Can OCD cause hair thinning? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder's

NeedHelp

Reaction score
Hi
I think i have OCD(not sure self diagnosis). I mean I have to touch something in a particular way or keep doing it until i feel satisfied, just things that doesnt make sense. Like sometimes I will get stuck on say a name or a word and i keep thinking and thinking and cant let go of that thought until i figure it out or call someone and ask.

Well anyways my hair started to thin all over(diffused thinning) even some parts of the side of my head is thin. My hairline is intact but the rest are diffused. My question is can this be caused by OCD?

ps you can check out my pics here-> http://photos.yahoo.com/bugsy2377

any input appreciated.

Cassin

Reaction score
Re: Can OCD cause hair thinning? Obsessive Compulsive Disord

NeedHelp said:
Hi
I think i have OCD(not sure self diagnosis). I mean I have to touch something in a particular way or keep doing it until i feel satisfied, just things that doesnt make sense. Like sometimes I will get stuck on say a name or a word and i keep thinking and thinking and cant let go of that thought until i figure it out or call someone and ask.

Well anyways my hair started to thin all over(diffused thinning) even some parts of the side of my head is thin. My hairline is intact but the rest are diffused. My question is can this be caused by OCD?

ps you can check out my pics here-> http://photos.yahoo.com/bugsy2377

any input appreciated.

Souds like OCD to me.

OCD and hairloss? Doubt it unless you are constantly rubbing your head or tugging on hairs or something like it.

Your OCD sounds very mild. For some people it's crippled them leading anything that resembles a normal life.

Hey look at the bright side, with OCD you will never forget treating your hairloss and you will aplly treatments perfectly, and the same way, everytime! :lol:

Reaction score
Some people do compulsively pull their hair and that causes hair loss, but your case looks like standard diffuse thinning.

I'm not an expert or anything though, so my opinion isn't exactly qualified.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno man, right above his ear in one of the pics there is a really thin area, standard diffuse shouldn't go that low i think (at least from what i've seen)... Maybe check thyroid just to be sure? It seems like diffuse male pattern baldness because its kinda centered around the crown, but it seems thin also very low on the sides, which makes me kinda question that....

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
oh and yeah, ocd and male pattern baldness don't have any connection. Are males in your family bald? How old are you?

giggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
But also psychological disorders can have an affect on hair loss...dont count this out

Redbone

Reaction score
I used to suffer from Anxiety and took medication for it. One Doctor, Dr. Lewneberg if he is even a real doctor told me that it causes baldness and the the drug I was on did to- Funny though cause this dipshit didn't know I have all the Pharamcology books in my house and it says nothing about the medication causing hairloss.

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
I have OCD and while it can't CAUSE hair loss it sure as hell ups your anxiety levels which can make EVERYTHING worse! and, of course, if you get meds for the OCD most of the meds have hair loss as a side effect.
Damned either way.

stormshadow

Reaction score
Needhelp, I have the SAME EXACT hair loss as you. I'm not as thinned as you, but I'm losing it where you are.

I've suffered from OCD since I was 15. I didnt get it treated properly until this year (at the age of 23). I've had 2 thyroid tests that both came back normal. Dont know what to do. I was on Paxil for 3 years but got off of all medicine this past june. No one in my family is bald. No uncles or grandparents. I've checked, and even my parents grandparents werent bald. I'm doomed