Can Someone Give Me Some Advice On Dermarolling?

CuredMouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to start dermarolling and have a few questions before I begin, hopefully someone who uses one has some insight they're willing to share.

1. What's the evidence behind it?

2. What size dermaroller do I need?

3. How often should I use it?

4. When should I apply minoxidil relative to dermarolling?

5. Which dermaroller should I use? I hear many names thrown around, especially "dermastamp" what's the difference?

6. Has it helped you, and if so what was your hair loss like (diffuse, patterned, both)

Thank you to anyone who can help me make an informed decision

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Easily searched. I'll let those with more knowledge explain.
2. Start with no more than 0.5mm and see how your scalp tolerates it, but bear in mind that anything less than 1.5mm will not be able to promote collagen production. Any less than 1.5mm is likely to only help absorption of topical solutions.
3. With 0.5mm, I can use it everyday with no issues. The study conducted in the literature used it once weekly, which is what I had been doing with 1.5-2mm...recently I found that I can increase frequency a little without any issues.
4. Opinions vary. Some believe you should avoid minoxidil for 24 hours as to avoid it going systemic, while others apply immediately.
5. Dermastamp is literally a stamp with needles at the end of it. While it is more time consuming and slightly more difficult to use, the needles enter your skin directly, as opposed to dermarolling which enters at an angle. Dermastamp in theory should provide more depth with less chance of tearing.
6. Difficult to quantify, as I started the same time as other interventions, but costs are relatively low, and it makes my scalp generally healthier.