Can my GP prescribe me Propecia or Proscar?

only_glass

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my post over on "Tell Your Story". Basically, I'm a 19 year old guy, from the UK, and I've been experiencing hair loss for just under a year. I visited two GPs, neither of whom saw much of a problem, and then, in January, I saw a dermatologist, who didn't see any problems either. However, I think that if I went to see one of the GPs in my local health centre now, like in the next few days, and showed him/her photos of me from a couple of years ago, or even last year, they would acknowledge that there is a problem.

If they did say "yeah, you're experiencing male pattern baldness", though, could they prescribe me Propecia or Proscar, or will I have to go back to the dermatologist and convince him to give me a prescription? Obviously, if I can't get a prescription, I'm going to have to go the online route.

Thanks in advance.

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get a prescription from your Doctor, but it is not available on NHS so will cost you about £30 a month on a private prescription. You can also get it from Boots if a chemist in your area is running the Hair Retention programme (which is what I am doing). Price there is also about £30 a month.

Pondle

Reaction score
You can also get a prescription from Dr John Ashcroft, a regular GP in Derbyshire who will post Proscar (finasteride 5mg, you cut it into quarters or fifths) to any location in the UK. A 15 month supply is £120.00 :)

I get my Proscar prescription from this guy, although I've also just bought Dutas from inhousepharmacy.co.uk Anyway, you can reach the Doctor at 07971472823, email: jsashcroft@doctors.org.uk

only_glass

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I e-mailed Dr Ashcroft yesterday morning, but haven't received a reply yet - how long is it likely to take before I get one? Would I have been better phoning him? I'm now determined to get on Proscar as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.

only_glass

Reaction score
Pondle - is the Proscar from Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) genuine? I've gone through a number of old threads in an attempt to find an answer, but it's all rather ambiguous, with some people saying it's definitely not fake, and other people observing that it's more likely to be counterfeit stuff because there's the possibility it comes from Far East Asia. As you can tell, I'm a little confused. That said, if Dr Ashcroft hasn't replied to my e-mail by tomorrow or Thursday, I'm going to phone him - I don't want to pester him, but at the same time I'd rather get Proscar from a GP than from an online pharmacy.

Pondle

Reaction score
only_glass said:
Pondle - is the Proscar from Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) genuine? I've gone through a number of old threads in an attempt to find an answer, but it's all rather ambiguous, with some people saying it's definitely not fake, and other people observing that it's more likely to be counterfeit stuff because there's the possibility it comes from Far East Asia. As you can tell, I'm a little confused. That said, if Dr Ashcroft hasn't replied to my e-mail by tomorrow or Thursday, I'm going to phone him - I don't want to pester him, but at the same time I'd rather get Proscar from a GP than from an online pharmacy.

I got Dutas from Inhouse, but Proscar from Dr. Ashcroft. I've phoned the Doctor once, he answered there and then and I received Proscar in the post a few days after sending him a cheque. He's a regular GP so obviously won't be able to take calls in the middle of consultations, outcalls and practice business.

As for Inhouse, well they say that they have been in business for over 10 years now and have no doubt concerning authenticity of any of the medications they supply. However, like all internet pharmacies that supply drugs without prescription and conceal their physical address, it's difficult to be 100% sure. On the positive side they do have a good reputation on various hairloss and other drug-related forums.