Can we get a discussion going of topical (maybe even internal) anti-inflammatories?

Homie

Reaction score
I've never really used these. I have a receding hairline, but have never noticed any inflammation whatsoever. Nevertheless, my hairline continues to recede no matter what I do, so I'd like to add these into my regimen, probably a few days after demarolling.

Two know about:

hydrocortisone
betamethasone

I have ordered both of these to implement.

Other thoughts on possible anti-inflammatories?

Thanks!

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never really used these. I have a receding hairline, but have never noticed any inflammation whatsoever. Nevertheless, my hairline continues to recede no matter what I do, so I'd like to add these into my regimen, probably a few days after demarolling.

Two know about:

hydrocortisone
betamethasone

I have ordered both of these to implement.

Other thoughts on possible anti-inflammatories?

Thanks!

read thru the dermarolling thread queegee just posted a study on hydrocortisone

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score
Many doctors say that, although it works, hydrocortisone cream is not worth the risk... which risk.... I don't know...

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read so many damn studies, I cant remember for sure if its hydrocortisone or retin-a that thins the skin but I am reasonably sure its hydrocort

K

karankaran

Retin - A thickens the skin over time and is used as an anti-wrinkle agent! it is often used with agents which thin the skin to counteract their effects. Regarding the hydro-cortisone, there is always a huge risk associated with prolonged use of creams like that and it is scientifically established.

BTW , i do think we need a thread on anti-inflammatory agents! and this is a good start!

"Whenever possible, the lowest effective doses of hydrocortisone should be used for the shortest possible length of time to minimize side effects"

mungyana

Reaction score
I'm taking mangosteen as internal cox inhibitor. 2 gram a day. I'm thinking to add fish oil too, but that may come later.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_oil

[Anti-inflammatory activity and healing-promoting effects of topical application of emu oil on wound in scalded rats].

[Article in Chinese]
Qiu XW, Wang JH, Fang XW, Gong ZY, Li ZQ, Yi ZH.
Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the effects of topical application of emu oil on wound healing in scalded rats.
METHODS:

In 144 male Wistar rats with 10%; total body surface superficial II degree scald treated on a random basis with physiological saline, povidone iodine and emu oil, respectively, the changes of the wound were observed and the wound tissue and blood samples harvested at different times after injury for evaluation of histopathological changes, total tissue water content (measured by wet:dry weight ratios), and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha levels in the wound tissue and plasma by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The general condition of the wound healing was also observed.
RESULTS:

After application of emu oil, the swelling and effusion of the burn wound were alleviated and evidences of wound infection or adverse effects were not observed. Pathological examination showed that emu oil could alleviate topical inflammation, which was particularly obvious on days 1 and 3 after injury as compared with the other two groups. On day 3 after injury, water content and TNF-alpha level in the tissues was markedly decreased with the application of emu oil (P<0.05), with a significant correlation between their changes (P<0.001) and shortened wound healing time (P<0.05). Pathological examination showed that emu oil could promote epithelialization and differentiation of various epidermal layers.

CONCLUSION:

Emu oil has topical anti-inflammatory activity in rats with superficial II degree scald, possibly in association with decreased levels of the proinflammatory cytokines in the tissues and can promote wound healing by inhibiting local secondary inflammation.

mungyana

Reaction score
Question, Squeegee. Hope you don't mind to answer. Is anti-inflammatory agent and rolling a good combo, or they work on different route which means I should take one of the two routes? 2young2retire says that it may cancel the purpose of rolling. That's quite dilemmatic for me.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Question, Squeegee. Hope you don't mind to answer. Is anti-inflammatory agent and rolling a good combo, or they work on different route which means I should take one of the two routes? 2young2retire says that it may cancel the purpose of rolling. That's quite dilemmatic for me.

It depends on the anti inflammatory type. Some helps wound healing some don't. Also, timing is really important as well. This is why we created that thread I guess..We would like to add something to our regimen that fight the local chronic inflammation to maximize growth.

