Can Propecia cause hyperpigmentation on the skin?

super_paw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been on propecia for 3 month now, but I have stopped because of increased freckles or darkening of them...

I have read somewhere that some hormon pills can cause this thing called hyperpigmentation and wants to hear if any of you have experienced similar problems with propecia.

Don't know if its only in my head, but for me it looks different...

Regards

Pondle

Reaction score
I've never seen any literature on this at all. Hyperpigmentation is generally caused by cumulative sun exposure, especially UVA. Get a good broad spectrum sunscreen - if you are in Europe, Canada or Australia any one of a huge range of high PPD/***** rated products from La Roche Posay, Vichy, Bioderma, Boots Soltan, ROC Minesol, Avene etc etc; if in the US you have a more limited choice between Neutrogena Dry Touch or La Roche Posay Anthelios.

super_paw

Reaction score
By searching the web a bit, I have found some text where it is said that hyperpigmentation is a result of using some hormon pills, but they are all about women birth control pills.
But are Propecia so different from hormon pills used by women, and due to the lack of recearch on propecia it is difficult to find any exampels...

a part of the text I read:
hormonal imbalance
Skin pigmentation is commonly unbalanced by pregnancy, birth control pills or other hormone-influencing factors. In fact, studies indicate that this affects up to 75% of pregnant women. And about 30% of women on birth control pills. This is due to the influence of estrogen, progesterone and melanocyte-stimulating hormone. Often showing up in a condition called the “Mask of pregnancyâ€￾ or melasma which is harmless.

Does Propecia have influence on these; estrogen, progesterone and melanocyte-stimulating hormone?

regards Chris

Pondle

Reaction score
By inhibiting DHT, finasteride alters the testosterone/estrogen ratio. However, the potential effects of this are usually thought of as being breast enlargement and decreased libido, and these are fairly rare (and fatter men are more at risk of them, since they already have elevated estrogen levels). I've never seen anything ever mentioned about finasteride and hyperpigmentation. I think we're dealing in the realms of speculation here.

super_paw

Reaction score
thanks for the reply...

I have found another post here at hairlosstalk, where a similar problem is described.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... t=freckles

It might still only be speculations, and its hard to keep track of all the freckles on your body...

Then I have another question: I have read that you can lower your dose down to as much as 0,25 mg propecia... This might be worth a try for me, but I still know that the sides will not go away for this reason. But the alterration in testosterone and estrogen might be a little less.

Ps: Just want to add that propecia really did help on the hair loss after only 3 months:)

Regards