Can peel off alot of skin on my scalp? Newly started minoxidil

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey

Ive bin using NISIM shampoo and extract for almost a year soon and actually had some resoults with it. Hairs started to grow at my hairline. Used minoxidil 5% liquid for about 1 week now and noticed i had some dead skin on my vertex this morning.
Thought it was dryed minoxidil wich ive heard chould happend but it turned out to be skin when i scratched it... i now have a small red area on my head where the skin used to be... today after shower i noticed it again but this time it was a new area a few cd away.

My theory is that i used too much minoxidil so it still was alot of minoxidil on the scalp when it was supposed to be finnished dryed. I was so dumb that ive sprayed till it ran several places just to be sure to use enough, and saw i had a few small drops of minoxidil on the scalp even 3 hours later... :jackit:

Any tips to what to do? Id hate to stop with minoxidil permamently as it really improved my hairline in just 1 week... Shall i use "Head and Shoulders - care and repair" or keep on with "NISIM normal to oily" shampoo? i want to stop applying minoxidil in the area temporary, and start using it again in smaller doses later. Use Nizoral every 3rd day? ill buy a bottle for first time soon

The minoxidil i use is Recrea Forte - 5% linement btw

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It have now gotten so worse that i have lost 1 layer of skin on over 65% of my head and it is reaching my hairline in a few days so it will be kinda visible for other people... I also think i see the second skinlayer falling off soon too on my vertex :dunno:

I ordered Lee's 5% spironolactone today and hope it will calm it down a bit as it contains Aloe Vero and such. I have not dared to use anything yet, only washing with NISIM F.A.S.T shampoo once a day. Will buy fungoral(Nizoral) ASAP. Thought about tomorrow.

Rogaine Foam will be ordered as soon as i find a shop in europe as i live in Norway and they dont accept it from non-EØs countries like USA. Will start using it as soon as my scalp seems fine. Else it seems like i am shedding alot lately :shakehead:

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even tho none have respoded here i guess someone will get the same symptombs sometime and want to know how another person handeled it and find this by searching...

Now, 10 days after i noticed it so i guess about 11 - 14ish days before it actually started, i no longer get huge skin flakes falling off. In the beginning a had skin flakes on my tower after shower and throughout the day. I do hovever get small, small flakes falling off a few minutes after i shower and in the morning... So i guess it is healing up nicely.

I changed from using a really drying shampoo to just use a normal one exept from nizoral day wich is every 3rd. Completely stopped all threatmens so i just live normally and shower every day. I will soon get an organic shampoo without SLS and i will retry minoxidil threatment then and report back if my skin peel off like this again to check if it was minoxidil or if it was the drying shampoo + drying minoxidil combo who caused it... I will also use a 5% spironolactone with aloe vera who will soften my scalp so guess that is a factor too.

Timmysee

Reaction score
Hi there. You did the right thing by stopping, an irritated scalp is the worst thing for hair loss.

You need something to moisturise your scalp, you're correct about minoxidil being very harsh. You could try the minoxidil foam, or you could try mixing a little olive oil into your existing minoxidil, though it may block uptake. Use a gentle conditioner when you shampoo, and actually using a normal moisturiser overnight helps my scalp to remain in decent condition.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I live in Norway so it is impossible to import roaine foam. My only minoxidil option is the shitty one we got in paramedics here who use 5 hours to dry. I am currently in a "spironolactone from minoxidil.com through customs" test. If it passed through discrete i will order the minoxidil there. Guess it is less irritating as it dont stay wet on my scalp for 5 hours...

Got a mousterising shampoo and conditioner who arrived today. Should i use a conditioner when i am on 2% keto days too or just use the shampoo and no conditioner then? If my scalp seems fine i wil restart on my shitty minoxidil this monday and check how it goes