- - - Updated - - -

Prescrire Int. 2013 Apr;22(137):94-8.
[h=1]Drugs that delay wound healing.[/h][No authors listed]
[h=3]Abstract[/h]Healing of surgical and traumatic wounds mainly involves the clotting process, inflammation, cell proliferation and tissue remodelling. Healing time depends on the depth of the wound. In order to identify drugs that can slow the healing process, we reviewed comparative clinical trials, epidemiological studies and detailed case reports, using the standard Prescrire methodology. Delayed healing of surgical or traumatic wounds is associated with persistent bleeding, increased wound seepage and, in some cases, failed wound closure. Delayed wound healing can have severe and sometimes life-threatening consequences, including deep-seated infection, prolonged hospitalisation, repeat surgery to join or rejoin the wound edges, and delayed functional recovery of a transplanted organ. Delayed healing may be due to failure of one or several steps in the healing process, caused by metabolic, cardiovascular, infectious, immunological or drug-related disorders. The principal drugs that can slow wound healing are cytotoxic antineoplastic and immunosuppressive agents, corticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and anticoagulants. In practice, when wound healing is delayed, it is best to keep in mind that a drug may be the cause, and to consider withdrawing any drug or drugs known to have this effect, in order to allow the wounds to heal.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Any word about topical melatonin, squeege? I was using it for months, even after starting dermaroller, but I stopped it when I learned it could be counterproductive for our wounding purpose, because of its strong anti-inflammatory effect (which I think is why is somehow useful for Androgenetic Alopecia)...

That's the problem we are facing with micro-needling. Should we do intervals? in the study, they were doing post treatments before the hair transplant. I really don't know for now.. We should try to find something beneficial for both problems.. healing and local micro-chronic inflammation.. I don't know about melatonin.. I know that tocotrienols boost wound healing and help with inflammation.

- - - Updated - - -

So, should we plan a week on anti-inflammatories and a week on rolling???????

- - - Updated - - -

http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolli...n-stage-lasts-after-rolling-with-long-needles

> I post on EDS and some of us are wondering how long the micro-inflammation

> stage lasts after a long needle roll. We know the inflammation is important to

> collagen development so we try to avoid LED's, Emu oil and NSAIDs afterwards.

> We are all wondering how long we need to keep that up. Do you have any idea? > Right now, I'm waiting a week and then using the LED as usual. Some are waiting > a few days and others are avoiding them altogether. I appreciate any insight

> you can offer.

When you (for example) prick your skin you mechanically damage some skin cells. Those cells are too damaged to function properly and our body will immediately start removing those cells.

It is the job of our immune system to remove pathogens, damaged cells etc.

The capillaries will dilate and the whole area will get red from increased blood flow full of white blood cells and other cells that will be very busy, removing the damaged tissue and the growth of new cells will be triggered. Blood proteins will flood the area and that will cause swelling, the skin will get warmer than normal and will be painful.

Inflammation is a sign that wound healing is in progress.

Inflammation is caused by our own immune system. If our immune system didn't "flood" the area and didn't cause inflammation, our wounds would not heal.

When you roll your skin, you induce inflammation (which is an immune protective response in order to fix the injury) but you should not get infection (bacterial or other contamination of the wound).

Acute inflammation ceases when the acute injury is fixed and the damaged cells are removed. It takes a few hours (after dermarolling) and up to a few days (after deep single needling) but of course it depends on how deep and dense your pricks are etc. Basically, when the signs of inflammation (redness, swelling, increased heat, pain) are completely gone then the inflammation process is completed.

It doesn't mean though that you should roll immediately when the inflammation from the previous rolling is gone. For reasons that are very complex, it is undesirable to have a more or less continuous state of inflammation of the skin. It is certainly not beneficial to your skin.

You have to give your skin time to completely regenerate and give your skin time to complete several stages of collagen production (from collagen III to collagen I etc). The tissue remodelling can take months.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
The principal drugs that can slow wound healing are cytotoxic antineoplastic and immunosuppressive agents, corticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and anticoagulants. In practice, when wound healing is delayed, it is best to keep in mind that a drug may be the cause, and to consider withdrawing any drug or drugs known to have this effect, in order to allow the wounds to heal.

So this would suggest that slowing wound healing is not beneficial, so long as the correct type of anti-inflammatory is utilized.

I can't find a list of anti-inflammatories that are not excluded under the categories you mentioned though...

What do you mean by this exactly?
"Should we do intervals? in the study, they were doing post treatments before the hair transplant."

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
So this would suggest that slowing wound healing is not beneficial, so long as the correct type of anti-inflammatory is utilized.

I can't find a list of anti-inflammatories that are not excluded under the categories you mentioned though...

What do you mean by this exactly?
"Should we do intervals? in the study, they were doing post treatments before the hair transplant."

Intervals would be good . Inhibiting Cox levels on a long term contract is not good at all.