Cant tell if my crown is thnning

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically I have a receding hairline. Im not interested in any sort of transplant or medication. I basically shaved my head today with a grade 5 which is nice and short. Anyway I though it was just my hairline that was receding but i took but pics of my crown today and it really looks thin! I asked my sister as she is a hair dresser and she told me I was being way to paranoid and said one my hairline was just mature like a lot of mens do and it looks fine and two she said the way I was taking the pic of my crown is the reason it looks so thin. Anyway i took it with a decent camera and bright flash. Also took a pic without the flash. I'm just looking for other opinions. If I am thinning on the crown Im going to go right down and shave it to grade one! I could not be bothered trying to style my hair anymore and trying to hide my high hairline. I also have very fine hair always have had. Here are the pics anyway:

Ok these are with a bright flash
20121029_204614.jpg

20121029_210329.jpg

20121029_205814.jpg

Without the flash
20121029_205840.jpg

Hairline with hair
hair2.png

hair1.png

20121029_085720.jpg

20121029_085715.jpg

20121029_085706.jpg

The shaved look
hair3.png

i will add I have very bad dandruff which I use nizoral for only the 1% though.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
hmmm looks suspicious

id go to a dermatologist and ask for a hairdx test to test for density

also take monthly pictures

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
hmmm looks suspicious

id go to a dermatologist and ask for a hairdx test to test for density

also take monthly pictures

If im honest i dont think i will take that route. If im not standing under direct sunlight or a bright flash you cannot see Any of what you can in the Pics. I used a mirror to check and its just dark all over. Im just wondering If its early signs you can see with the flash. Tempted to buzz cut now tbh. Also what do you make of my hairline??

Thanks

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
i can't tell if your crown in thinning because there isn't anything to compare with. but to me, you have hair miniaturization in the top picture (using your left and right arch). i think your hairline is 99% mature hair line and probably same with the crown.

9Dq4k.jpg

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
So do you think it will carry on receding at a slow rate now? Or will it go at a faster rate. I didn't know you could have a mature crown tbh. I do know my dandruff which has a long complicated name is playing havoc with my scalp. I'm itching till I bleed. I dunno if I should grow it long again now or just stick to a buzz cut. Dad, granddad s on b**ch side and uncle are all bald. Yet my mums mum my nan her brother are all fully haired at 60 and so was her dad and grandad. I personally think im receding though and i think the mature hairline just means at a slower rate. But then you guys really know your stuff!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Both***

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
i didn't mean that your crown was mature sorry. i meant that your hair line is a mature hair line and it looks to be thinning (receding).
i am guessing your crown has slight thinning does as well; but it is impossible to tell with your crown without something to compare it with.
i don't how fast hair loss will happen you or on anyone.

the moment i went through puberty i went to a mature hair line (at 13) and it didn't start noticeably receding until i was 21. it might be next year that u experience noticeable hair loss or in 10 years or never.

btw, u could easily grow it long again.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Ah my hair has always been strange I guess. I do miss my nw1. I've only recently lost it in the last 2 Years. Im 26 now so i guess my mature hair line has finally kicked in. Its funny that you mention those small hairs. I had 2 on my right side randomly start to grow about 1/4 inch from my corner of my hairline. I plucked then out as it looked weird. So i had two brand new hairs grow randomly for no reason. At least join the bloody hairline lol. also iv noticed im starting to grow new hair on my chest and stomach and beard is getting much thicker and less patchy. This could be an increase in dht which might explain the hairloss. Complicated stuff i guess.!

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
this is weird man, why are you gonna ask for advice than the reject the advice i give you?

i think the crown is looking suspicious definitely and i wud recommend getting a hairdx test. but im 50/50 on it, whether you are losing it and the test is just as a "better safe than sorry" kind of thing

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
can I get it on through nhs? if I go to my Doctor and say I think I'm thinning I have a feeling my Doctor won't do anything about it.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
can I get it on through nhs? if I go to my Doctor and say I think I'm thinning I have a feeling my Doctor won't do anything about it.
well idk anything about the uk health care system since i live in the us, but my insurance pays for it. just ask the doctor about it, better than not asking at all, he prolly will just refer you to a dermatologist

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i can't tell if your crown in thinning because there isn't anything to compare with. but to me, you have hair miniaturization in the top picture (using your left and right arch). i think your hairline is 99% mature hair line and probably same with the crown.

