Can you get minoxidil without alcohol?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it's the alcohol in minoxidil that's making my head so itchy, as it dries. Can you get minoxidil without alcohol, or is that part of how it works? Would like to get back on it, but without scratching my head raw!

Thanks guys!

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
u using foam or liquid? i thot propylene glycol is what caused the itchiness usually, altho i dont see why people cudnt get itchy from alcohol since it dries skin out

pulse therapy is what doctors use, every 3 or 4 days i put 1% hydrocortisone cream on itchy parts, after a while its like my skin got a resistance to it, feels good. especially when it has healing moisturizers.

i also use natural shampoo AND conditioner, make sure both are natural tho so its easy on the scalp.

also dont scratch, just rub it with your fingers or softly with cloth (after its dry of course)

but yea sometimes i can smell the minoxidil as i put it on haha, straight up vodka smell, very obvious its alcohol lol :p

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh right! I'm using liquid, as I didn't think the foam would be suitable, as I have long hair. I'm just going to see what sheds over the next few weeks, and if it's not significant, I'll stay off it. Would nizoral help with the itchiness do you think mate?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely, helps mine a lot, altho conditioner is to return the moisture if i use too much nizoral or other drying shampoos

i know ive had redness and after a good nizoral washing its like half gone

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mate! I have to condition mine as it gets really tangled. Just don't do it as often as I did, as my hair went a funny texture and got greasy. Will have to get some nizoral and alternate it with the volumising shampoo and conditioner I use. Then I can get back on the minoxidil and see how I fare :)

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
isn't foam quite difficult to apply if you have long hair as Chris mentions? also, are you expected to shed a lot when changing from liquid to foam?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also have 2 more 1 month bottles of Kirkland left, as I'd only been using it round the hairline and temple points, it was lasting quite a long time. Thanks guys :)