Can you have success with JUST minoxidil or do you need finasteride?

Super C

Reaction score
Ok, been on 5% Kirkland for about 6 weeks now, laser treatment 2x a week, msm daily and nizoral 2x a week. My question is, will I still see relusts sticking to this or should I start usning some fort of finasteride? I'd really rather not resort to that (I think my regime is complex enough) and would like to avoid pills if possible. I Might still consider it, but want to get some opinions. Also, how long is sticking to minoxidil effective? I've read on posts here that it just lengthens the life of the hair. I know I'll eventually be bald, but just am curious as to what time frame I would have if it did work. Thanks!

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I'd drop the laser treatments and speak to your doctor about beginning finasteride. Laser "therapy" isn't proven to do much cosmetically. I'm sure it's rather expensive to boot.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people respond especially well to Minoxidil, but you'll have to give it at least a few months before you notice. Most people notice reduction in shedding before they notice any regrowth.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I would get on Propecia only because it seems to work most of the time. It seems from reading on this forum that just topical treatments alone don't work as well.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think the general thing is, that minoxidil and finasteride together is a good combination to try. this forum made me get on the two just over 3 weeks ago.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Primex said:
I would get on Propecia only because it seems to work most of the time. It seems from reading on this forum that just topical treatments alone don't work as well.

It depends on which topical treatments you're referring to, of course. In the famous stumptailed macaque experiments, topical RU58841 was more effective than even HUGE doses of oral finasteride (1 mg/kg/day, which, if it were converted into MY weight, would be the same as if I took 100 mg/day of finasteride).

Topical minoxidil will never be able to compete effectively with Propecia not because one is topical and the other is internal, but because minoxidil doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process like finasteride does.

Bryan

Super C

Reaction score
So...

I should take both? :?

Actually, I HAVE noticed a difference in the laser therapy. My hairs seems thcker (at least what's left) though not too much has grown back.

Like I said, if taking both is my best shot, I'll break down and do it. I just want to be sure. I already take multivitamins/metabolica enhancers as it is. An extra pill won't be that much more. Just trying to see if peple have gotten result with just my regime. Thanks guys!

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
can u post some pics?