Can't take finasteride - Should I still get FUE?

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about a Norwood IV. 46 years old. Probably need 3500 grafts.

Been kinda maintaining OK with minoxidil, microneedling and RU. Still losing slowly over time.
My big concern is that I think microneedling helps the most, but I heard you can't do that after hair transplant.

Am I screwed without taking finasteride? My hope is that an hair transplant itself is sort of like a long microneedling session that draws growth fators to the scalp. Perhaps I'm just coping though.

hopeful24

Reaction score
I'm about a Norwood IV. 46 years old. Probably need 3500 grafts.

Been kinda maintaining OK with minoxidil, microneedling and RU. Still losing slowly over time.
My big concern is that I think microneedling helps the most, but I heard you can't do that after hair transplant.

Am I screwed without taking finasteride? My hope is that an hair transplant itself is sort of like a long microneedling session that draws growth fators to the scalp. Perhaps I'm just coping though.
I've asked numerous times about this but haven't gotten a clear answer. Where did you hear this? I've heard the opposite where it's ok to start to do so 18 months after a transplant...

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate at all to get an FUE at 40+ as a NW4 with a good donor area, even without finasteride. You're not likely to go to NW6+ ever, and even if you do, you will probably have some grafts left to fill it all in to a respectable level.

The general consensus that you need finasteride is because it's people in their 20s/30s who are getting 7k+ graft transplants that are likely to be taken from non-safe donor zones.