Can Minoxidil make you lose hair?

kwyjibo

Reaction score
First of all, I'll introduce myself. 25, NW2, virtually stopped hair loss since using Nizoral last year and going on a healthy diet (used to be on a high protein low carb diet). I can tell virtually no differnce between now and last year's pictures. All I want to do now is get back what I lost. Here's my pics.

October '06
ynrl4.jpg

October '05
rpdb3.jpg

I just bought some minoxidil the other day, and after reading some of the posts here about "minoxidil hair" being dependent on minoxidil really discouraged me as did the talk about side effects. So, if you get new hair from it, and quit using the minoxidil, all those new hairs disappear as I understand it. I was wondering, what about the existing hairs that I have now? Can they "convert" to minoxidil hairs if exposed to the treatment so that they die off if I get off of minoxidil? In other words, if minoxidil is used for a period of time, is it bad for your hair in the long run?

Also, what I want to do is use something to give me a temporary fix, and then get hair transplantation surgery. How much would it cost to restore my hair line? How many grafts do you think I'd need?

Finally, what about finasteride? Is it the same deal as minoxidil: a temporary fix, or are the new hairs (if any) not dependent on the medicine?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil: Any gain will be lost after stopping it. Some hairs may become dependent on minoxidil. For example, hair that would fall out anyway may get hooked on minoxidil and grow, then be lost after you stop. I stress the "may" factor. If indeed you are not losing hair anymore, then if you start minoxidil and keep with your current regimen, and actually don't lose hair, then if you stop minoxidil, you may only lose what you gained and return to base.

Propecia/Finasteride: This will inhibit DHT, which will allow your hair (which is already there) to eat. Once nutrients are able to reach these hairs, they will grow back thicker and stronger. Dormant follicles MAY be awakened (this is where regrowth is seen I'm assuming). Not sure if new hair follicles can be formed. Again, if you stop this treatment, you will start back on the balding cycle.

If you are looking to get a hair transplant, I suggest reading up about HM. This is a new exciting procedure (not out yet), which may be better than a hair transplant. Don't expect it anytime too soon though.

As with your hair, I think it looks fine. Just don't use so much gel in it. Maybe use a matte product instead, one which doesn't bunch all your hair together. This will give you a fuller look.

Goodluck on whatever you decide to do.

kwyjibo

Reaction score
Thanks person_123.

One thing that I'm thinking is that in the long run, minoxidil might be harmful because it has alcohol in it and chemicals that might be bad for the scalp. I wonder if there's a risk that while creating new minoxidil dependent hairs, it's effect on the scalp and existing natural hairs would be deleterious.

It seems that you're saying that with finasteride, you will strengthen the hairs that are atrophied, and once you stop, you continue on the balding cycle, and that new hairs may or may not form. However, if I actually have stopped or virtually stopped to balding process, this should mean the weak hairs which the drug revived would remain healthy, right?

I skimmed through a little about HM. Very interesting. Have you read anything about when it's expected to be widely available?

PS: It's not gel or grease, just water. I'd be embarrassed to go around like that, even if I were a NW1. :)

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
woh dude...it was like i was lookin at my own pictures...Same hair style same hair loss. Side locks....gosh...very similar...I also have that small little pimple like thing that you have on your forhead too. very astonishing..the similarity

Yeah you have maintained good over the year.

I am using minoxidil for past 4 and a half months now. I see small vellous hairs along my hairline..they have been there for a while now...and i dont see anythin happening to them now.

Beware of the minoxidil shed. Also as already mentioned once you are on it, whether it works or not you ll be probably stuck to it coz u wont leave it for the fear of losing Minx dependent hairs even if they regrew nothing.
minoxidil also makes some of the existing hairs dependent on itself. So If you stop it, you may lose those too. Think all this before you start.

JWM

Reaction score
KWY

What type of Nizoral were you using? The 1% or prescription 2%?

kwyjibo

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
woh dude...it was like i was lookin at my own pictures...Same hair style same hair loss. Side locks....gosh...very similar...I also have that small little pimple like thing that you have on your forhead too. very astonishing..the similarity

Yeah you have maintained good over the year.

I am using minoxidil for past 4 and a half months now. I see small vellous hairs along my hairline..they have been there for a while now...and i dont see anythin happening to them now.

Beware of the minoxidil shed. Also as already mentioned once you are on it, whether it works or not you ll be probably stuck to it coz u wont leave it for the fear of losing Minx dependent hairs even if they regrew nothing.
minoxidil also makes some of the existing hairs dependent on itself. So If you stop it, you may lose those too. Think all this before you start.

Yeah, I've come to the decision to just not use the minoxidil I bought. There goes $20. I'm going to experiment with a homemade herbal shampoo while continuing the nizoral, and stuff like MSM (been on it for two week and feel physically better, thinking more clearly, though no effect on hair growth yet) and saw palmetto in hopes of thickening those weaker hairs along the hair-line while waiting it out until I can afford hair transplantation or HM. I'm always weary of drugs/medicine that you need to depend on. Good luck to you NW2 bro. :wink:

EDIT: dude, I just checked out your site. it's almost eerie how similar we are, lol.

JWM said:
KWY

What type of Nizoral were you using? The 1% or prescription 2%?

Off-the-shelf 1% solution. Started by using it 3 times a week, and now, just once a week. Before I was on it, I noticed "tightness" around the hairline. It's a godsend (at least for me it was).

maudib777

Reaction score
What exactly does Nizoral do for losing/thinning/balding? And can you get it at a store (which one), or do you need to buy it online?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
kwyjibo said:
I was wondering, what about the existing hairs that I have now? Can they "convert" to minoxidil hairs if exposed to the treatment so that they die off if I get off of minoxidil? In other words, if minoxidil is used for a period of time, is it bad for your hair in the long run?

I think the answer is 'no'...as this graph illustrates.

file_1.gif

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
BEHMESH said:
Does that mean minoxidil is good for 2 years?

No...it means it peaks at 2 years then slowly loses effectiveness. If you stopped after 2 years you would lose the hair you gained suddenly. Everybody is different though...the graph just represents averages.

riahwen

Reaction score
I would be happy just stay on the baseline...

Actually, the problem is not the DHT etc.. The problem is with the DNS. There is already programmed every information about which hair (from where/and when) will be lost.
We can not stop this process only slow it down a little bit with spending a lot buying pills shampos etc...

We are depend on the chromosome research... :freaked2:

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
riahwen said:

Actually, the problem is not the DHT etc.. The problem is with the DNS. There is already programmed every information about which hair (from where/and when) will be lost.
We can not stop this process only slow it down a little bit with spending a lot buying pills shampos etc...

Yes,

I always knew Domain Name System was bad for my hair

WTF!!??

riahwen

Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
riahwen said:

Yes,

I always knew Domain Name System was bad for my hair

WTF!!??

Sorry, the english is not my first language.

That is DNA but should know it...