Canada - A Hair re-growers frustration!

agent00

Established Member
Reaction score
I love Canada and being a citizen of this great country, especially considering what is going on to our neighbors to the south and in Europe.

I just wish it were easier to keep your hair in this country without so much bureaucracy. Some of the things I have to do with to keep/regrow my hair:

-It is impossible to get finasteride/dutasteride off the internet in Canada. Nobody ships here anymore. I have to ship to a friend in the US THEN have him ship it up. Huge pain in the *** and I hate asking my friend to do this. Even sites that say Canadian Online Pharmacy (I know this is just a front) don't ship here!!

-Rogaine 5% (aka extra strength) is only available by prescription. Regular strength (2%) is available at an absurd cost I refuse to pay it. I have to have my dad (who is bald and had a bad hair transplant in the 80s) who travels to the US, pick me up extra strength. Ordering it off the internet usually results in double the cost for shipping/taxes.

-Progaine is unavailable anywhere, which sucks. Again, I have to stock up state side.

-Toppik, DermMatch, Fullmore and other concealers are nowhere to be found retail. I heard it was because of some BS reason (aluminum in the fibres). I have to order my concealers online. At least this is a Canadian website so I don't have to pay duty but it's all the way in BC and I'm in Toronto. It also sucks because I have to wait 5 days for it to arrive.

Like I said, I love my country but all of this makes me wanna :puke:

Any other fellow Canadians have similar stories?

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel u man, but canadas health care system is probably the best in the world. for anything other than obviously hairloss.

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
anxious1 said:
i feel u man, but canadas health care system is probably the best in the world.

That's very arguable. I tend to disagree with you on this and I am Canadian (born and raised). But, i digress..

agent00, i get my minoxidil off the net. i'm definitely not paying double the cost... Where are you buying your rogaine? what website(s)?

Naltima

Established Member
Reaction score
How far away are you from the border? Most large Canadian cities are no more than 3 hours away from the U.S. border. Maybe it's worth it to take a drive one day and get like one year worth of minoxidil or ask your dad to do it. Not sure about the finasteride problem though.

VWdude

Reaction score
Canada has a good reputation for health care among other things. They have stricter laws but that's only a small price to pay to live in this great country.

My suggestion to you is trying to get a presrciption for 5MG finasteride. Therefor you can go to your local shoppers drugmart and cut it into fourths. I didn't want to go through the hassle so I found a doctor that prescribed me proscar. Recently, I've obtained a prescription for dutasteride as well.

I've also successfully ordered other products such as toppik, rogaine foam and folligen from Ebay.

You definitely haven't exhausted all of your options.

Proud Torontonian (the leafs suck, I know).

agent00

Established Member
Reaction score
VWdude said:
Canada has a good reputation for health care among other things. They have stricter laws but that's only a small price to pay to live in this great country.

My suggestion to you is trying to get a prescription for 5MG finasteride. Therefor you can go to your local shoppers drugmart and cut it into fourths. I didn't want to go through the hassle so I found a doctor that prescribed me proscar. Recently, I've obtained a prescription for dutasteride as well.

I've also successfully ordered other products such as toppik, rogaine foam and folligen from Ebay.

You definitely haven't exhausted all of your options.

Proud Torontonian (the leafs suck, I know).

I thought about going the prescription route, but it seems like such a hassle. I was told from my GP that I would need a referral to a dermatologist. It takes weeks to see my GP then MONTHS for a dermatologist, I don't want to wait that long. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for your dutasteride/proscar prescriptions?

Where do you get your toppik from on ebay? Fabove.ca is a pretty decent service. You pay more but it's top notch costumer service. I just would rather purchase in store, so much easier.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Yo!

Ebay.ca for your minoxidil needs.. I buy mine from http://minoxidilmax.com/products.shtml fast dry Minoxidil.... really good!
http://www.generic4all.com for your finasteride/dutasteride need. Yeah, they ship to Canada and it is LEGIT. no prescription.. bypass the bullshit.
Fabove.ca for everything else.

I drink Heineken BTW! ! :pint:

squee!

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada and usually get my Rogaine off of Amazon.com. Prices are not excessive.

As for your prescription, it seems to depend on the individual doctor. Specifically mine knew nothing about finasteride, looked it up in his medical book, then promptly wrote me a prescription. It took about 5 minutes.

Now based on my own issues post propecia use I would have enjoyed some hassle as a deterrent, but in your case I'd merely shop around. I live in a small area and we have 7-8 Gps.

i feel u man, but canadas health care system is probably the best in the world. for anything other than obviously hairloss.
No.