Can You Get dutasteride In Pill Form Instead Of Capsules?

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does however take long to build up a reasonable level of duta in your system, its a good idea to jumpstart it by taking 0.5 more frequently the first 1-2 weeks at least or you will be going on a very low and potentially useless dose the first month. At least take 0.5 a day the first 5-7 days.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to switch to dutasteride myself here in a couple weeks. I've been on 2.5-5mg finasteride for almost 8 weeks now. Should I just switch cold turkey or keep also taking 1.25-2.5mg finasteride daily for the first few days after starting dutasteride?

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With that said, the gains seen in the studies will not even be close without the minimum of 0.5mg daily as Dutasteride is dose dependent.
Youre probably right but i believe more studies on lower dose Duta is required, some subjects may respond very well to it. But for now the results seem to improve with every dose increase, it could very well be that most of us need 2x 0.5mg/day.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride has a very long half life so there is no need for it to be cut. For example, if you want 0.1mg daily then take one capsule every 5 days. For 0.05mg daily take one capsule every 10th day and so on.
No, its impossible, i just read thst Duta halflife is very short in low concentration, as little as 3 days.

"Single doses of 5 mg or less showed evidence of rapid clearance and a short half-life of 3 to 9 days."

"At therapeutic concentrations, following repeat dosing of 0.5 mg/day, the slower, linear elimination pathway is dominating and the half-life is approx. 3-5 weeks."
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/11618

So every 3 days is already risky, concentration will be a lot up and down. This info also confirm that its nesessary to start with daily doses to build up the longer halflife.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, its impossible, i just read thst Duta halflife is very short in low concentration, as little as 3 days.

"Single doses of 5 mg or less showed evidence of rapid clearance and a short half-life of 3 to 9 days."

"At therapeutic concentrations, following repeat dosing of 0.5 mg/day, the slower, linear elimination pathway is dominating and the half-life is approx. 3-5 weeks."
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/11618

So every 3 days is already risky, concentration will be a lot up and down. This info also confirm that its nesessary to start with daily doses to build up the longer halflife.

I've been on 0.5 mg dutasteride, Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 4 months. Do you think I should take dutasteride every day for a month then go back to EOD?

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All i see are capsules, is it possible to get it in pill form to cut it up?
Yes, google for a product named "Veltride".

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on 0.5 mg dutasteride, Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 4 months. Do you think I should take dutasteride every day for a month then go back to EOD?
I cant say, i dont know, what Lacey mentioned matters too, Duta is dose dependent, the less you use the less effect. And now this in addition, lower concentration causes lower halflife, then lower halflife in turn causes lower concentration, a spiral pattern appear and you can end up with very low serum in very short time. I can only make decisions for myself and i will continue 0.5 daily knowing this.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just providing the information my endocrinologist provided me at the time I was prescribed it. I'm assuming that Ruby will be taking it daily, which is known to yield the better results. If she was previously on Finasteride she certainly can discontinue and start Dutasteride as her DHT levels are low at the start.
That was your reply to kiwiboy, which i endorsed, i didnt know this about short halflife in low concentrations before now. Your advice to Ruby is not affected by this halflife dilemma.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once you're down to 0.1mg territory you may as well just use Finasteride. Unless you don't feel like taking pills everyday lol.
They still have the placebo effect, alternative treatments and placebo and ridiculous supplements has an amazing effect on my sister, can take months before she realises shes not any better but by then she found a new thing to believe in to compensate for the last failure.