Can zinc be BAD for the hair??

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
This might sound a little mad but I've never been known to shed on any treatment, except for two... Revita made me shed like crazy (which continued up until the 6 month mark where I gave up on it) and I've recently started to shed again pretty bad... the only new treatment I've started recently (been on the big 3 for 3 years) is the L'Oreal Vitamin supplement, Kerastase Densitive.... so bad in fact that one month in I'm quitting it. The common denominator in both is Zinc.

Is it possible Zinc could be having this negative effect on my hair?

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
everything ive ever read pionts to Zinc being benifical to hair... never read a negative thing about it...

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
Zinc Pyrithione from Shampoo is different from Zinc you may find in food or take as a supplement.

Zinc Pyrithione is used to fight dandruffs so it might not be that good to use it too often(cuz quiet aggressive for your scalp).

kre62

Reaction score
I want to chime in and say that I also had a shed on Revita and stopped it. I just started taking zinc tablets cause I read they would be good, and now I am shedding as well. Makes me wonder if I should stick it out. Im also on 1mg finasteride every other day and folligen 4x a week.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it was Bryan who told me Zinc can have a negative effect

Bry, any thoughts on this?

Screamin J

Reaction score
Do some research and you'll find that too much zinc can produce higher levels of testosterone. The key is balancing it. You should be taking 10-20 mgs of zinc a day allegedly.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
Screamin J said:
Do some research and you'll find that too much zinc can produce higher levels of testosterone. The key is balancing it. You should be taking 10-20 mgs of zinc a day allegedly.

Agree with you, too little/too much zinc can cause hair loss. About zinc topically i've read that the zinc in H&S have negative effect.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how you guys can tell that things like revita and zinc can cause sheds. For me sheds are long periods where the hair gradually falls out more often. If I started a new shampoo or supplement tommorow and I saw a more hairs in the shower I'd put it down to the placebo effect or natural male pattern baldness.

Zinc won't cause sheds unless you are taking well over the RDA. I think its 15mg in the US , but I think anywhere under 40mg suits me. A f%$kload of zinc comes out in your semen , so if you have sex/masturbate often then taking a zinc supplement should help. When I was on finasteride I took zinc supplements to combat decreased ejaculate and it worked , think it might have even made me hornier. Sweeeeeet.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Aye it will make you hornier. I'm sure zinc can be found in some topical hairloss products. super zix, revivogen maybe...

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Stay the hell away from HS or zinc pyrithione.

can you be more specific? why? zinc pyrithione is the only thing that works on my seb derm. I use a Neutrogena 1%. Nizoral does nothing, and dries my hair out.

thanks.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the studies on Nizoral they compared it to a zinc pyrithione shampoo & discovered that the zinc shampoo actually reduced the hair shaft diameter while nizoral increased it.

In your case though the benefit of having a healthy scalp from controlling the seb derm may outweigh the detrimental effect.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe for you it works good...on my case it completely dried out my scalp, actually to the point of flaking dead skin patches of 2cm diameter on my crown. The studies didnt flatter zync pyrithione either, thats why I said what I said. Maybe for you its better.