it helps, its not only DHT which is the enemy. Its inflammation which some people don't seem to get. Hormones like DHT, cause inflammation, which then causes the hair follicles to thin hair, or lose it.

From personal experience, when i run 3 times a week regularly, i stop losing hair almost 95%. And if I stop taking sugars (i have a sweet tooth) then it further helps almost stop it totally.