Can't use finasteride due to a pre-existing side... spironolactone an option?

Reaction score
So I had tried minoxidil but it irritated me quite badly, my heart beats were irregular and uncomfortable (confirmed by doctors) as well as electric-shock likes pains across my body.
I had Finscar arrive some days ago; however, simultaneously I had gynecomastia confirmed at the docs - which I had long suspected but ignored (much like hairloss). So I don't want to mess about with finasteride and worsen the gyno - as I plan to get it removed soon. Even after that, I dont think finasteride is an option as I wouldn't want to risk the Gyno reoccuring.

So, what can I use instead, I'm on Nizoral as well as MSM, Biotin, Zinc etc... Is spironolactone an option? It seems remarkably rare to find on the internet, is that due to it's lack of effectiveness? I am just wondering. Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
seaback said:
oral or topical ?

Well I can't use anything oral that would lead to gyno, as I already have it.
So, topical seems best. I guess I'm interested in the claims about spironolactone - but I wonder why it seems so obscure.

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
spironolactone is not nearly as effective as finasteride

there are not many success stories with spironolactone yet.

im sure it works to some degree, just not as well as finasteride.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :)

So what do you think I should do regarding my gyno (I am seeing a consultant about removing it soon). However, I would like to get on finasteride, but will it make my gyno worse or come back after surgery (which is gonna cost me)? Such a tough call!