Can You Alter The Shape Of The Front Hairline?

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
As it says in the title guys. I had an issue with my last hair system. It was shedding horrendously and at a really rapid rate. I spoke to my salon, and they confirmed that the piece was faulty. In order to solve the problem quickly, they gave me a piece from their stock. The colour match is fine, but I had carefully selected a piece before that had a higher hairline at the temples. I now know this worked and fooled everyone I know, because they are all taken aback by the new piece. No one knows its a system, but I'm being accused of having 'plugs' (this from someone who I went on holiday with for two days with the old system and he didnt suspect a thing).

Anyway, I really cannot be walking around with this Bieber style hairline much longer. Does anyone have any experience of shaping a hairline?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can cut the shape any way you wish; you can also pluck hairs.

The combination of the two I find works best.

Noah

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. You can trim the hairline, provided there is nothing on the underside of the base (e.g. a tape patch or a seam) that you would be cutting into. If it is just plain lace or thinskin it will be fine. BUT a well-made piece will have a bit of graduation at the hairline - i.e. the density doesn't go from zero to 100% at the hairline - there is a strip at the hairline with a lower density, and the density gradually increases up the full chosen density over the first inch or so of the unit. That graduation is important for achieving a natural effect, especially if your hairline is exposed to view. If you cut into the hairline you will to some extent be losing the graduation.

So the bottom line is it is best to cut the hairline to the minimum extent possible. If you just want to raise the level of your hairline, it is better to cut the excess off the back of the piece and move the whole system back. If you are planning to make the hairline shape more curved, by cutting more recession into the sides, take as little off as you can. When you have done it, have a look at the result on your head, and if the newly-created hairline has the "wall of hair" look, then you will have to take some hairs out to recreate the graduated effect. How you do that will depend on what base you are wearing.

Noah