Can stress trigger latent male pattern baldness gene(s)

barcafan

Reaction score
I think there might be some correlation.

I am not saying Stress CAUSES male pattern baldness, but i do believe there is a strong link between prolonged stress (As perceived by the individual, would vary from individual to individual depending on how they perceive their stress) which would lead to chronically elevated cortisol levels which can in turn (Directly, or Indirectly) 'trigger' the male pattern baldness gene, or genes. Once the gene is triggered, male pattern baldness continues and taking the stress away / returning cortisol levels back to normal would do sh*t all to stop it.

I know this is probably a GROSS oversimplification of how it goes down, but I think this may be (in part) the cause of my own male pattern baldness.

barcafan

Reaction score
And im willing to bet that quite a few peoples male pattern baldness was at least in part triggered by the bodies response to stress. Not your little 'oh she just turned me down' stress but massive chronic stress that your body cannot cope with for a prolonged period of time. Could be physical or mental. You'd obviously need to have a predisposition to male pattern baldness though, like highly sensitive androgen receptors. Same thing with pretty much every other condition known to man, no wonder they call cortisol the life or death hormone.

People who deny this either didn't do a shred of research thus are ignorant or are just plain retarded.

Thanks for your insightful contribution though, it totally kickstarted this thread into awesomeness

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, as you know androgen mediated conditions like Androgenetic Alopecia are complex and we still don't know very much about them. I think this relation should not be dismissed.

Acne is another condition where Ive observed the possible connection between high levels of stress=cortisol=breakouts.

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Everyone has stress. Who's life is an easy party?

There are different levels of stress... Of course we all have stress, I even get stressed watching football.

The subject is the different kind of stress, the kind that is chronic and lasts for long time. Stress is often described as the biggest killer of our times, and as someone who went through it I know what is and what it can do to a human being.

Most people do not appreciate emotional stress, but emotional stress is real and IMO is as important as physical well being. When the brain is messed up, the hormones are also messed up and the whole body just goes out of order.

The normal everyday stress is actually a good thing, it makes us get off our a*ses and do things. Ie, it's a driving force.

barcafan said:
People who deny this either didn't do a shred of research thus are ignorant or are just plain retarded.

Take it easy, don't get stressed :whistle: !!!

Cassin

Reaction score
patagonia said:
Cassin, as you know androgen mediated conditions like Androgenetic Alopecia are complex and we still don't know very much about them. I think this relation should not be dismissed. .

Who's denying anything? I am simply bring up an aspect to consider.

I have seen enough of these threads where people fail to take the possibility into consideration.

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
patagonia said:
Cassin, as you know androgen mediated conditions like Androgenetic Alopecia are complex and we still don't know very much about them. I think this relation should not be dismissed. .

Who's denying anything? I am simply bring up an aspect to consider.

I have seen enough of these threads where people fail to take the possibility into consideration.

That's like telling an amputee to consider the aspect that the limb in question may not have been so useful after all...

I understand what you are saying and my analogy is sort of stupid, but I somehow doubt you ever suffered extreme emotional stress. For people like me emotional stress is REAL.

Cassin

Reaction score
ali777 said:
I understand what you are saying and my analogy is sort of stupid, but I somehow doubt you ever suffered extreme emotional stress. For people like me emotional stress is REAL.

you would assume wrong....badly.

Don't make personal assumption about people you know nothing about.

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
ali777 said:

There you go then, you've just become another proof that stress can start male pattern baldness :whistle:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Cassin said:
ali777 said:

There you go then, you've just become another proof that stress can start male pattern baldness :whistle:

Most of my thinning (although slight) occured this year when I underwent an insane amount of emotional stress (unrelated to hairloss). Has to be a link.

chain

Reaction score
My male pattern baldness kicked in during my first long and super stressfull international business trip in Kiev in 2006. I started losing great amounts of hair one week from arriving in Ukraine.

p.s. or it could have been triggered by the radiation. Kiev is only 80 km. from Chernobyl :)

slipy

Reaction score
I've always been a stressful person, but my male pattern baldness kicked in after a prolonged period of excessive you know what.

s.a.f

Reaction score
People today have only a tiny fraction of the stress that previous generations would have suffered. What exactly is there to stress about in western society in the 21st century?

barcafan

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
People today have only a tiny fraction of the stress that previous generations would have suffered. What exactly is there to stress about in western society in the 21st century?

I disagree with this

Lifestyles are different these days, think about how much technology has progressed, we humans haven't 'evolved' fast enough to match the hightech lifestyle progression, we're not 'supposed' to be behind screens 8+hours a day. The type of food we eat is sh*t at best, grown with hormones / in nutrient robbed dead soil. Our sleep is sh*t, we're overly medicated and constantly obsessed with our self image, leading to massive amounts of anxiety / depression. Environmental stressors are pretty much the highest they've ever been. I guess the stress of 'war' and not having enough to eat has been replaced with the stress of being antisocial technophiles that dislike what they see in the mirror.

I'm 100% sure chronic stress has a massive impact on every single part of your being. And this isn't opinion.

s.a.f

Reaction score
But where is this thread going?

This is just like the 'is excercise/eating meat - good/bad for your hair?' you're debating something that its impossible to avoid, so whats the point?
Every single human being on the planet will expeirience what you describe as stress,
So in other words if you have the genes for m.p.b its unavoidable. Which gets back to the point that its not the stress that counts its wether or not you have the m.p.b genes.

barcafan

Reaction score
some have (much) more than others, and i believe minimizing it would have a statistically significant impact on the onset of male pattern baldness. I also believe it should slow down the progression male pattern baldness once it's started. Just trying to say that theres other things besides pills and potions that can have an impact on your hair.

ali777

Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Absolute BS!!!

You don't differentiate between emotional and physical stress.

During WWII, the UK experienced its lowest suicide rates, that tells you that despite people being under stress it was different. Compare that to the suicide rates of today's wealthiest nations, ie the Scandinavians. They have extremely high suicide rates, meaning the new generations don't know how to manage their lives.

The previous generation had low expectations, they might have been under much heavier physical stress but the emotional stress they suffered was nothing compared to today's society.

We are constantly on the go, we always do or have to do something. There is also the constant expectation of achieving and being able to afford better things.

In the past life was difficult, people weren't as healthy but they were content. People supported each other. Today most of us live isolated lifestyles and we don't have enough friends, look at the number of loners on this site.