Can someone clear the air for me regarding finasteride and dutasteride?

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
I read stories online saying things like "finasteride made my temples worse" the same way I read "Minoxidil made my temples worse". Where does this come from? Scientifically, is there any evidence that finasteride would speifically destroy your hairline? Are these people most likely experiencing a shed and not sticking to the drug long enough to see the results? I am hopping on finasteride MOSTLY because of my temples, and things like this always worry me and cause me to delay starting it.

I have read the same thing about dutasteride- and I have also read dutasteride is better at regrowing temples and hair in general, but can also be much more risky. You can't get dutasteride legally for hairloss though, right?

Sorry if this has been addressed before (it probably has) but I'm getting sick of going back and forth- some people claim finasteride and dutasteride are miracles, others wish they never started them.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
If you want to give yourself the best chance against hairloss than you should try it. Thats all I needed to think about.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read stories online saying things like "finasteride made my temples worse" the same way I read "Minoxidil made my temples worse". Where does this come from?

Indeed, where does it come from? As in, where did you read it?

It depends on the source, people can shed and then give up, as far as I know there should be no reason scientifically that minoxidil or finasteride will cause further permanent hair loss, unless you stop using it. I'm sure there is the odd exception, and maybe they would make the most noise (and who can blame them) but if they exist, it's very low numbers.

christinethoma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. when people aren't consistent in using the prescribed drug, they complain that it doesn't work. Consistency is key, unless you really feel that your hair is coming off.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Indeed, where does it come from? As in, where did you read it?

Other hair forums.

Agreed. when people aren't consistent in using the prescribed drug, they complain that it doesn't work. Consistency is key, unless you really feel that your hair is coming off.

I have no doubt these meds are simply not effective for some men, but I wonder if they do make some shed on their already thin temples without regrowth.