Cant you stop taking minoxidil after 2yrs if your on finasteride as well

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using the big 3 for about 9months :D and plan on staying on the program for as long as needed. But I been wondering, since finasteride stops testosterone from turning to DHT, which is a major cause of male pattern baldness, do you need to keep taking minoxidil, which is just a growth stimulant? From what i recall on these boards, everyone says once you start using either, your on it for life (unless you want your hair to fall out) :eek: .

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Read the following recent studies (it's a sizeable download of over 600k):

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/finasteride-minoxidil.htm

Finasteride alone can't always maintain hair grown by minoxidil.

Bryan

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you, that article answered my question perfectly. :D

I wonder if anyone has any personal findings...?

pangelid

Reaction score
what if we drop down from apply twice a day to once a day. does anyone have experience with this? big shed still? little shed?

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
pangelid said:
what if we drop down from apply twice a day to once a day. does anyone have experience with this? big shed still? little shed?

Ive only used minoxidil once a day. I just put it on at night before bed as I dont want my hair greasy all day. I would say after the 2 year mark, once a day would be fine.

pangelid

Reaction score
ChiaHead said:
pangelid said:

Ive only used minoxidil once a day. I just put it on at night before bed as I dont want my hair greasy all day. I would say after the 2 year mark, once a day would be fine.

i've only been on minoxidil one year. had pretty decent results, but lately the irritation killed all. will a drop down from twice a day to once a day cause a shed? I have to give some time until my scalp gets in order with folligen.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This topic came up just last week here

minoxidil is a lifetime commitment, I'm afriad. Good thing its so cheap!

G

Re: Cant you stop taking minoxidil after 2yrs if your on finasteride as

ChiaHead said:
Ive been using the big 3 for about 9months :D and plan on staying on the program for as long as needed. But I been wondering, since finasteride stops testosterone from turning to DHT, which is a major cause of male pattern baldness, do you need to keep taking minoxidil, which is just a growth stimulant? From what i recall on these boards, everyone says once you start using either, your on it for life (unless you want your hair to fall out) :eek: .

Stay on ninoxidil. You need a multi-pronged attack to deal with male pattern baldness.

pangelid

Reaction score
flux said:
This topic came up just last week here

minoxidil is a lifetime commitment, I'm afriad. Good thing its so cheap!

yes I understand the importance to stay on, but no one addressed the issue of dropping down from two applications a day to once. any input?

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here's my experience with propecia and minoxidil. I was on Propecia for 6 months and minoxidil for 1.5 years by the summer of '99. I had regrown practically everything at this point and decided to get rid of the minoxidil. Did that for two months and developed recession and thinning of frontal hairline. I was pissed. Luckily I got back on minoxidil and grew everything back.
Ok, experience number two. Summer of 2001 I developed irritation from the minoxidil. It was so bad that I was scratching my head while I was asleep to the point that my scalp would bleed and be sore the whole next day. I had to start using only at night rather than twice daily. This was fine. I was able to maintain everything. Also, my scalp got healthier than ever and my hair started to look better than ever. You don't want to compromise your sclap health, but never, never, ever, ever stop using minoxidil(unless of course you get systemic sides or tellogen effluvium) if you want to keep your hair.
As a side note, I found denorex shampoo/conditioner the other day and it is honestly the most refreshing, itch relieving, product I have ever used. I use the 3.0% salicylic acid formulation.

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, be careful with folligen. That irritated the hell out of my scalp and left it with a green tint and green scabs all over. You may want to dilute the folligen solution if you find it does the same to you.

pangelid

Reaction score
fro said:
Also, be careful with folligen. That irritated the hell out of my scalp and left it with a green tint and green scabs all over. You may want to dilute the folligen solution if you find it does the same to you.

yea, i definitely agree. I came home with some distilled water to dilute.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 3 months about a year and a half ago. I found the routine of applying twice a day too be to much so dropped it. I got very itchy scalp from using the stuff. My crown definatly thinned faster than if I'd never used it. I'm on finasteride 3.5 months and am finding that routine alot more manageable.

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you don't want to compromise the health of your scalp. With an unhealthy scalp, nothing will work. But minoxidil 1x per day works very well, too, and you get much less, if any, irritation.

pangelid

Reaction score
fro said:
Like I said, you don't want to compromise the health of your scalp. With an unhealthy scalp, nothing will work. But minoxidil 1x per day works very well, too, and you get much less, if any, irritation.

Hey guys, i just wanted to say thanx for the valuable info. Can someone address whether there is a shed if I were to drop down from minoxidil twice a day to once a day, while still on propecia. I am using minoxidil for around 1 yr now and Propecia about 7mos.

Reaction score
I have a question....

I am just using Propecia for maintenance right now...along with Nizoral for scalp health. But...I am thinking about adding a mild growth stimulant because I have noticed some thinning on top and front (hair line).

So, should I ride this out a little longer to see if the thinning will produce thicker/healthier hair as it grows back or should I start something mild like Folligen or Revivogen? I don't think I am at a point to start minoxidil/Rogaine yet.

G

WRX_STi_Driver said:
I have a question....

I am just using Propecia for maintenance right now...along with Nizoral for scalp health. But...I am thinking about adding a mild growth stimulant because I have noticed some thinning on top and front (hair line).

So, should I ride this out a little longer to see if the thinning will produce thicker/healthier hair as it grows back or should I start something mild like Folligen or Revivogen? I don't think I am at a point to start minoxidil/Rogaine yet.

Reviv and Folligen are not known for their growth stimulating properties.

That would be minoxidil or NANO.