Can you tell me your opinion?

Alex_

Reaction score
I always had a straight hairline (I hope it is only that) and lately I realised that I need to be sure, so I started doing some research. I also signed up here.

I am sure I won't be able to give enough information, because I don't know what else to tell beside that I think I will go bald due to genetics because my father is bald, my mother had a problem too and my brother (around 30) has lost some of his hair. If you think I can provide you with more info, please tell me.

I am 20 years old by the way and I have a high level of testosterone I think as I have excessive hair growth on chest and arms. Here's a picture I took:

webcam-toy-photo28.jpg

I know the quality is bad, but I will try to take some more with my phone when I can.

Now, I just wish you can tell me if that's normal or not.

I had this type of hairline when I was very young, so my hypothesis is that my head growing up created this structure. I am not sure though. I would like to hear your opinions.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Alex.
For starters your temples concern me a lot. Earlier pics (baseline)might be helpful.
Plus more recent pics that have clearer resolution is a good idea if possible.
It's possible your Androgenetic Alopecia "kicked in" years before you realized and
you mistakenly wrote it off as your naturally high forehead (like I did).
Take care and avoid panicking at all cost. -)
and start monitoring your hair fall count more closely

Alex_

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Alex.
For starters your temples concern me a lot. Earlier pics (baseline)might be helpful.
Plus more recent pics that have clearer resolution is a good idea if possible.
It's possible your Androgenetic Alopecia "kicked in" years before you realized and
you mistakenly wrote it off as your naturally high forehead (like I did).
Take care and avoid panicking at all cost. -)
and start monitoring your hair fall count more closely
I knew I had a hair loss problem. :(

My grandfather had always had this hairline like me and he didn't lose his hair until he was 60 years old. He is now around 80 and he still has a lot of hair for his age. I the same thing will happen to me. I cannot hope for more.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Your grandfather was indeed rather fortunate and it's possible your long term hair experience could parallel his own.
That's fine if are willing to take that risk. My initial Androgenetic Alopecia was super aggressive and I progressed to a NW3 in @ 1.5 years,
so I think you can imagine the general shock/ trauma it caused me and why I am now more than ever
a strong proponent of early treatment.

Considering your younger age I would suggest minoxidil. + nizoral shampoo at minimum once Androgenetic Alopecia has been confirmed.
Unfortunately this medical protocol will be a life long requisite. In respect to your age and your implied slow/less aggressive
hair loss state, you may do ok w/o adding finasteride (propecia) to your regimen?

Time will tell, but typically for hair loss sufferers who refrain early treatment,
time is not our friend.
Good Luck Alex

Alex_

Reaction score
I may need to get in contact with a dermatologist then. Anyway, thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

But if it's genetic, no remedies will help me, right? :/

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, genetic/hormonal male pattern baldness is remedied by finasteride and minoxidil in most cases.

Fermat

Reaction score
You look NW3 to me (same as me). Minoxidil + Nizoral will only mask the problem for a few years - they do very little to prevent damage of hair follicles and further loss. I wish it had been finasteride I started 5 years ago instead of minoxidil... But all the scare mongerers stopped me. Get on some *real* treatment and get yourself on finasteride... finasteride/dutasteride are the only realistic (and proven) way to prevent further loss. Other treatments may thicken your hair or regrow some like minoxidil and supplements/good diet, but they will not prevent loss.

But if it's genetic, no remedies will help me, right? :/

I'm an identical twin - my twin brother didn't bother with finasteride until 1.5 years after me and is NW4 with really bad diffuse thinning. I'm NW2.5 - NW3, although his was always slightly worse than mine, I'd still say finasteride has saved me by a whole 1 Norwood by starting it only 1.5 years earlier than he did. I've been on finasteride for 2 years now and my hair is thicker and healthier looking than before I started, so I think remedies can definitely help!

Alex_

Reaction score
Thanks guys for informing me.

I read that Finasteride has some pretty bad side effects regarding a man's sexuality. Is it true?

Fermat

Reaction score
Thanks guys for informing me.

I read that Finasteride has some pretty bad side effects regarding a man's sexuality. Is it true?

This is what scared me into not taking it for years. Only a small percentage of men get them. The UK NHS website says under 1%. Keep in mind millions of men take this drug world wide, so 1% is still a large number - and that minority seem to be VERY vocal about it. In 2 years I have had no side effects whatsoever. If you get side effects, then stop taking it. Simple as that. Permanent side effects are extremely rare (and very little evidence for it). So you have nothing to lose by trying it. Don't read forum posts about it - read about the facts and figures. Read up on controlled clinical trials... This is what gave me the confidence to start taking it.

Alex_

Reaction score
I see. I am not sure if it's worth the risk. Something more I wanted to note is that my hairline has been like that since I was 12 years old. I mean, that's when I noticed that for the first time at least. I haven't noticed any shedding in large amounts and I don't even comb my hair.

Does the fact that I haven't noticed any difference all these years make any change?

- - - Updated - - -

I took a better picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 247

Ross1984

Reaction score
Hi Alex, I'm afraid that is definitely male pattern baldness. I was similar to you. I convinced myself that I had always had a big forehead, that my hair had been like this since I was a kid, etc. etc. It took other people to point out my situation for me to realise I had been kidding myself. Got on finasteride + minoxidil 3 months ago and it was a great decision. My hair has improved a lot already - I just wish I'd started sooner.

The advice from others above is good advice. Get yourself on finasteride to have any real hope of long term maintenance, otherwise the only way is down. The speed at which your MPG progresses will differ depending on your genetics, but I can guarantee you it will only get worse, not better, if you don't do anything about it. The combination of finasteride+min has worked really well for me and given me regrowth, so I'd advise doing both. However, if you were to pick just one, go for finasteride.

Side effects are a small risk, but there is a 99% chance that you'll be back on this forum in 3 months time telling somebody else to "just go for it" and that you wished you had started sooner. If you're in that unlucky 1%, then just stop taking the drug.

feuillea4

Reaction score
In my opinion you should go for Mino+Fina as soon as possible. You'll probably get some nice results.