Can you use tape to attach a skin system?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Up until now I've used all Swiss lace hair systems, but I'm considering trying a skin system out of curiosity. I was wondering if it's possible to attach skin systems with tape? I'm not sure I want to use glue on all my scalp to be honest. I've heard that Sunshine Tape can be used on skin systems, but not sure? https://sunshinetape.com/

Last edited:

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Why don't you want to use glue?, given you can get water based glues and no-one knows the harms tapes could be doing.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you want to use glue?, given you can get water based glues and no-one knows the harms tapes could be doing.

I've never used glue for the entire scalp attachment, only for the hairline, so I feel a bit uneasy about it. I'm not sure it'd provide as good or long a hold as tape - I currently get about 3 weeks hold time with Supertape with Swiss lace.

However, you mention water based glues, what do you suggest? Can I get a strong 2 to 3 week hold with them on a skin system? Do they contain alcohol, chemicals etc?

Also, if I use glue, can I put it around the perimeter only like I do with tape, or does it need to cover the entire base area of the system?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I use ghostbond.

There has been lots of discussions about safety of glues/tapes on the forum.

I only have a hairline piece so others may be able to answer your other question.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never used glue for the entire scalp attachment, only for the hairline, so I feel a bit uneasy about it. I'm not sure it'd provide as good or long a hold as tape - I currently get about 3 weeks hold time with Supertape with Swiss lace.

However, you mention water based glues, what do you suggest? Can I get a strong 2 to 3 week hold with them on a skin system? Do they contain alcohol, chemicals etc?

Also, if I use glue, can I put it around the perimeter only like I do with tape, or does it need to cover the entire base area of the system?
Man, I wish I could get a 3 week hold. 1 and a 1/2 weeks tops here. I reattach weekly since my skin is so oily.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, Curtis from Hair Experience says you CAN use tape on a thin skin system, check out his videos about it!

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course you can tape your thin skin unit.
Of course it´s no problem for Curtis
BECAUSE
he doesn´t mind if his base got broken. Just uses another unit..
I once used tape, which was no good for different circumstances, and afterwards I had a broken unit.
If someone wants to know why let me know. It is hard to tell , i would go for google translate

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course you can tape your thin skin unit.
Of course it´s no problem for Curtis
BECAUSE
he doesn´t mind if his base got broken. Just uses another unit..
I once used tape, which was no good for different circumstances, and afterwards I had a broken unit.
If someone wants to know why let me know. It is hard to tell , i would go for google translate

He doesn't break the thin skin unit in that video when using tape. He explains how to clean the tape off the thin skin without breaking the unit.

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, I wish I could get a 3 week hold. 1 and a 1/2 weeks tops here. I reattach weekly since my skin is so oily.

I attach daily using Ultrahold tape on a French or Swiss lace system. After a couple of days the tape it begins to lose its tack so I apply MityTite (daily formula) to the tape, which makes it tacky again. I can usually do this for a few weeks, taking it off every night to wash my head and sleep, before i have to replace the tape. I like to minimize replacing the tape because each time its removed it pulls out a little bit of hair. I have been able to get good longevity out of my systems with this method.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He doesn't break the thin skin unit in that video when using tape. He explains how to clean the tape off the thin skin without breaking the unit.
Of course you can go with tapes. IF you use a thin skin unit and throw it away after 2-3 months it´s not a problem. Honestly the manufacturer tells you to use them only a few weeks.
If you just bond the perimeter with tapes, you´ll have the weak spot in the middle of the unit because with every brush you will stretch the system a bit.