Can You mix two different Finasteride Prescriptions?

AURORA

Reaction score
Ok i have a very random question and i apologize in advance for the long set up to the question.

i have been taking propecia for maybe 10 years and i felt great about it, it has done wonders. My last visit to the pharmacist i was given Dr Reddy's finasteride. I didn't notice until i got home so i decided what the hell, its cheaper and supposed to be the same so i decided to give it a try. Over the last three months I feel like my hair is getting thinner for the first time since i started treatment.

The dilemma is i get my prescriptions a year in advance so i have nine months left of dr reddys'. I am considering renewing my refill early and getting back to name brand propecia.

My question is if i take say propecia for two days and then Dr Reddy one day can there be any harm from mixing the two drugs? I dont want to let a nine month supply of dr reddy go bad. I missed my propecia dose every now and then and it was always still working great. So since they still both have the same active ingredient i figure the dr reddys works at least a little. It really sucks that i didnt check before i left the pharmacist but i will spare no expense on my hair and if i have to let the dr dreddys go to waste then so be it. What do you think? Any issues mixing the two?

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
I think so as long as the active ingredient is finasteride… I just went from generic for three months, to brand name Propecia and I see so no difference- no sides, change in amount of hair loss, nada

AURORA

Reaction score
I have been on it for so long i am just wondering if the propecia would have even stopped being less effective at this point and maybe it has nothing to do with changing over. It is so confusing trying to figure out how to combat it. I am thinking of adding rogaine to my regimen. I see many people do it on here. Seems to be pretty successful.

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Go for it! If you aren't already using it, I'd recommend nizoral 2% as well. It's really helped in the reduction of my hair fall