Can Smeone Threaten Me With Defamation Act Based On What I Did, Uk Law

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a mistake with a pitch, and I said I worked with another company.

The “other” company found out that I did that and have proof of an email sent out from my email address where it says I worked with them.

Now the owner of that company is saying to me “He will send a letter to my home address” and he has just told me I should read up on the defamation act 2013.

The email I sent it from is my name @ a url I made a while ago (Which is just an email/website I made up) It’s not a registered company in any way.

Can he legally try and do something against me?

Note: I didn’t. Make any money or ask anyone for money. All I did was I said I worked for his/competitor company.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
no, you didn't say anything bad. If you were hired under the circumstances you had experience with them the new company could fire you for lying. If you repeatedly do this Im honestly not sure what could happen but if you didnt actually "defame" them then there isnt anything to worry about. You could chalk it up to a mistake or confusing the names of companies you "used" to work for.

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I asked someone else who is qualified and they said the same as you.

All I wrote was "I worked with X company and helped them generate X amount of sales in which we went 50/50"

I didn't write or say anything bad about the company or the owner.

But since then the owner has messaged me directly, and has wrote the following to me (Which I feel is real defamation)
- First he finds out my home address and tells me if that is it and he will be sending a letter there
- He suggest I read up on the Defamation Act 2013
- He tells me he will blacklist me to everyone in the industry he knows
- He says he will tell people not work with my company (I don't have a company it's just a website name)

So in fact, isn't that defamation? I havn't replied to him I just said "Yes send it there"