Can seborrheic dermatites cause hairlosss by itself

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bump really wanting to know this to since I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis as well, it causes me to shed a lot of hair along my hairline and elsewhere

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Having Seborrheic Dermatitis doesn't cause hair loss, but it certainly won't help if you do suffer from hair loss. Basically, Seborrheic Dermatitis could potentially worsen Alopecia.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is not a clear answer for this question. However, I do think that SD can cause severe hair loss if left untreated. I know you may be thinking, "why don't people with SD get antifungal treatments like Ketoconazole (Nizoral) to get rid of SD and save their hairs then?!" Sadly, the problem with SD is not the symptom, but the root cause. Why do you have SD in the first place? It's just like acne or eczema. Why do these conditions occur? This is a billion dollar question. All sorts of reasons like genetics, gut health, heavy metal toxicity, adrenal fatigue, diet, and lifestyle are out there, but genetics seems to be the most logical answer so far. I know that is not the answer we want, but we can at least try other "theories" to see if they help with SD or not.

hair_nag

Established Member
Reaction score
There is not a clear answer for this question. However, I do think that SD can cause severe hair loss if left untreated. I know you may be thinking, "why don't people with SD get antifungal treatments like Ketoconazole (Nizoral) to get rid of SD and save their hairs then?!" Sadly, the problem with SD is not the symptom, but the root cause. Why do you have SD in the first place? It's just like acne or eczema. Why do these conditions occur? This is a billion dollar question. All sorts of reasons like genetics, gut health, heavy metal toxicity, adrenal fatigue, diet, and lifestyle are out there, but genetics seems to be the most logical answer so far. I know that is not the answer we want, but we can at least try other "theories" to see if they help with SD or not.
Great post. Yes its pretty frustrating that there isn't a simple answer. My seborrhea dermatitis was triggered 3-4 years ago in a very mild way, It has gotten a bit worse since, but still pretty mild. I didn't even know this is what I had until I saw a dermatologist. I always assumed it was mild acne, but it puzzled me why it persisted. Now that I know what I m dealing with I can try possible solutions.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it can kickstart male pattern baldness and speed it up

this is coming from someone dealing with it for roughly 15 yrs

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
In early years of past century, male pattern baldness was called seborrgeic alopecia.
dr. Saboraud was a good researcher on this issue

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So could the seborrheic dermatitis cause shedding along the hairline if left untreated?

hair_nag

Established Member
Reaction score
Doubt it would be only localized to the hairline, that's probably male pattern baldness, but I guess SD can make it worse?! I m thinking SD can cause hairloss alone though as well, since some women have reported hairloss with SD.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doubt it would be only localized to the hairline, that's probably male pattern baldness, but I guess SD can make it worse?! I m thinking SD can cause hairloss alone though as well, since some women have reported hairloss with SD.

It is interesting...
have you a link to the comment or study?
TIA

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
imo, it can be localized to the hairline. thats been myexperience any way the last 10 yrs. the large yellow flakes always occured about a cm behind the hairline. as the hairline has receded so too has the line of seb derm. however its not always flakey, it seems to flare up, then go away with or without treatment, but its hard to say, because even with treatment the flakes are caught with hair growing thru them, so it takes a while for them to be flushed away.

to me its also unclear the relationship between seb derm and male pattern baldness. since they are both mainly on the hairline, they do seem to be related, however sometimes i think they are both just symtpoms of another problem, which is excess sebaceous glands in the temples. more oil = more fungi feeding off it, and seb derm. also more oil, = more DHT to bind to follicles, do some excercise, youll see u also sweat more from the temples too.

so idk, like i said the relationship is unclear. its frackin frustrating. there may be a relationship, or there may be some people with one or the other and some people with both.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Propecia might help because androgens can have effect on sebaceous gland size right? If your losing hair then trying to lower or stop androgens is the goal regardless of the seb derm. I have it too and it seems to be common on men with male pattern baldness.