Can One Manipulate A Drug/solution's Charge By Encasing It In A Charged Vehicle?

Gone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh boy, another question that would-probably-be better-suited-for-a-chemistry-professor-but-I'm-settling-for-this-forum-out of-impatience-and-desperation-for knowledge.

Let's say you had a neutrally charged drug you wanted to use for iontophoresis. You wouldn't be able to use it unless you altered the solution to be ionically positive or negative (iontophoresis requires a charged solution).

Instead of altering the drug's formula, would it instead be possible to encase it in a charged vehicle?

what

Established Member
Reaction score
bump, anyone know chemistry?

Yes, you need to know the isoelectric point of your compound, then put it into a solution with a pH above or below the pI. This will cause the drug to carry a charge. Positive if you manipulate pH below pI, negative if above pI.

Gone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What does PL stand for? And if you repel the drug with iontophoresis, the entire/drug solution will be moved as one? (As opposed to the vehicle leaving the drug behind). Thank you for the help.

Dorasz

Reaction score
What does PL stand for? And if you repel the drug with iontophoresis, the entire/drug solution will be moved as one? (As opposed to the vehicle leaving the drug behind). Thank you for the help.

pi stands for isoelectric point