9Dq4k.jpg

His hair looks very similar to mine, including the 'swirl' on the crown. I probably have less density on the scalp though. It looks like recession to me when he has his hair spiked up.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
If Im honest its actually really bothering me. Im trying to ignore it but jesus it getting me down. I dont understand why. Its all thats on my mind atm. I dont want to loose my hair its part of me. I have always had good hairstyles and people always comment on them how good they looked. The past year I have not been able to do them as my hair line changed! I might be able to deal with the hairlone but the fact it looks like it is thinning on top is a sure sign im going to start loosing it now at a quick rate. I dont like having no hair. I know I sound like im moaning buT I dunno I just never wanted to loose my hair!

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
if your hair loss continues, your gonna feel a lot worse.

When you see a bald or balding guy that looks happy and has everything sorted in life; don't be naive and believe that hair loss doesn't bother them. I've asked lots of guys, including guys in long term relationships with attractive females, about how they cope with hair loss and all of them get really down about it sometimes.
Hair loss is very demoralising to everyone.

i highly recommend Propecia (finasteride) to you.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
I will get hold of some Propecia ant. thanks for the advice!

here's two pics of me 5 years ago. I have defo had receding with my hair line. the pic I have longer hair than I do now but still it's very obvious. it could be a mature hairline as going through my pics the shape i have now has slowly been taking place. the second picture is of the back of my hair from 5 years ago. im nit so sure about the thinnig to crown area now as you can see it looks quite thin in this pic with little lighting. ignore the silly haircut lol

2012-10-30143849.png

2012-10-30144044.png

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
dude, i know how you feel, we've been there, its the whole point of this site

see a dermatologist to make sure, if you reallly are thinning then you can get on propecia and/or rogaine now and pretty much maintain for at least 10 years, maintaining is a lot easier than regrowing

also just doing what you can about it gives you peace of mind to a point

look man just do what im saying (which im pretty sure you will be able to do with your health care system) and dont worry for now since you are doing what you can. not to mention its invisible atm and im not EVEN sure you really are losing it

the dermatologist can do the density test and make sure

good luck

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah doctors really dont take hair loss very seriously your better off at a derm that deals with hair loss regularly. I think the terms mature hairline or whatever are just throw away garbage there is no such thing is. Its all hair loss, balding or whatever you want to call it.
If you see lots of miniaturized hairs where you used to have normal hairs then you have lost hair and I cant imagine a case where it just magically stops. If it does magically stop at Norwood 2 or something its impossible to ever predict that and that hair you lost is impossible to ever regrow so I dont know I guess treat it or dont. See a professional though first.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness.

sorry to be blunt - but i think a reality kick woulda saved a lotta people on here (myself included... although i probably woulda been too long to sensibly start treatments any earlier) a couple years of loss. your hair still looks great but if you don't jump on i'd say at least finasteride and min soon you'll let two, three years slide by and then it'll be working your way back from 'not so good' rather than maintaining 'really good'.

there's signs of thinning and signs of recession but if you maintained that, which you easily could for quite some time, even see some regrowth, with finasteride, you'll have great hair compared to people your age in 5 years time.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I went to the docs today. I spoke to him about my hair etc. He actually took a good look at my whole head. Crown Or vortex as he called it , hairline Etc. He told me my hair is naturally very fine but said i have a lot of it. He said he does not think im going thin at all on top. He did say my hairline had receded but he said it does happen to a lot of men and they never go bald. He told me i have a inflammed scalp And suffer from bad dandruff so hes sending me to a dermo. I personally dont believe him as bad as that sounds. Be interesting to see what the dermo says. He told me to go home take a pic of my side of my head with head tilted and high flash like the other. He said i have a large swirl. I dunno i just wanna see the dermo now :-( anyway heres the pic.

20121101_174358.jpg

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
temples receiding... you can see them starting to angle inward... crown thinning... early Androgenetic Alopecia... whats the status of your maternal grandfather's hair? how about your father, and brothers?

your hair still looks very good though. i wished i started when my hair still had a good quality texture like yours has.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys. thought I would update you after seeing my dermatologist. anyway I told him how I thought I was going through male pattern baldness. he the proceeded to check my hair. he told me that he thought i did not have male pattern baldness. he said many many men go through some form of hairloss as they age and it is very rare for men to keep their juvenile hair. he told me my hair is very fine but i have a lot of it and that is why it appears like im thin in photos. he bloody pulled on my hair in places to which hurt but none came out. he said i will naturally loose hair as i age but not at an aggressive rate.

the bad news is he said i suffer from eczema on my scalp and there is scaring from where i have scratched so much.

one point he made was the fact i was comparing my hairline from 5 years ago but 5 years ago i was 5 stone lighter so basically my hair line changed and spread out with the shape of my face. i didnt believe this but then after lookin at some of the biggest loser contestants i had to agree.

he warned me to be wary of websites like this and also to not allow it to become an obsession as some men really are going through it. apologies for wasting your time guys.