Capillus Cap Line Question And Feedback

Prior

My Regimen
Reaction score
A Doctor from Bosley recommended a Capillus cap to help stop additional loss of hair. I have a few questions regarding the cap line:

-The only difference between the three caps is the amount of lasers. Is the additional amount of lasers worth 3000 dollars versus 900?

-Did the cap provide any gains? And if so on what part of the scalp?

-If worn, and regularly replaced for the rest of my life, will this cap prevent any additional losses?

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Capillus products are absolute rubbish. LLLT can work to a degree but you'll need a product with a high-powered laser.

Prior

My Regimen
Reaction score
Capillus products are absolute rubbish. LLLT can work to a degree but you'll need a product with a high-powered laser.

I'm looking to stop the progression of hair loss. So you're saying I shouldn't expect that will the Capillus caps? In general do laser caps provide quality results? Or are they not worth the high price tag.

Also if my main goal is stopping the progression of hair loss would oral propecia alone suffice?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral propecia will suffice on its own. You can choose to add minoxidil if need be.

The effectiveness of LLLT is very questionable.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm looking to stop the progression of hair loss. So you're saying I shouldn't expect that will the Capillus caps? In general do laser caps provide quality results? Or are they not worth the high price tag.

Also if my main goal is stopping the progression of hair loss would oral propecia alone suffice?

Capillus caps do not provide quality results and the caps themselves will not last long. You should try oral propecia and see what happens. You can always add onto your regimen later on.

Prior

My Regimen
Reaction score
Capillus caps do not provide quality results and the caps themselves will not last long. You should try oral propecia and see what happens. You can always add onto your regimen later on.
Oral propecia will suffice on its own. You can choose to add minoxidil if need be.

The effectiveness of LLLT is very questionable.

Does Propecia allow for gains? Or is it's main purpose to prevent additional loses? Also are the odds of a declining libido very slim as a side effect?

HairOnFire

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A Doctor from Bosley recommended a Capillus cap to help stop additional loss of hair. I have a few questions regarding the cap line:

-The only difference between the three caps is the amount of lasers. Is the additional amount of lasers worth 3000 dollars versus 900?

-Did the cap provide any gains? And if so on what part of the scalp?

-If worn, and regularly replaced for the rest of my life, will this cap prevent any additional losses?

LLLT can be effective for pattern baldness. It can reduce hair loss, and provide a bit of regrowth. Just don't expect miracles.

I don't have experience with the Capillus cap, but in my opinion, $3K is way too much to spend on a LLLT device. There are a number of alternatives for far less money. More lasers may provide a slightly better result, but even devices with a more limited number of lasers can be effective. I would choose a balance between the number of lasers and the cost.

A new study:

Dermatol Surg. 2018 Jun 27. doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000001577. [Epub ahead of print]
Efficacy and Safety of a Low-Level Light Therapy for Androgenetic Alopecia: A 24-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Self-Comparison, Sham Device-Controlled Trial.
Mai-Yi Fan S1, Cheng YP2, Lee MY3, Lin SJ1,4,5,6, Chiu HY1,4,7.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Previous studies have reported the benefits of low-level/light laser therapy (LLLT) for the promotion of hair regrowth. However, the effectiveness of LLLT for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is still a topic of debate.

OBJECTIVE:
To investigate the efficacy and safety of LLLT on hair regrowth in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

METHODS:
This 24-week, randomized, double-blind, self-comparison, sham device-controlled trial enrolled 100 patients with Androgenetic Alopecia. All participants were randomly assigned to receive the investigational LLLT on one side of the head and sham light treatment on the contralateral side, 3 times weekly for 30 minutes each, over a 24-week period. Global scalp photography, phototrichogram assessment, the investigator's global assessment (IGA) of hair regrowth, and the subject's assessment of the treatment satisfaction were used for evaluation.

RESULTS:
After 24 weeks of treatment, the LLLT-treated scalp exhibited significantly greater hair coverage than the sham light-treated side (14.2% vs. 11.8%, p < .001). A significantly greater improvement from baseline in hair thickness, hair count, hair coverage, and IGA were also observed in the LLLT-treated side than in the sham light-treated side at the 12- and 24-week visits. No serious adverse events were observed.

CONCLUSION:
The use of LLLT might be an effective, safe, well-tolerated treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Prior

My Regimen
Reaction score
LLLT can be effective for pattern baldness. It can reduce hair loss, and provide a bit of regrowth. Just don't expect miracles.

I don't have experience with the Capillus cap, but in my opinion, $3K is way too much to spend on a LLLT device. There are a number of alternatives for far less money. More lasers may provide a slightly better result, but even devices with a more limited number of lasers can be effective. I would choose a balance between the number of lasers and the cost.

A new study:

Dermatol Surg. 2018 Jun 27. doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000001577. [Epub ahead of print]
Efficacy and Safety of a Low-Level Light Therapy for Androgenetic Alopecia: A 24-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Self-Comparison, Sham Device-Controlled Trial.
Mai-Yi Fan S1, Cheng YP2, Lee MY3, Lin SJ1,4,5,6, Chiu HY1,4,7.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Previous studies have reported the benefits of low-level/light laser therapy (LLLT) for the promotion of hair regrowth. However, the effectiveness of LLLT for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is still a topic of debate.

OBJECTIVE:
To investigate the efficacy and safety of LLLT on hair regrowth in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

METHODS:
This 24-week, randomized, double-blind, self-comparison, sham device-controlled trial enrolled 100 patients with Androgenetic Alopecia. All participants were randomly assigned to receive the investigational LLLT on one side of the head and sham light treatment on the contralateral side, 3 times weekly for 30 minutes each, over a 24-week period. Global scalp photography, phototrichogram assessment, the investigator's global assessment (IGA) of hair regrowth, and the subject's assessment of the treatment satisfaction were used for evaluation.

RESULTS:
After 24 weeks of treatment, the LLLT-treated scalp exhibited significantly greater hair coverage than the sham light-treated side (14.2% vs. 11.8%, p < .001). A significantly greater improvement from baseline in hair thickness, hair count, hair coverage, and IGA were also observed in the LLLT-treated side than in the sham light-treated side at the 12- and 24-week visits. No serious adverse events were observed.

CONCLUSION:
The use of LLLT might be an effective, safe, well-tolerated treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia.

So if I use Propecia there's no real need for the Capllus cap? In other words it would be overkill.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does Propecia allow for gains? Or is it's main purpose to prevent additional loses? Also are the odds of a declining libido very slim as a side effect?

At most it will maintain, but even that is not a certainty, you may need dutasteride. It's up you, but i would get on an AA before laser caps which are dubious at best(atleast compared to AA's)